Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago we were asked for the SpeedyMoto Iron Cross clutch cover that was discontinued a few years ago. We recently found a company that has come out with a few clutch covers and were asked if would be interested in selling them.

Here is their first prototype, Corse Dynamics just delivered it for test fit. It is super stong, made from a 7.5"X2.0" billet piece of alum. This is a prototype and is currently in raw aluminum and will change in appearance drastically once anodized.

What do you guys think about the style of it, what colors do you guys want to see, etc. etc?

·
Registered
181 Posts
awe. some. want one!!!

any suggestions for pressure plates? i want red accents and i want it to look more o.g. monster tough than blingy or rice.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Not a fan. Looks more like Harley bling.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't have a 1100 so I don't have any room to speak... but it doesn't fit the Monsters. The iron cross is a chopper thing and doesn't appeal to me at all. I didn't think there was a big cross-audience between the cruiser/chopper crowd and the naked Italian bike crowd, but obviously someone wanted one. That said, the cover is really well-done for what it is. You'll have to make the business decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's a NO from the UK, we agree with the others it's a chopper style def not a Ducati style. It would be I'll advised to stock this design.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well i am a fan because it looks irreverent and old-school and my bike is all of those things as well. ;D

@moto -- do i have to buy a $15 VIP membership to get special pricing? i probably will want the EVR pressure plate as well as the caps and springs. will i need anything for just the basic blingy upgrade?

also, do you have any good front suspension solutions? my forks feel spongy and they moan when i let my clutch out in first gear... wish i could put a sweet set of those s4rs gold ohlins on my old monstie but not sure if possible :confused:

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I'll pass on that one........

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with the majority here. But not because it's too chopper-ey. Frankly the iron/maltese cross stuff was starting to get a little tired about ten years ago in the chopper world. My last bike before my Duc was a chopper I built in a buddy's garage, and I was in that world for 10+ years. The iron cross and ss logos WERE cool, but since you can buy that stuff now in any truck stop, Sears, or Target....it just stopped being edgy or cool quite a while ago. Putting the cross on a Ducati, just in my opinion, and I don't claim to be the end all be all of cool, would just be trying wayyy to hard. It wouldn't make any sense at all.

I am very open, however, to the opinion that I'm wrong.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well i appreciate your opinion, especially since you have run in that world. i don't know anyone who rides harleys that well -- most of my friends are on italian bikes, german/austrian dual sports, or triumphs -- so i never see any iron crosses anywhere.

i do have to say that, being a contrarian, i feel even more driven to get this the more people are against it. that's partly what i love about it -- literally everyone else says no, so i say yes ;) plus i lived in germany for almost a decade, and i am still a member of a prussian corps, so i think i may need it on my bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The original bikers clubs/gangs were WWII servicemen who returned home and found themselves missing the camaraderie and, for lack of a better word, excitement of their experiences in the service. Many purchased old service Harleys and rode together. As they began to band together and form riding clubs, many affixed items, or trophies, that they'd collected in battle to their motorcycles. This is how swastikas, iron crosses, and SS emblems made their way into biker culture. It was a means for these battle veterans to identify other battle veterans, and show unity. As a side note: this is where choppers, (originally bobbers) were born. There were no performance parts available. So, the only way to make a bike go faster was to make it lighter. "Chop" off all extra stuff. If it didn't make the bike go fast, or stop fast, it was removed.

As time wore on those symbols were used simply to shock or offend "non-bikers" But, again, now that all of those logos have become so commonplace, the shock value has been distilled down so far as to almost be comical. I have literally seen those iron cross logo stickers on minivans, and Mercedes Benz driven by housewives. I've seen small children with iron cross t-shirts.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=224148807&sellerid=33113339

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flaming-Iron-Cross-Chopper-Biker-T-Shirts-KIDS-S-M-L-/220713868785

http://www.redbubble.com/people/designzz/works/8634218-iron-cross?country_code=US&p=kids-clothes&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_medium=google_products&utm_source=google

I'd never tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. If you like the cover, buy one. If you have a specific affinity to the image due to time spent in a service, more power to you. I'm just trying to hint that it may not be as shocking or edgy as you'd like it to be. When I see something on my bike that I think is cool or edge on the t-shirt of a 7 year old....it bums me out.

I truly apologize if I sounded like a know-it-all dickhead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very interesting anthropology re bikers -- I had no idea and it's now knowledge I'll be busting out on others. Always good to learn new things!

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the somewhat twisted logic re the kids t-shirts and minivans. I mean kids wear shirts with flames on them, and I still think flames look badass on Harley tanks. Kids wear zepplin t-shirts, and i think the zoso logo would look sweet on an old monster too. And I've seen minivans with steal-your-face (as in the grateful dead logo) bumper stickers, and I'd pay anything to get a steal-your-face clutch cover. In fact... I now have a new quest!

As an aside I'll just say, if I saw a 7-year old with an Independent Trucks t-shirt on, I'd just think, "wow, cool kid!" if you haven't seen it, Independent has a really cool (my opinion) iron cross logo, totally retro skater now. but if I saw a kid wearing the t-shirt in the third link you included, I'd question the social skills of his parents. Again, that's just, like, my opinion, man. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts