Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with the Iridium visors on your Quantum or Corsair? (or any helmet for that matter) Legal or not? Cops looking to bust or not. Worth the price? For sure, Cool Looking.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't own one but virtually certain they're legal.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've used an Iridium visor or my Arai and was frankly very disappointed with the actual use. Problems:
1. The Iridium coating scratches very easily. So easily that almost any cleaning technique will leave a scratch (I say almost allbecause I couldn't find a safe technique and I tried four or five variations).
2. Bug splatter will damage the coating (See #1 above).
3. Once scratched, the visor becomes very difficult to see through unless the sun is always at your back.
4. The visor is very expensive (even for an Arai). I think I paid $60.

So, not worth the money to me. Definitely looked good (for about two days).

Any experience with the Iridium visors on your Quantum or Corsair? (or any helmet for that matter) Legal or not? Cops looking to bust or not. Worth the price? For sure, Cool Looking.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's about what I expected to hear; that they do scratch very easily. How about the mirror finish visors?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where did you get the dark smoke visor? I have the Quantum f.
thanks.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Signet GTR and wanted an iridium. Was told that they don't make it for the Signet, so I got the dark smoke. Is that true, or did they just tell me that because they didn't carry it and wanted to make a sale?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was never interested in the iridium but I'd be very, very surprised if Arai didn't sell an iridium visor for the Signet. My guess is you were lied to.

-R.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Oh, okay. I have one of those on my Arai Quantum F. I'm sorry, I'd just never heard them called anything but mirrored. I've had mine for about 8 months. I clean it every few days. I hear a lot of folks talk of how easy they are to scratch. Fortunately, I haven't gotten a scratch on it yet. It's holding up very well.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your talking about a Shoei Helmet, go with a mirror shield then enjoy how easy it is to change with a clear (great mounting mechanism). If your talking about Arai Quantum F them hold one sec. I love my new Arai but am not having fun with the changing of the shields. The side cover keeps coming off and the shields cost 80-90 because of the built in vents in the shield.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not exactly mirrored. The Iridium visor has a rainbow look.

Oh, okay. I have one of those on my Arai Quantum F. I'm sorry, I'd just never heard them called anything but mirrored. I've had mine for about 8 months.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been trying to find an Iridium visor for my Quantum. I have the dark visor, but want to get an iridium too. Does anyone know of any links to places that sell them online?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
check out ebay; I find them all the time. Just do a search for Arai iridium helmet.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just bought an Iridium Visor for my Quantum off e-bay. Expensive, but avoiding the hassle of shades under the Arai will, hopefully, be worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:)Personally I have had no problem changing my visors on my Arai. Part of the problem most people run into is breaking in their helmet. Those are plastic gears and parts you are dealing with so it usually takes a half dozen times to get it to work smoothly. The folks at BMW Detroit were very helpful in teaching me how to take the visors for the Arai on and off. They also carry most of the custom visors you are looking for, anything else they can order no hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
;)And those of you having problems with scratching you iridum visors or anyother for that matter, the best thing out there is warm soapy water. Honestly, as long as you don't let too many bugs or dirt bulid up nothing will work better. And once you have mastered the taking of those visors off it never hurts to let them soak in a bucket of warm soapy water, works great for those stubborn bumble bees you picked up at 120+ mph.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts