Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 00 M900. I has a Yuasa (or however its spelled) battery and has a few caps on the top (as in it doesn't look like a sealed battery). Is this one of the famous leaking batteries that eat away rear cylinders and side covers?

Kevin

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Kevin, you're pretty much in the clear.

All of the leaky batteries on the 'battery acid' thread are in S4's and '02 and later monsters; those with the 'ST Based' frames. All of the leakers have been GS or Fiamm (GS made) batteries.

Do make sure that your battery vent hose is secured to the battery, some folks with the early style monsters like yours have had the hoses come off, and then had acid damage.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin, you're pretty much in the clear.

All of the leaky batteries on the 'battery acid' thread are in S4's and '02 and later monsters; those with the 'ST Based' frames. All of the leakers have been GS or Fiamm (GS made) batteries.

Do make sure that your battery vent hose is secured to the battery, some folks with the early style monsters like yours have had the hoses come off, and then had acid damage.
I think its still attached. I was looking the bike over throroughly to get a feel for how things were put together/how they work and noticed the battery tube you mentioned. I *think* its attached, but ill double check. Actually, the truth is that i was thinking about having the frame and wheels powder coated and was looking the bike over to get a feel for the hassle level id be looking at to remove everything from the frame :)

Kevin

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Kevin,
IIRC, s4strati got his frame powdercoated, and I think others on this BB have as well. I believe he could give you a pretty good idea of what's involved.

After thinking a little more, I have a memory that there may have been one lister here who had his battery pop on an 'early style' monster. May have been from overcharging due to a fried regulator/rectifier, but I'm not sure. I recall he may have posted in the 'battery acid' thread.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
After a bit of acid has made its way down the vent hose, the hose becomes very stiff and no longer wants to stay in place. I found that out the hard way with my 97. It came off several times, with me being careful to reattach it properly, then I even added safety wire. Nothing seemed to work as a permanent fix.

The correct solution is to get a new vent hose. I picked up some air tubing from an aquarium store, heated the end so that it would fit onto the battery, then let it cool and shrink itself into a tight connection. That one never came back off.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a bit of acid has made its way down the vent hose, the hose becomes very stiff and no longer wants to stay in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts