Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...your bike is faster or more expensive that it actually is? Most people I talk to assume, without me even saying anything, that my bike is faster than almost any other bike out there and/or that it's more expensive than it actually is just because it's a Ducati. Is it my responsibility as a Ducati owner to enlighten them, or is it okay to let them believe what they want?

M

·
0 Posts
Anybody who knows ANYTHING about bikes will know the capablities of most bikes out there. So I am assuming that these people are non-riders. So let them think whatever they want.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That happens to me all the time! I tell people I have a Ducati and a Yamaha FZ1 and the first thing they say is "so that Ducati is like a racing bike?" or "how fast does that Ducati go?"
I just say "yes" and "fast" now, I stopped trying to explain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yeah, happens a lot. 8) I actually down play it. I say that it is a real beast...but it isn't the superbike that everyone thinks of. I just say it is a great all around bike and it is the best "bang for the buck" i have found. When I tell them I only paid $5,500..they want to know where the nearest dealership is.

I actually had one guy ask...."what did you pay for that thing..like $20 grand?". It is better to let people know you are a bargain hunter than Mr./Mrs. Big bucks. That way you don't come across as a snob, and they don't try to bum off you ;D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I here it all the time and I figure if they don't know any better, let them belive whatever the hell they want. Besides it always gives me a good laugh. ;D

·
Registered
915 Posts
It depends on who it is...if I'm feeling a little guilty about my purchase, I'll qualify it with "It really wasn't as much as you think..." Of course I never actually tell them how much it was though. Since its my first bike I don't want it to look like I'm a total poser.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I had a friend refer to my Monster as a 'cruiser' to other people at dinner the other night. I almost slapped him upside the head.

A

·
0 Posts
I just smile at the those people when they ask if it costs 20K or some other ridiculous amount. ;) Even though I only have a lil' 620 Dark (about 6K), they don't need to know it's the least expensive and not that quick! :)

Let em think that it's "unattainable" for them! *LOL* 8)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i'm the only duc rider at my college, and people think i'm really rich or something to be able to afford a unique bike. of course this is right next to camp pendelton, so we get a lot of GSXR's and CBR's.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Same here...lot's of folks think my monster 750 is really fast and expensive. If they ask I'll tell them the truth...but if they don't I'll just say "yeah it is pretty fast".

Compared to almost any car it is fast...lol.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Isn't it neat though, to be able to own an obvious and immediately recognizable cool bike without it having to be an R1 or some exotic overkill? That's the real Monster value, IMO.

D

·
0 Posts
I get that same thing

when people ask how fast it goes, I say "it goes 55 real well"

What is the top speed? I have had it up to 55.

I useually get a laugh and "I bet"

C

·
0 Posts
I think its more fun to tell them that it is really slow and really cheap. With my Hawk GT, I always get comments about how fast it is, which we all know that there ain't nuthin' fast about a 45hp Hawk GT. I love the look on their faces when I say it has a hard time getting out of its own way...

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
326 Posts
Most peple assume my Boxster is an $80k car... why correct them? My neighbor probably thinks I'm a drug dealer but I know for a fact his V-10 Dodge truck with bling-bling wheels, lift, etc. cost him more than my Porsche.

When I had my BMW R1200-C and rode with my wife on her H-D cruiser people simply assumed that my bike cost $20-30k. I heard, "Wow, when did BMW start making bikes?" all the time ;)

What most people don't seem to realize is that the big H-Ds and Custom Choppers tend to be more expensive than most, if not all, so called exotic sports bikes.

Most peope simply never look beyond their saftey zones. They want a car, the go to the Honda dealer, they want a bike... they go to the honda dealer. Porsches, BMWs, Ducatis, etc. are for evil rich people so they never even look.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts