Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Chrome plating engine mainly cosmetic & to prevent rust? Is there any drawback to doing this?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Re: Is Chrome plating engine mainly cosmetic & to prevent rust? Is there any dra

as far as i know, chroming the block would be very nearly entirely cosmetic, especially given that the block is aluminum.

chrome is a very durable, protective finish though. for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: Is Chrome plating engine mainly cosmetic & to prevent rust? Is there any dra

Chrome on the engine is going to be 99% cosmetic. Aluminum won't rust, in the iron sence, but can oxidize. Anodizing actaully takes advantage of aluminums oxidizing properties... but I digress.

Chroming would offer some protection, since it adds a couple layers of metal.. but nothing mind bending.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Alot of manufacturers have had trouble with keeping chrome stuck to aluminum, I'm sure you've seen wheels with the chrome flaking off.

I'd be worried that the heat cycles an engine goes through would have the chrome flaking off even quicker.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is Chrome plating engine mainly cosmetic & to prevent rust? Is there any drawbac

ok thanks guys

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
Re: Is Chrome plating engine mainly cosmetic & to prevent rust? Is there any drawbac

you have to clean the **** all the time...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts

If the idea is to have a chrome look to the engine, I would suggest ceramic coating with the "chromex" finish. It may have a more positive effect from the heat of the engine cases.

·
Registered
737 Posts

you should look into Nickel plating instead of chrome on alloy. it's pretty badass too [thumbsup]

·
Registered
845 Posts

[laugh]

Yeah, it does. I don't know a thing about it, either. I ran across it while researching plating/anodizing/polishing options. Chrome plating isn't exactly cheap if its done right, though. 8)

·
Premium Member
772 Posts

I don't know how long a plating would hold up to the stresses of heat expansion on the engine -- particularly the cylinders. On these air-cooled bikes, the temps vary a lot and I wonder if a chrome or nickel or anything would last very long?

Anyone here with any experience with engine coatings?

·
Registered
86 Posts

Chromate is generally used to prep aluminum for painting or plating. It isn't (normally) considered plating in the same sense as chrome or nickel.
It's corrosive (etches the material to give the paint a grip).
Dangerous to work with,and generally looks like crap. And, if left uncoated by paint or plating, will wear off. (the yellowish color)
Feel free to jump in here any time DP :).

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

Hooligan Machinist said:
Chromate is generally used to prep aluminum for painting or plating. It isn't (normally) considered plating in the same sense as chrome or nickel.
Dangerous to work with,and generally looks like crap. And, if left uncoated by paint or plating, will wear off. (the yellowish color)
What he said. ;D

Chromate is the specified prep for aluminum and Magnesium for corrosion protection in most MIL spec processes. It is not very durable as stated before. It will give amazing adhesion when you use an epoxy primer over it and under a urethane top coat.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

any highly polished finish is going to reduce radiative heat loss.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Hooligan Machinist said:
+2

chem-film chromate is worthless. at work we occasionally use a yellow marker (not a chem film pen, a real marker) to "touch up" a part that needs additional machine work after chem film. seems to hold up about the same.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Couldn't you just polish it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts