Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new Monster. Unfortunately, I'm short, with a 27 inch inseam. I sat on an 1100s and it was just too tall for me. I'm not as young as I was when a 32 inch seat height didn't bother me. It does now. Anyway, at another dealership, I found an 1100 and tried it. It was lower--enough so that, with a low seat, it will work for me. This puzzles me since Ducati lists the same dimensions for both bikes. I compared this bike to a nearby 1100s, which was also too tall for me. Near as I could tell, both bikes were completely stock, with the same standard seats, and the same number of preload threads showing at the bottom of the shocks. Both forks were mounted the same in the triple clamps. There was no salesman there to answer my questions. So, is the 1100 really lower than the 1100s or did I stumble on a strange 1100?

Thanks, Oldyellowbiker

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
monster 1100 seat height

afik. ride height is the same. i'm short too & opted for s2r 1000- you can lower the suspension on these, you cannot on the new 1100: no linkage on new bike. even with optional lower seat, the 1100 is too tall for me. on my s2r i used my 620 seat (shaved ~ .75"), added lowering link for another .75-1", raised fork legs .75" to level out bike. now fits nearly perfect with still enough GC to corner. bike is also loads cheaper than 1100.
cheers,
duknut

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ride height between then 696 and 1100 is different. I know of onE dealer who swapped the clevis from a 696 over to an 1100, effectively lowering the 1100 a little bit. They had to adjust the front to keep the geometery the same (so I was told). I really liked that idea cause the stock 1100 height is right at my limit too. In then end I bought my 1100 from a local dealer; the modified 1100 was 4.5 hrs away and I just couldn't justify driving that far for the same price.

Maybe the 1100 you sat on was a similar setup?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I'm in the market for a new Monster. Unfortunately, I'm short, with a 27 inch inseam. I sat on an 1100s and it was just too tall for me. I'm not as young as I was when a 32 inch seat height didn't bother me. It does now. Anyway, at another dealership, I found an 1100 and tried it. It was lower--enough so that, with a low seat, it will work for me. This puzzles me since Ducati lists the same dimensions for both bikes. I compared this bike to a nearby 1100s, which was also too tall for me. Near as I could tell, both bikes were completely stock, with the same standard seats, and the same number of preload threads showing at the bottom of the shocks. Both forks were mounted the same in the triple clamps. There was no salesman there to answer my questions. So, is the 1100 really lower than the 1100s or did I stumble on a strange 1100?

Thanks, Oldyellowbiker
I had the same thing happen, at the same dealership with 2 different standard 1100's. When I asked, I was told that one was a demo, and the suspension was set, also it had been ridden for 600 miles (so the told me the rear also settled a bit from being ridden). Made sense to me. I'm in the same boaut, I'm somewhere between 27 and 28 inch inseam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm well aware of how to lower the older models with suspension links. If you check some of my old posts from years ago, you will find me explaining this setup. I'm interested in what is meant by exchanging the "clevis" from the 696 to the 1100. I really don't think that Ducati uses such cheap springs that they would settle about 3/4th inch after 600 miles. Somebody at that dealersdhip was blowing smoke. Clearly, there is a way to slightly lower an 1100. I'm trying to find out how. I tried to contact the dealership I visited today. The salesman didn't have a clue. From my experience, salesmen at too many dealerships have no clue.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I really don't think that Ducati uses such cheap springs that they would settle about 3/4th inch after 600 miles. Somebody at that dealersdhip was blowing smoke. Clearly, there is a way to slightly lower an 1100. I'm trying to find out how. I tried to contact the dealership I visited today. The salesman didn't have a clue. From my experience, salesmen at too many dealerships have no clue.
Actually the guy that told me that is the Ducati Sales manager at Cliff's, and a knowledgeable guy. Definitely a straight shooter as far as I know (or can tell), he's a long time rider and MSF course instructor, not a smoke blowing kind of guy. Anyway he said the primary reason the demo model was different because the preload had been set on the shock differently from stock. He also said it may have settled a bit from being ridden. If I remember right there is a shop that sells an adjustable shock that posted in a thread here somewhere. Also there is a lower seat option that is supposed to be 20 mm lower than stock (although I'd probably send the seat out to Spencer at Great day to ride to mod). Other than that I have no idea... lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I owe Johnny 5 and Cliff's an apology. I finally found someone in the service department at the dealership I went to who helped me. The 1100 I sat on was completely stock, and it was a demonstrater. That means that the 1100 has weaker springs than the 1100s (no surprise), which also means that 1100 owners need to check their sag (front and rear) and recheck it from time to time. As to the clevis: this is a forked shaped block to which the top of the shock is mounted. It in turn is bolted to the frame. Both the 696 and the 1100 have the same length shocks. The 1100's clevis has a spacer on top of it to raise the bike. The spacer is part of the clevis, so to lower an 1100, you swap for a 696 clevis. In turn, to raise a 696 you bolt in an 1100 clevis. Remember that the tires are different on the two bikes so you won't achieve exact ride heights between the two bikes. Also, you need to raise or lower the forks to compensate at the front.

Regards, Oldyellowbiker

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Awesome that's great info... so really between that Clevis swap and a lower/shaved seat I can get the 1100 to a pretty manageable height for my inseam. I'm about a 27" inseam. I'll never flat foot it, lol but I'm happy on the balls of my feet. I can live with it stock but I'd be much happier with it lower.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think he hails from Planet Spam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts