Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The helmet that I have my eye on is the Arai Corsair. Does the difference in protection really constitute the difference in price?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have the RX-7 on the way...feels good, better fit than my Shoei. I tried on around 30 helmets last week and the RX-7 is awesome. I have to say, though, the quantum 2 is just as good, just not as fancy, for a lot less. My wife is buying, so she went $$$

M

·
0 Posts
when you pay the extra money for an arai you're not really paying for more protection... what you're paying for is lighter helmet construction, plenty of vents, ease of shield installation, washable liners, and a bunch of other refined convenience features you won't get in say an hjc, etc. these features are more geared for comfort but ultimately make the riding experience more pleasurable. i think the extra money is well worth the extra comfort found in the premium helmets especially if you're going to riding around in all day. if it's snell, dot, etc. approved then it conforms to the same safety standards as any other helmet whether shoei, arai, hjc, kbc, etc.

i used to be a fan of arai until their recent policy change of no internet and/or phone sales. you now have to kick over an extra $100 or more to buy it from a dealer that is supposed to "professionally" fit a lid to you. i've never seen this happen unless i go to an arai rep at a race event. i've even seen some dealerships mark up the arai helmets above arai's stated msrp. point is that i could buy a solid color arai quantum for $320 and now because of their policies you will spend closer to $500 for the same helmet. i'm of the opinion that there are other helmets out there of equal quality that will get my business in the future unless arai changes it's flawed sales policies. so as a matter of principle my next helmet will most likely not be an arai unless they change their current policies.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So what does the RX-7 have that the Quantum doesn't?
The quantum 2 doesn't have the "race dispenser thingys"

The older quantums don't have removable/replaceable pads

The quantum/f and /2 have a NICE pearl black color...

L

·
0 Posts
I have the Rx-7 Corsair and I love it. The fit is great, the structure feels really sound and screams quality.

I have owned several Shoei's and a Nolan X-Lite and I always go back to the ARAI fit. The shape is better for "longer" faces (not as much wind noise or movement)

Liter

Z

·
0 Posts
I just upgraded from a KBC VR-1 to an Arai Quantum-f.
Let me tell you, they are light year's apart in fit and finish.
The arai is definitely lighter, but where you can reallly tell the difference is in the quality of the interior. Compared to the KBC, the Arai feels like I have my head enclosed around a pillow. Ventilation is also much better.
In my opinion, if you do a lot of riding spend the extra cash on a good helmet (Arai, shoei, etc) you won't be dissapointed.
Yes the Arai internet policies stink, but there is still ebay. I managed to pick up a brand new Quantum-f off of ebay for just over $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6749&item=2462911996&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT

Keep your eyes peeled and good luck.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
brockton cycles....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not that I agree with Arai's policies, but there is something to be said about fitting a helmet. I would not buy a helmet off ebay without first test fitting it at a dealer.

T

·
0 Posts
I didn't think the Arai was worth it. I went with the Shoei RF-1000 for 259.00. Fit was good. Features are good. Save the rest for the rearset fund.

Tom E.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I think the headshape choice is the best thing Arai has going. For many, the fit is better and the helmet can fit closer and thoeretically, safer. If Shoei or HJC or others happen to fit as well, I'd go with it. They all are making lighter, stronger helmets these days.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Besides the quality of materials and fabrication the thing to look for in safety gear is comfort. If it pinches, you ain't gonna wear it. The Arai Signet fits me best, so that's what I wear.

Most quality gear will last you a lifetime and is a one-time investment so dropping $400.- on a new helmet every three or four years won't be so bad (besides, you'll WANT a new helmet then anyway cos your old one will be all scratched and ugly and stained and whatnot). Set aside ten bucks every month for three years and voila, there you are. That's one drink and a tip less every month, you can do that ;D

-R.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I just got a Quantum 2... >

The quantum 2 doesn't have the "race dispenser thingys"

The older quantums don't have removable/replaceable pads

The quantum/f and /2 have a NICE pearl black color...
in tattoo red. ;)
Yeah, the black base color is really nice.

S

·
0 Posts
Don't like Arai's new policy, either. I bought a couple of helmets through MAW that were great deals, but now, with the usual dealer markup, you're going to pay more than $500 for one of their helmets. I love 'em, but that's costly when I can get the same thing for less. Now I wear the X-Lite.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm going to get rid of my Shoei Syncrotech in favor of a full face helmet that doesn't open up... having visions of the face shield popping up on impact. Going to look at Arai and Shoei... will have to see which one fits better.

M

·
0 Posts
unfortunately i seem to use my helmets before the five year thing comes up... but i'd imagine that helmet would get pretty skanky even if you could wash the liner.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You're just going to the wrong dealer ::) I just bought a solid color Quantum for (drum roll) $320. Dealer had me try on every Arai style (even though I've been wearing Quantums for > 10 years) to make sure that I got the right shell/size.

I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but some things are worth not compromising.

when you pay the extra money for an arai you're not really paying for more protection... what you're paying for is lighter helmet construction, plenty of vents, ease of shield installation, washable liners, and a bunch of other refined convenience features you won't get in say an hjc, etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like that one drink and a tip idea. I'll have to keep the money in a jar though, cause I'll spend it if its in the bank. :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts