Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it is worth it to core the cans. The 620 sound ok as it is but, I would like it to have a deeper throat at idea and on acceleration. If I core the cans does she need to be remapped? How hard is it to core the cans? Has any one ever pollished stock cans and if so how?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've cored a set of Monster exhausts. Unless you really, really want to do it yourself, Strati offers a real bargain for doing your pipes for you and he's very experienced at it.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the ones with most of the insides removed. I cut about 3 inches off of mine and rearranged some of the internal paths to get better flow, but kept the small outlet on the tip. I'm happy with both the sound and performance of mine. The fully cored and shortened pipes are loud, but don't sound as nice as the carbon fiber slipons that I used to have. My current pipes are about half way between the stock sound and the slipons, which was what I was aiming for.

If you just core your pipes, or even get slipons, without modifying the airbox, it will be hard to tell any difference in power. Generally, you can get away with modified pipes without remapping or rejetting.

When I cored my cans, I spent several hours at it and used up about 10 hacksaw blades doing it. Obviously it's better if you have a bandsaw or some other good power tools available.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Let me throw out my $2 worth (my oponions are worth more than cents), I have a set of cored pipes from Strati on my M620 and they are awesome. I have nothing to compare them to since I have never seen another monster other than mine, but I get PLENTY of compliments from all sorts or riders. I am hoping to one day get a sound clip and post it, but until then, take my word for it. Strati knows what he's doing, does all the work and let's you just sit back and enjoy when you install them. I was actually thinking about buying another set and having them shortened to see the sound difference.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I had a set of fully modified pipes done by Strati as well... they sounded great. As a matter of fact, I preferred the sound of those to my new Sil round hi-mounts. The Sils are very loud, but the Strati modded pipes had a deeper, throatier rumble. The bike has more power with the Sils, but the sound is louder and nastier.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strati, how much do you charge for exhaust mod and where are you located?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 620 and I'm in the process of coring my pipes. I bought a set of stock pipes off ebay for $30 in case I didn't like it. I'll let you know how I make out.

S

·
0 Posts
hey andrew,
i'm located in burlington, massachusetts. as noted, there's a bunch of info/pics/faq/etc... on my site. there's also a bunch of info/pics of mods i've done to my monster s4 (and many apply to the 620) if you're interested.
feel free to shoot me an email if you'd like to have your cans done ([email protected]).

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I have a set of Strati pipes and they rock. Plus they still have all the epa markings on them, this may help if pulled over for being too loud.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Strati's pipes kick some serious decible butt. The shop that is putting my bike back together loves the way they sound and so do I, the price is great too. I have the fully modded shorty pipes.

M

·
0 Posts
i have a set of stock pipes, full mod oval stocks (done per Strati's good info), and a set of 900ss pipes (round) modified about like the half mod. The 900ss pipes were piecut and welded at the base of the can to fit like the stock ovals. The ss pipes were quite different inside, but still farily straight forward to modify.

I change back and forth between the two sets of modified cans. The full mods are LOUD and sweet. The ss pipes are still loud enough and are a little more comforatable on long runs. I actually like the looks of the round pipes better. The stock pipes hang on the wall...I am saving them for some reason. I guess they are too cheap on ebay to cut up the originals.
I have less than a $100 in both sets of modified pipes. Ducatis don't have to be expensive.

My son has bought a set of stock ovals to modify and fit on his Ninja 250. Looks like it is not going to be too difficult. I told him he needed to take off the Ducati logo from the cans, but he thinks it looks better with it on.....hmmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts