Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The general feedback is that performance is a whole different experience but maintenance is both often and expensive.
Anyone also have a non-Ducati and can compare the two cost-wise?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Holy **** ! That's a lot. I assume you're talking about the dealer for all your maintenance, Buhgaboo. Makes me feel a lot better about doing my own work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's the problem...doing it yourself saves you labor but factory parts get very expensive. And 2k covers nothing...valves and oil changes done yourself can easily be done under 500 but if something brakes...ie hit a pothole...warp a brake rotor...burn a valve...it gets insanely expensive

I do all my own work...just spent 2k replacing a bent rotor bent rim and top triple clamp from a stupid pothole...never mind the TPS...burned valve...spare motor...set of heads...I see why people don't like to put miles on them. It doesn't have to... but it does get expensive
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
You asked for a comparison ? My Triumph Bonneville , my Harley, and my Hayabusa probably cost me $ 300 last year combined, not counting fuel , plates and insurance, which varies from state to state. This year I'll need tires on the Harley, maybe $300 installed. I need Fork seals on the Triumph and Busa, less than $100 combined with me doing the work. By comparison I'm going to spend about $600 on my two Ducatis, for fork seals, steering bearings, chain , slave cylinder, timing belts, and valve shims. I can't count parts breakage beyond that, because nothing else is wrong right now. I think Buhgaboo must ride harder and more miles than I do, and had some bad luck, too. I hit a monstrous pothole on my SS a couple of years ago. It blew a fork seal and cracked the front fender, but otherwise the bike was ok. My testicles , on the other hand, did not fair so well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You asked for a comparison ? My Triumph Bonneville , my Harley, and my Hayabusa probably cost me $ 300 last year combined, not counting fuel , plates and insurance, which varies from state to state. This year I'll need tires on the Harley, maybe $300 installed. I need Fork seals on the Triumph and Busa, less than $100 combined with me doing the work. By comparison I'm going to spend about $600 on my two Ducatis, for fork seals, steering bearings, chain , slave cylinder, timing belts, and valve shims. I can't count parts breakage beyond that, because nothing else is wrong right now. I think Buhgaboo must ride harder and more miles than I do, and had some bad luck, too. I hit a monstrous pothole on my SS a couple of years ago. It blew a fork seal and cracked the front fender, but otherwise the bike was ok. My testicles , on the other hand, did not fair so well.
It's definitely sounding like the parts are more expensive and the maintenance more frequent on Ducati's.

Regarding the testicles, I use this (no affiliation) or something like it that can be worn as an underpants and the cup inserted and removed as needed though it is a PITD to work the cup back into the pants while wearing regular pants:
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/sh ... trcmpshspm

·
Registered
148 Posts
1. Buy a manual from LT Snyder.
2. Buy a shim kit. One-time expense, pays dividends every time you do a valve check/adjust.
3. Belts--$100 a set. Pretty reasonable, and after the first time, easy to change.
4. Everything else--gaskets, oil filters, and normal maintenance/upkeep items...yeah, they are a bit pricey compared to a Japanese bike, but overall, a fairly minor expense.

The expenses related to tires, fuel, insurance, speeding tickets are applicable to any bike.

The tow-truck syndrome is a variable--it can happen to any bike. Are Euro bikes more susceptible? Probably. Can you quantify it? Probably not. If it concerns you, buy new, get an extended warranty and trade in when it expires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I spend 6k a year all in keeping the wheels rolling...15k miles...roughly 2k for gas and insurance...another 2-2,5k for tires...2k for parts or maintenence

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
2-2.5k for tires to go 15k miles... not right unless half those miles are track miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I do go back and forth all the time weather or not I'm wasting my money on this machine ...If l had a choice to do it all over again..l would... This answers all my needs. Are there faster bikes? Of course. This is my first motorcycle ever and in all my research I saw that most everyone either eventually owns a Ducati at some point or wondered what they are like ...forget the costs ...Its expensive but I have no bike envy... and everyday I get faster and more comfortable and never do l feel like l'm ready for a different bike... this has everything I need or want.... Everyone rides differently... Liter bike? I'm already burning through tires fast enough... why bother... as I said earlier, it doesn't have to be this expensive but if you find yourself not riding because of the ever present maintenance approaching... Start reading the forum posts. . . you will find your afraid of nothing...lt's all do able and so many people here to help.... Costs be damned

Wow... yeah. I guess that expense would apply to any model motorcycle run that hard. Jealous we don't have that **** in Florida.
Florida. . . JenningsGP makes me jealous... I wish for closer tracks.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
No, it doesn't have to be. Parts are somewhat more expensive than for Japanese bikes, but not by a huge amount. You can certainly spend a bundle on expensive accessories, but those are optional. Maintaining a Ducati is just the same as for any other bike except for the valves and cambelts. Those do need to be checked/adjusted/replaced more often than in other bikes, but it's not a huge deal.

My M900 Monster cost me about 15 cents a mile for *everything* -- gas, oil, tires, maintenance, repairs, insurance, everything -- which for me was about $1700 to $2200 a year, since I ride it for everyday transportation, 11K to 15K per year. That lasted until I had about 175K on it; after that it needed to have some money put into it, as a lot of stuff had worn out in the brake and clutch systems, and suspension. I now have 261K on it, and it still runs fine.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have 21k miles on my 1100. It's cost me more to maintain it than my Japanese bikes due to components failing prematurely: stator, chain, starter, battery. I've replaced all the components myself which saved me about $125/hour on labor. I'm still trying to figure out the cold weather starting issue, so that will add to the cost of repair whenever I figure out what it is.

Other than that, it costs me an extra $200/year more to maintain my Ducati than my Japanese bikes, again with me doing the work. This goes to the valve service tool rental which includes the manual and shim kit for $100, shipped to and from, and new belts.

If you're fortunate enough to get a Duc that doesn't have failing components, then the valve and belt service is all it should cost you extra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been lucky with my 1200. I know the previous owner who bought the bike new. He did some long trips,I picked it up with a little over 9k miles on it. It's had all dealer services done on time. I like doing things myself. If I still own it when valves need to be done I know a German guy that can do it so I'll learn. I just did the first oil change since I've owned it. Pretty sure the dealer put the oil filter on with an impact! Ridiculous tight!!!!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts