Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need new pads and would like to know what you are useing for pads on your iron rotors . thanks

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I just talked with the BrakeTech folks (I think it was Jeff...) and he was OK with the Sintergrip ST pads for my iron rear rotor.

I got about 7k out of my Ferodo Platinum rear pads.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm with Chris, anything BUT sintered.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
BrakeTech actually recommends Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads on their iron rotors:

From braketech.com

"In final answer to Greg's question regarding our recommendation of the Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads on the AXIS rotors; we've dyno tested them extensively and have discovered no significant abrasion related problems with this combination. After over 200 dyno runs, they didn't distort either. But bottom line when it comes to thermal stress distortion; as noted above, there's no guarantee this won't happen under the right circumstances.

Hope this provides some insight."

http://www.braketech.com/tech/pads.html

http://www.braketech.com/tech/sintered.html

http://www.braketech.com/tech.html

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from what i can make out it looks like sintered pads are ok with ductile iron but not with gray iron . i have the B/T rear floater and am looking for pads . i will use the pads that are in there now to bed the rotor i guess that's what i will do then change to new pads

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Actually, Jeff tested ferodo sintered pads on his BrakeTech rotors which have cryo treatment. So, if you have a set of 4 or 5 year old "Superlight" rotors, you'd need to send them to Jeff to be cryo treated before using the Sintergrip pads.

Further, there are such things as "kit" sintered pads. These can be obtained from EBC (not to be confused with EBC HH) and are OEM on some bikes like certain year GSXR 750. Please do not ever use these on any iron rotors. Kit pads are so aggressive that they quickly wear even the more durable stainless rotors in as little as a few races.

Hence, it's always best to use organic pads on iron rotors. Ductile iron rotors have especially great feel and are coupled with awesome power. No need for sintered pads, imho.

:) Chris

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
oneducs,

I've got the same BrakeTech rear iron floater. I used the Ferodo Platinum pads with it.
Braking power was OK, not great. I've got 7300 miles on 'em and they're almost done in. Rotor wear was maybe .010", really negligible.

I talked with the BrakeTech folks and they said the Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads were OK to use with their iron rotor. They said the SinterGrip ST pads would give more power and longer life, with a little more rotor wear.

They're real friendly folks, give 'em a call to get the info straight from the source.......

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so what kidn of rotors do I have on a Monster S4 ???

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hey I have a rear aluminum rotor, any recommendations on pads for aluminum...
??? Who makes that aluminum rear rotor?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks, Tom.
"Not recommended for heavy rear brake use" indeed. That rules me out....

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Another vote for Ferodo Platinums here... They feel great for street applications when combined with Braketech Axis rotors... I can't vouch for them with other iron rotors.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've got a brand new Nichols aluminum rear brake disc hanging on my garage wall that I will never use (can't use a rear brake anymore). If anyone wants it, $125 to your door.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts