Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i completed my first valve adjustment today. i replaced the half rings, replaced two closing shims shaved the others, and shaved one opening shim.

ive got 1mm on my opening clearance and and close to nothing on my closing clearance.

so is it necassary to remove the belts? i turned the crank with the rear wheel on a stand and all seems well but i heard the belts must be removed.

can someone let me know for sure, thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone told me something about putting a drill in the cams with the belts off, then to spin the cams to make sure the new half rings would stay in place :-/.

well im riding tommorow. i hope i dont cause any major engine damage.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
First, 1mm clearance? You must mean .1 mm. Remove the belts to do the valve adjustment? You just completed it, why do you need to remove them unless you want to change them.
Not sure I understand your question. Normally, no, you dont need to remove the belts to do the valve adjustment. In fact, I keep the belts on to rotate the motor slightly to move the rockers during the adjustment process.

Mike G
www.emsduc.com
2V and 4V Adjustment Shim Kits

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i mean .1mm. i replaced my belts prior to adjusting the valves so i had no need to to remove them.

so all seems well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts