Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, this is my first bike, and my dealer knows it... they seem to be real reputable, but some of these charges are kinda sketchy

First of all, the bike is a full $6499
on top of that I have to pay:

$300 delivery
$300 Assembly (and to go over the bike... whats this!?)
$99 Paperwork fee
$450 sales tax
$100 tag/title
$450 for extended 4yr warranty

I would NEVER purchase an automobile this way, but It seems that motorcycles are different.....

Am I getting screwed here? I dont have a whole lot of money, and I'd like to get at least a DECENT deal....

What do you guys think? advice? suggestions? any help would be great...

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If the bike is used I would politely tell the dealer no way on delivery and assembley charges.

Taxes are set by the state/local government so you can check those numbers.

I paid $110 in tag, title, and processing fees on a $6K bike last July. Up to around $180 for that is not unheard of.

Extended warranty I don't know what they go for.

To me it sounds like the questionable charges listed are just to pad the profit margin, unless the bike is new. Then the dealer is somewhat more justified in tacking on those kinds of charges.

If the bike is used and the dealer persists, I would recommend pass and wait for a better deal to come along

M

·
0 Posts
my understanding is that the ducati msrp includes assembly and freight.... a couple of years ago (2001) i believe dna bumped up all the msrp prices by $500 to cover this.

taxes are a fact of life... the paperwork fee sounds bogus... tag and title sounds double what it should cost you at the local dmv.... and that 4 year extended warranty is optional (in fact based on my experience with ducati and the effectiveness of their warranty service i wouldn't even bother)

if the 6499 figure is the msrp then i believe the dealer is taking you for a ride for about $750 and another $450 for extended warranty.

M

·
0 Posts
I'd say that's a bit high. First - if 6499 is the full MSRP, you should be able to negotiate something off the top. Fright charge is not uncommon and $300 isn't terribly out of line. $300 for 'assembly' is WAY to high. I had to pay for a pre-delivery inspection, which was bout $80. The paperwork fee is annoying, and I hate dealers that do this kind of crap, but most of them are very unwilling to waive it. Nothing you can do about tax and title fees - just make sure the numbers are correct. Not sure about the extended warranty price, but it seems a bit high to me, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

It sounds like the dealer is treating this like a commodity that has a fixed price. It's a vehicle just like any other, and can be negotiated the same way. Some dealers get it in their heads that Ducati is exclusive enough that they don't have to negotiate. Unfortunately if they're the only dealer within 200 miles, that may just be the case. If that IS the case you'd be better off trying to find a good used model.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is a new bike. a 2003 model.

and yes, This is the only dealer is a wide radius...

Sounds like I'm stuck huh!

I would get a used bike, but then I'd have to pay everything up front. At least with this bike, I get 0% financing.......

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
My brand-new 2002 620ieDark was on sale for 6199, I offered them $6000, they took it. My total figure out the door ( including $360 in PA sales tax) was $ 6459. There was no frieght and set up fee, there was a tag & title fee of $99! I would check other dealers. There should not be a frieght & set up fee.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
It may be worth going outside your "wide" radius. Calll some other dealers and see what they offer.
You are the BUYER, you are never STUCK! You could look for a leftover 2002, they would be ready to get those off the floor and they still carry the 2 year warranty from the date of purchase!!! Keep looking!!!

X

·
0 Posts
You can get anything you want out the door at MSRP... just leave them your number and go away for a few days.. They will call you.. tell them exactly what you want and let them come to you..besides there are always other monsters out there...don't fall in love with the first one you see.. I thought I loved the yellow did the research called around and found a new 02 senna in May of 02 for less than MSRP...I paid cash for it...well I didn't finance it through a dealer... but that is a different story and will also help your negotiations! Good Luck! and I have a real trick 02 that is always for sale!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys,

I'm going to stick to a $7000 OTD price. Is that reasonable?

I figure that $6400 + $500 in tax + $100 tag and title is fair. WHat do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RedDuke,

What exactly did you pay for? Did you pay Delivery and a "build up" fee?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I paid $400 "Dealer Prep & Freight"
$48 DOC fee
around $100 for Title & Plates
and then your tax percentage may vary
So to answer you quetion, I think the only charge I had was the $400.

X

·
0 Posts
I paid MSRP out the door.. but I drove 3 hours one way to pick it up... well worth the trip for the savings!

·
Registered
109 Posts
mine was 5995 and i rode it home for 6325 (and that included a helmet) with no haggling. my dealer told me that "delivery" and "assembly" is BS and the other dealers add that stuff so they can "cut you a deal if their manager lets them" by just removing it.
find a dealer that doesnt charge that stuff (might i reccomend moto europa- www.motoeuropa.com), get their OTD price and tell your dealer that is he doesn't match or beat it, your gonna take your business there. $100 says he will cave.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I paid about $1000 over MSRP to get my bike OTD. $400 was the set-up fee. Taxes at about 6%. Tag and title can be done by you if you're not financing ($25). If I had found this site beforehand......I would have known better. Oh well :-/

T

·
0 Posts
This is a really great thread especially for newbies like myself. Getting scammed by a dealer is a big fear of mine so its nice to hear beforehand some of the retarded fees that they'll try to blindside me with! Seeing the actual numbers that people paid is also a big help.

Stuff like this should be put in a faq or something.

-Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts