Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about going for a ride with my iPod. I love snowboarding with it, and I have aux inputs in my cars for it so, why not bring it on the bike right? This recent thread got me thinking about it some more:

Taking a trip on the monster

Anyone have any thoughts on it? I'd love to ride with it although I am a bit concerned about the safety issue as well as :police: being an issue... I'd really like to listen to something other than my thoughts!!! What do you guys think? Also, what kinda hardware do you guys use? (i.e what kind of iPod do you have?) I have one of the original 2G (2nd generation) 20 Gig models... Still alive and kicking strong! Can you tell i'm a bit of a mac geek? :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a new-ish video ipod. It is a 30 gig. I first rode with my ipod on a short 3 hour trip. It was cool, but not that excellent. Mainly what sucked was coming to a light or off ramp with my friends and I could not hear them.

Yet, my next ride with my ipod, was from NYC to Montreal. That was EXCELLENT. On the open road, it was such a relief. I made a long play list, right on my ipod with the "On the go" feature. It was the best thing ever. I have gone running with my ipod (have a shuffle as well) and that was cool, but nothing compares to riding with my ipod. If the ride is more than 3 hours, I am definitely taking my ipod.

The one thing I would advise is to get a remote that hooks up between the ipod and the headset. This way you can quickly access the controls if you need to stop the music. I have to try this, will this sunday on my weekly 400 mile ride.

There is nothing better than your favorite song when you are on twisties....

·
Registered
356 Posts
I got these for my Ipod Nano Sony MDR-EX71SLW

They come with three different cups that fit in your ear. These buds are a little unique. With these they sound really good if you find a track with allot of bass and leave it playing over night. Kind of like a burn in period. Night and day difference in bass response. And you cant beat the price. I also found a Red and Black Rubber slip on case. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 on the helmet phones. I've been using my GPS mono headphone with an adapter to stereo jack for my iPod. In CA you can only have one headphone legally, and I prefer being able to hear everything as well. I found the in ear headphones very painful and the padded speaker is infinitely preferable.

I also use the wired radio remote and clip it to my jacket.

On a side note: they make 'em in Ducati red now http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/red/

·
Banned
412 Posts
I use an iPod all the time when I ride.

Got some speakers that attach to the lining of the helmet. I like it cuz you can still hear some traffic noise around you.

Wore my iPod almost the whole time I was in Ouray, nothing better that rippin some twisties and the PERFECT song comes on... makes it all the sweeter.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I use my iPod when I ride. I only use one earbud though. I keep it in my jacket pocket face out so if I have to pause the music I can. I can also adjust the volume through the pocket if I have to.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe there is far too much going on while riding my bike to be listening to music, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
kopfjager said:
I believe there is far too much going on while riding my bike to be listening to music, IMHO.
Thank you!!! :) Me to. Not only that, but for the same reason I never carry a passenger, I like the solitude. Escape from every day life so to speak. Down here in S. Florida, there are 80 cars sitting at the traffic light with you and 30 of them all have thumpers so loud that their license plates vibrate. It's so freakin' noisy that I can't make out any single song. Then there's the guy asking me for money, and another asking me if I want to donate to the homeless and another asking me if I want a paper........it's unbelievably mad, you have no idea. So, the last freakin' thing I want is MORE NOISE on top of everything I've already got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a 20gig iPod that hooks right up to my Alpine stereo in my truck........but I would NEVER use it while riding. The quieter, the better.

Tom

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I ride 90% of the time with music. The music is more background for me, breaks up the wind noise and I can still hear everything around me, the music is low enough that I can still talk to people with my helmet on and hear them fine. The trick is to turn the ipod on and adjust the volume to a normal level with the bike turned off and no noise around you. If you crank up the music to go over the sound of your bike you are ruining your hearing and will not be able to hear everything else going on. There are times where I can barely make out the music if it is really loud or I am on the highway. I want to try some noise canceling headphones, but have not yet. Remember tha it is not legal in all states. I looked and looked for local laws here and never found any, so just accept the fact that if I get pulled over, I may get a ticket.

Oh yeah,

I use my 2 gig Nano and turn on shuffle all so the whole thing is one big play list(don't put the whole album on unless you like every single song). Took a while to do, but song selection is great now. I update it once a month or so to get some new songs in there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Definately try it. I ride all the time with my iPod. If it ever becomes distracting in any way - stop using it for sure. But mine is just kind of mood setting/background music. I would also recommend geting an in-line volume control so you can turn it off if you need to talk to a buddy at a light or something.

I wouldn't worry about the police having a problem with it. I got pulled over with my iPod on and the officer asked me what I was listening to!! :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love the solitude of riding as well, but the white noise was too much for +7 hours long rides. I tend to put in 400 miles on a given day, so it actually hurts my ears to not have the noise cancellation, which music does very well. Before the Ipod, I had a buzzing sound for a few hours after riding. Now with the Ipod, it is peaceful during and after.

I never ride with music in traffic or for short rides as the white noise is not bad.

Has anyone tried the new nano? I wonder if the clip is strong enough for +80 mph?

I also use the regular ear phones that came with the Ipod, cause I wanted to test it. The ear phones that completely plug into your ear actually damage your inner ear as it makes a complete seal channeling music directly. Which from some reports I read years ago, produces (through repeated exposure) early and significant damage to the inner ear. This is irreprable. I found a link that explains some of this. http://www.headwize.com/articles/hearing_art.htm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts