Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 2016 1200 R with just over 14,000 miles on it tomorrow. The bike is all stock and the owner is motivated to sell so it seems a pretty good deal, under $10k, still to be negotiated.

I know that the 2017+ "S" has kind of taken a bit of the shine off the "R", similar power, improved electronics (DWC, cornering ABS, etc), and the "R" hasn't been updated since it was released. But I am not here to debate which is a better bike, I am only interested in this bike.

This bike seems like a really good deal compared to prices I have seen for "R" bikes ~$11-13k, albeit with lower miles. I know the major service is at 18k, anyone know what that will run?
What is the collectability factor, exclusivity, or resale potential for the "R"? It is no longer being produced for 2020.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am going to look at a 2016 1200 R with just over 14,000 miles on it tomorrow. The bike is all stock and the owner is motivated to sell so it seems a pretty good deal, under $10k, still to be negotiated.

I know that the 2017+ "S" has kind of taken a bit of the shine off the "R", similar power, improved electronics (DWC, cornering ABS, etc), and the "R" hasn't been updated since it was released. But I am not here to debate which is a better bike, I am only interested in this bike.

This bike seems like a really good deal compared to prices I have seen for "R" bikes ~$11-13k, albeit with lower miles. I know the major service is at 18k, anyone know what that will run?

What is the collectability factor, exclusivity, or resale potential for the "R"? It is no longer being produced for 2020.
That is so not high mileage...but anyway...your more likely to run into problems with a low mileage Ducati...that said...your real close to the suggested interval for belts and valves...I'd hit him with an even lower number just to play into his fears on why he hasn't ridden it enough...lol...cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree with all of that. Why does everyone always ask what service costs when all you have to do is ask the dealer you will be taking it to ? They don’t all charge the same you know. I can tell you it won’t be cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

I realize all dealers don't charge the same but a ballpark figure helps to know whether my local dealer (who I don't know well) is charging a decent amount or whether I should check somewhere else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't call that high mileage.
Mine is a '14 and I think I paid $400 - $500 for belt replacement, based on 5 years. Have not done valves yet I am a bit short of 14,000 miles. If you do both together plus oil change etc, I'd swag $1,000+.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't call that high mileage.
Mine is a '14 and I think I paid $400 - $500 for belt replacement, based on 5 years. Have not done valves yet I am a bit short of 14,000 miles. If you do both together plus oil change etc, I'd swag $1,000+.
That info helps, thanks! It is about what I would expect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts