Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the first question people ask me when they find out I ride (or when they see me pull up on my bike) is:

"What kind of bike is that?"

When I say "it's a Monster" I generally get puzzled looks. Every once in a while an enlightened soul will nod knowingly and say "those are cool."

When I say "it's a Ducati" the response I get is generally either "wow, that must have been expensive" or "isn't that a snob bike?"

Then there's always the dismissive "Oh. I have a Harley."

Anyhow, I've gotten a kick out of seeing the way people who obviously know nothing about bikes respond depending on what name I give my bike.

So.. when asked what sort of bike you ride, what do you all say?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Depending on what kind of induvidual is asking...I'll say either the Harley, or the Ducati. Since I'm younger, everyone thinks I own a crotch rocket, so I have to explain to them that a Monster is in between. That's after I explain what a Ducati is and where it came from. I usually say I have both and they look at me as if I'm going through a mid-life crisis.

Everyone knows what a Harley is, but not too many know what a Ducati is. Thats one reason why I bought it.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I can't remember anybody asking me what it was upon seeing the bike. If someone did, I would just point to the name on the tank.

I guess more people are clueless about bike brands in other parts of the country. Here in Northern California, most people have heard of Ducati. Most of the comments I've received have indicated how much the observer liked the bike. I just smile and say that it's a great bike to ride. 8)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In Chicago I always get nods when out ont he bike. Those who ask what I ride I'll typically say Ducati S4 or Monster. Surprisingly most people have heard of the Monster that ask.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
this is a funny post, cause I have the same dilemma.....

I feel dumb saying "Ducati Monster 750" so I just say "Ducati"

usually they dont know either way, just that Ducati sounds cool... and they are like: "Those are those race bikes huh!" I just say "yeah, kinda" =)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I usually say I have a Ducati Monster. Most people have heard of Ducati and know they make superbikes. I have gotten nothing but very favorable comments. You certainly wouldn't get the same response if you say "Honda". No offense.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I usually just say Ducati Monster. Unless I am eating/drinking/high and I dont have time for small talk. Thats when they get the response- DUCATI. If someone does take the time to inquire about the bike, I love sitting and chatting about it and motorcycling in general. Speaking of which, what on Earth am I doing sitting here talking to all of you when I could be out riding? It is in the mid 50's, 100% sunshine, but a bit windy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One time I pulled up into this gas station in middle of nowhere and a guy asked "Who makes a Ducati?"... And I thought for a second as to how to answer this and said "Ducati makes it..." to which he gave me a look as though I was being a smartass, which may or may not have been true, and then added "it is Italian." Which must have not impressed him much as he gave me a gruff "hum", and looked at the bike for a few more seconds and walked away...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I was riding one day and there was a guy driving next to me that kept checkin out my bike. When we got to a stop lite he asked what kind of bike it was. I answered him very politely "it's a Ducati Monster", he said "Very nice bike, it is french?". I said "FRENCH?...ITALIAN!" and sped away. I usually always tell people Ducati Monster. And like many others have said, I always get the "Whoa, musta been expensive?". To which I reply, "Somethings are just worth the money!"

·
Registered
240 Posts
I always get the "must be expensive" comment. And I also have people assume that since I am young, and it is not a harley, that it must be a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was at my Duc dealer and the guy next to me was about to purchase a Superbike. He turned to me and asked what I rode so I said "A Monster." He looks at me and says "What's that?" I couldn't believe my ears. This fellow REALLY didn't know what a Monster was.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a guy ask me what I ride, I told him a Ducati. He said "Oh". "I ride a harley". So I said, "Well, I didn't get a Ducati my first time around either..." I don't quite know what he thought of my reply... ::)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hehe when people ask I usually reply "monica bellucci on wheels".

They are both Italian, sexy and cost a little more but well worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I hear the "must be expensive" line all the time myself. A few months after I got my M800 some moron in a bar went around and told everyone that I had a $75,000 bike. It was pretty funny to say the least...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Me: I say I have a Monster.
Them: What is that? ???
Me: A Ducati
Them: Oh that is expensive.
Them: A 600?
Me: No a 750 ;D it is a naked bike ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts