Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is it possible to do a

I saw that but i want to know if they do it with a 620 maybe it has not enough power!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Is it possible to do a  wheelie  wit

It may be stretching it a bit to wheelie a 620. I'd look for some peaks in the road to hit, to get the front end up a little more easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I hope you can wheelie the 620 ,,I have not been on a bike yet I could not wheelie..I love to wheelie my daughters z50 and it has a whole 2.5 hp...Heck, I used to wheelie my Indian Scout it didn't like to but it would do it....Practice,Practice,Practice.....VTM

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

I saw that but i want to know if they do it with a 620 maybe it has not enough power!!
I would think it was do-able.. with the clutch, a little bit of bounce, and throwing your weight back though. That takes a bit more skill, I guess because you end up jerking the handlebars, making it hard to keep it all straight. I did it once on a 600 cc Yamaha seca II, slammed my nuts when it came back down, and have not really had the urge to try it again.
My 750 monster will lift the front wheel in 2nd, but only just a bit. Not really trying to do it, since the handlebars give a good wiggle when it hits back down.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

change the gearing, exhaust, open air box, power commander, etc... Then it will be more easily done.

I just got some Marvic Magnesium wheels and a gearing change for my 620, I'll let you know this weekend if it makes a difference ;)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

I gaurantee that the 620 will NOT wheelie on it's own, even with PCIII, open airbox and pipes.
You are gonna have to work the clutch and throttle to get it up.
But once you learn what it takes to get it there, it will probably be easy, but just a wide open throttle ain't gonna do it. :'(

·
Registered
127 Posts

Clutch. Yes. Yes. Yes. You can wheelie any motorcycle. Forget about bouncing your front forks or throwing your weight rearward, or pulling back on the bars.... not necessary. Use the clutch.

It is simply a matter of coordination between your throttle hand and your clutch fingers. It takes no more effort than breathing. It does not require body english to get the front wheel to rise slowly and under your complete control. It does however take practice.

Changing the gearing will make the front respond easier, but whats necessary is the feel that you develope in your practice. The trick is to let the clutch spring free of your fingers. (Do not ride it) Simply let it spring from your fingers. Thats the trigger. Coupled with the right RPM's and up she'll come.

Beginners naturally will fear this and will immediately roll the throttle forward. This will result in you coming down hard. You'll knock your mirrors loose on impact. With practice you will learn to put aside your fear. Once the wheel is in the air, it is throttle which will control the smoothness, length of your wheelie and how softly you can set it down. Relax, you will not flip her backwards. Just wind it out trhrough first gear, When the RPMS peak, she'll gently come back down. If you get vertical, there is enough engine breaking to throw you forward if you simply abdicate control of the throttle. Just quickly blip it down and back on again. It'll soften your landing.

Practice. Your 620 has plenty of power. But like my 750 it will never raise its front tire, not even a little bit, on throttle alone. There simply is not enough Horsepower to weight. Leave throttle wheelies to the 100 HP and up crowd. I've found that clutch wheelies are easier to repeat. The control is always the same. The only difference is cold pavement or sticky summer pavement. Summertime is wheelie heaven! Enjoy...
Ride Safe,
JJ

Ps. Don't wheelie from a dead stop. Start off naturally. Try one at 5-10 MPH. Clutch it up and then its all throttle.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts

I've said it before and I'll go again. Get a dirt bike and practice on that. It's a lot easier to do and therefore get the feel. Plus it's cheaper to flip!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts

jersey james has it right. you gotta master the clutch. hell, i saw a rusted out tercel do a burnout and all the guy had to do was rev it up and dump the clutch... i wouldn't suggest doing that on your bike, you gotta have finesse

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Is it possible to do a wheelie with &n

NOT true....
"I gaurantee that the 620 will NOT wheelie on it's own, even with PCIII, open airbox and pipes.
But once you learn what it takes to get it there, it will probably be easy, but just a wide open throttle ain't gonna do it."

I have a 620 that with pipes only would pull the front up about a foot high with throttle (~5,000 RPM, let off for a split second and then WOT.) Now that I have put a 14T, open airbox, PCIII and pipes it will lift the front all the way up. I can reach the balance point that has the front about 4ft in the air. All this WITHOUT using the clutch. Clutching it is way too hard on the clutch and the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Re: Is it possible to do a wheelie with &n

krazzz said:
NOT true....
"I gaurantee that the 620 will NOT wheelie on it's own, even with PCIII, open airbox and pipes.
But once you learn what it takes to get it there, it will probably be easy, but just a wide open throttle ain't gonna do it."

I have a 620 that with pipes only would pull the front up about a foot high with throttle (~5,000 RPM, let off for a split second and then WOT.) Now that I have put a 14T, open airbox, PCIII and pipes it will lift the front all the way up. I can reach the balance point that has the front about 4ft in the air. All this WITHOUT using the clutch. Clutching it is way too hard on the clutch and the bike.
If the front tire was four feet in the air you probably flipped it ::)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: Is it possible to do a  wheelie  with &n

Welcome to the waaaaaaayyyyyyyy back machine!

p.s. the last post from this thread was over 3 years ago!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts

NAKID said:
Welcome to the waaaaaaayyyyyyyy back machine!

p.s. the last post from this thread was over 3 years ago!
Can I plead not guilty since my post was to the newbie that picked it up from the grave? ::)

·
Registered
665 Posts

I'm getting shades of TrueRider in this frenzy of Dead Post Resurrection.

Seriously... Easter was months ago, guys.

·
Registered
665 Posts

truerider said:
I'll give you shades buddy.

;D

[laugh]

That sounds dirty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts