Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it just me or do most superbike owners really suck? i don't get it. ALMOST every monster owner i have met has been nothing short of fantastic as far as personality goes. i have only met a small handful of riders on this forum in person (all have been outstanding) and the ones i haven't met have also been amazing to 'hang' with. superbike owners on the other hand typically suck pretty bad. i just don't understand. is there some sort of social distinction between the two groups? hell, i get along better with buell owners than i do with superbike owners. even though i have fundamental issues with buell motorcycles the average buell owner is a real hoot to talk to. they seem to 'get it' in the same way we do. (the euphemistic 'we') or is it that i just don't 'get it' the same way superbike owners get it? i find this hard to believe because if i could afford a 999 or even a 749 i would have on in the garage sitting next to the monster. yes, sitting next to my monster. i would never own a superbike without having a monster first. maybe that is the issue. i don't believe the superbike is better than the 2-valve, air cooled beauty in the garage. even though i know the monster is inferior in performance to the superbike i just can't get enough of it. i honestly feel i would get bored with the superbike and can't imagine that happening with the monster. sorry if i have bored you with my thoughts but i am just wondering if anyone else gets the same vibe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ABSOFUKINLUTELY BRO! I basically said the same thing a few weeks ago and was jumped on , raked over the hot coals, and given a paper cut with lemon juice on it . Oh yea I was also called a racist and a few other things that I will not repeat this close to christmas. To all normal riders! I wish ya a happy festivus! Question? How many superbike owners support poker/toy runs . Answer 0

·
Registered
917 Posts
::)

I wouldn't want to ride a superbike in a poker run, or toys for tots either. it's not exactly a comfortable cruiser.

anyway, keep in mind that there are @ssholes, posers, squids, snobs, etc in every group of riders. Ducatis in general tend to attract a "high end" type of customer who relishes the status that comes with a high price tag and exclusivity. Want to see full blown snobbery? go check out the MV Agusta message boards some time.

But Saying most superbike riders suck is like saying most monster owners can't ride for sh*t, and don't even know how to change their oil: you may run into a bunch of folks that make it seem true, but it's not! >:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bubba Zenetti...love that user id. Mad Max is my all time favorite movie. Anyway, enough threadjacking.

I have to say, I love my Ducati, but I've met more arrogant jerks riding Ducatis than I have in any other group of people. They are more cliquey than any group I've ever associated with. I know some are going to flame me for that observation...which proves my point. Come to think of it, most of these guys were on 749s or 999s. Only one bad experience with an elitist Monster owner, except occasionally on this forum.

When I had a Triumph Thruxton and was a member of that forum, I never got flamed, or told that my message was a repost, or had someone make fun of my user id, etc. etc. Here that happens frequently. The number of positive posts and the information I gather from most of the members make it worthwhile.

When I go to local Ducati events, I can't tell you how many times guys I've talked to brag about how rich they are. They are elitist wannabes. I just walk away from them and strike up a conversation with someone else, because like any group, there are gonna be good people and bad people. I've just run into more than my fair share of shallow jerks I guess.

In the end, it doesn't matter all that much because I tend to ride with a mixed group of motorcyclists, all of whom really appreciate my Ducati Monster. We have a lot of fun making fun of each others choice of bike, but deep down we all appreciate what the other manufacturers bring to the table.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I think you all need to find a better class of peeps to hang with. Every marque has its buttheads, blowhards and posuers. My own expericences with Porsche ownership bear that out, but i find it to be a very very small minority. Even within the Monster fold there are those who treat the 620 like a redheaded stepchild. Nevermind that the 620 maybe is best selling Ducati ever. Next time some SBK dood starts talking smack, remind him that if it werent for the Monsters, he'd probably be riding a CBRNINGIXR1.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I've found the opposite lately. Around here motorcycle riders tend to be pretty friendly with each other regardless of what kind bike they're on; ducs, Harleys, Jap bikes, whatever, which part of the appeal of riding motorcycles for me, sort of like finding your "own" people. During the riding season I can't even begin to count how many times others riders give a wave and vice-a-versa.
I recently went on a ride with one other Monster and 2 749's and when we weren't too bust having fun on the road, we were having a great time just hanging out.
If you ride a bike, then you're cool in my book.

·
Registered
114 Posts
goldenchild said:
I've found the opposite lately. Around here motorcycle riders tend to be pretty friendly with each other regardless of what kind bike they're on; ducs, Harleys, Jap bikes, whatever, which part of the appeal of riding motorcycles for me, sort of like finding your "own" people. During the riding season I can't even begin to count how many times others riders give a wave and vice-a-versa.
I recently went on a ride with one other Monster and 2 749's and when we weren't too bust having fun on the road, we were having a great time just hanging out.
If you ride a bike, then you're cool in my book.
Yep, Goldenchild, that's pretty much my attitude too. I'd ammend it slightly. If you ride, your cool in my book until you prove otherwise. I also agree with Blueshark in that the buttheads are a minority.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
All of the Superbike owners I've ever encountered have been great people. I'm not sure what experiences you've had, but I can't relate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd add that one of the coolest people I ever met was riding a 916. I was at a Triumph shop that is 60 miles out in the middle of Nowhere USA. He made the trip on the 916. Not having a Ducati at the time but knowing I wanted one, I struck up a conversation with the guy. To my surprise he asked me if I wanted to ride it. A total stranger offering to let me ride one of the most beautiful bikes I had ever seen. I declined because I didn't have a helmet with me but I couldn't believe the generosity.

G

·
b.h. said:
::)

Want to see full blown snobbery? go check out the MV Agusta message boards some time.

But Saying most superbike riders suck is like saying most monster owners can't ride for sh*t, and don't even know how to change their oil: you may run into a bunch of folks that make it seem true, but it's not! >:D
Easy on the MV boards...they're not as bad as you make it seem. I also know a few superbike owners and they are all good ppl. However, my friends and I have encountered the stereotypical poster boy on occasion. This d-bag pictured can barely ride over 40 mph, sports chicken strips that would make Frank Purdue proud and has the nerve to rag on other brands....Japanese in particular.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i really hope i haven't offended anybody with this thread. if i have, i apologize. it just seems to me that a lot of superbike owners tend to talk about their bikes like they are the 'end all' of sportbikes. hopefully, i have just met a few bad apples and the rest of the superbike community isn't like this. all i know is when i owned a suzuki i was never looked down on for owning a 600. now, i get ::) when i tell a fellow superbike owner i ride a 620 monster. like it isn't a 'real' ducati. and what is with the 'ducati only' stuff? when i post rides on my local board i get questions like, 'is this a ducati only ride?' :-[ i am the last person to ever exclude anyone from any ride. but, they get the idea from somewhere. right? and when people ask me what kind of bike do you ride i tell them, 'a monster.' i do this because typically when i say 'ducati' they seem to be offended by it. some people think it is cool but most think i am a jackass or something.

like i said i hope no one is offended. if you are i apologize.

·
Registered
917 Posts
[laugh]
that picture is fricking hilarious

you're right, the MV boards have their good and bad apples just like everyone else. I ran across some pretty disgusting attitudes though while doing some research for a possible purchase.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I also usually just tell people "Monster" wehn they ask what I ride. If they know bikes, then they know it's a Ducati and that it isn't a $20k bike. It seems like non-bike people hear Ducati and think "he must be loaded to drive a bike like that". But, I also tell people my bike isn't very fast, but it makes up for it with style. (A 12.5 second 1/4 mile is stock Ferrari fast, but it's slow for a bike)

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is right in line with your title. When I first got my Monster, I went to a party at a friend's house. Some folks there had already heard from someone that I had just bought a Ducati. When i showed up, the conversation went something like...
Guy 1: So, what kinda Ducati did you buy?
Me: Monster 750
Guy 1: (scoffingly) Oh. Not a "Real" Ducati
Guy 2: Yeah. I mean, those are fine for chicks....
(Note: Guy 1 has a non-running 916, Guy 2 doesn't even have a bike)

That's when I realized I had to start telling people initially that, like Autostrada Pilot, I ride a Monster, not a Ducati. Though I'll never understand why the two are mutually exclusive.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I guess most of the superbike riders I've met have been pretty cool. That includes the Ducati's, Japanese SBK's, an MV rider, etc. I'm not rich by any means but I love the bikes. I wish I had a 999 or 1098 to compliment my Monster. Hey, I'd be pretty happy with a GSXR 750 too. So far the age difference has been the bigger "separating factor." I'm old enough to be the father of a lot of the SBK riders I've met. Some of them have a bit of a hard time getting over the fact that an old guy is out there too. I guess they think I should be on a BMW or Harley cruiser. [laugh]

However, if you want to run into some real snobs try riding with bicycle road racer types on their high end machines. Again, some are nice but the ones that are out there are "way out there". Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
elTristo said:
That's when I realized I had to start telling people initially that, like Autostrada Pilot, I ride a Monster, not a Ducati. Though I'll never understand why the two are mutually exclusive.
Thats like people having to say "I drive a Boxter, not a porsche". It sure is a friggin porsche and my monster is a friggin ducati. Just because its lowest on the food chain doesnt make it any less of what the 1098 is (totally figuratively speaking here). Soul is soul and you can feel it throughout the whole line of bikes. If it werent for the monster, ducati would probably be out of business (just my opinion).

·
Registered
157 Posts
This reminds me of the joke about the difference between an <pick your favorite exotic car> and a porcupine (car has pricks on the inside). The amount of money spent on a fast toy seems directly proportional to how much some people buy in to the image of the thing they bought. I am pretty sure these people were a$$h0les before they bought said expensive toy - unfortunately, it does not seem to improve their personality when they do.
That said, I think these people just a subset of the small percentage of motoring peniswads out there. I'd say keep your mind open to having good experiences with all bikers, and I think your chances of that happening will improve.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You meet all kinds...

Just point to any SBK snobs they wouldn't have an SBK to buy or ride if it wasn't for the "lowly" Monster.

The Monster line is a major contributor to what keeps Ducati afloat and the line outsells ALL other models in Ducati's product line. Combined.

·
Registered
917 Posts
elTristo said:
This is right in line with your title. When I first got my Monster, I went to a party at a friend's house. Some folks there had already heard from someone that I had just bought a Ducati. When i showed up, the conversation went something like...
Guy 1: So, what kinda Ducati did you buy?
Me: Monster 750
Guy 1: (scoffingly) Oh. Not a "Real" Ducati
Guy 2: Yeah. I mean, those are fine for chicks....
(Note: Guy 1 has a non-running 916, Guy 2 doesn't even have a bike)

posers like that aren't even worth your time. hopefully you were able to have a laugh (at their expense) and walk away. personally, I would have wanted to knock the wine coolers out of their hands and ask them if they were interested in a "Real" @ss whooping ;D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts