Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to chrome my clutch pressure plate.
Is it possible to chrome aluminum??

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: Is it possible to chrome just half an alloy it

Yes, you can chrome aluminum, it's done on car wheels every day. The polishing part may not be so easy. Try talking to your local platers who do car wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

Hopefully, you're not talking about wheels... when wrenching full time (8 years ago) we'd get the occasional customer with chrome wheels. Every one of them had their wheels for a little while and every one had the chrome flaking where the bead of the tire seats, causing air leaks. We'd take the wheel to the bench mounted grinder's wire brush wheel and go after the bead's groove. It would work for a while. :-/

Also, it is good preventative maintenance to CLEAN the bead seating area of your rims with every or every other tire change. This prevents rubber build up, which can lead to air leaks and stubborn bead seating. I haven't heard of any shop that does this as routine.

My opinion is that chroming parts isn't a good solution for someone that commutes or rides a lot.

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

I think you'll have a hard time getting a decent finish on the stock POS pressure plate. Stuart at Spareshack sells a billit one that should have a smoother finish & be stronger. There are also paints that look like chrome that would be cheap for you to try.

·
Registered
796 Posts

Here is a good chrome guy I know, they do custom work, give them a call.
www.cycleimage.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts