Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day I got it, I've had the feeling that the Dark was invisible to some drivers. More people change lanes into me and pull out in front of me than on any other bike I've ridden.

Sunday, a classic left turn incident occurred. The on-coming guy stopped in the left turn lane, then proceeded to turn just as I entered the intersection. Got on the front brake and stood the bike on its nose and lowsided to about a foot from his bumper. Can't really remember if I decided to lowside it, or if it just happened, but if I'd stayed upright it could have been more serious.

As it is, the bars are bent, the tank dinged, and bits and pieces ground down or broken. The adjuster says it's not totalled, so they can pay for a dayglow yellow tank. (I wonder if Vanson has lime green leather?)

Me? A couple of strawberries, without noticably damaging the jacket or even the jeans. Maybe a bruised or cracked rib. It was a very low-speed get-off.

Pink? Triumph does it, so it must be OK.

-Don

S

·
0 Posts
that sucks a whole lot....
while there was no bike/car collision, can you still file a claim against the driver?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My insurance company will go after his insurance company, but there weren't any witnesses that would admit to speaking English and there was no vehicle contact, so it's not likely, in my opinion, that the other insurance company will be compelled to pay anything.

BTW, it seems that a new 2003 tank runs something like $1750, while a CF tank runs $1200. Does that make any sense? With the known tank-dinging design flaw and a ridiculous replacement price like that, it wouldn't take a whole lot to convince me that tanks are a profit center for Ducati.

I'm not footing the bill, but you can bet I won't be underinsuring or probably even buying another Italian bike. I doubt I could afford replacement parts costs. Love the bike, but maintainabilty has always been a consideration for me when buying hardware and a $1750 tank is unconscionable.

-Don

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
damn that sux bro, heal up quick. i know what you mean by being invisible. i have a silver monster and sometimes i think its camoflage asphalt. sh!t many of these drivers can't even seen me when i'm riding the bright yellow FF supersport, how can you not see that?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a month for the Duc to be repaired. I guess they make the parts to order back in Italy. But I'm back on it. I have three bikes and no cars, so I'm still riding. An ugly bike, but riding nevertheless.

-Don

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. I know what you mean about invisibility. I used to think that would be a good thing ;) I saw a CF tank on Ebay a couple months ago for I think $799. I would've grabbed it if it was FI.
P.S. I was just wondering the other day where you had gone.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gone.

Just got busy. Had a trip to Israel, the UK and Sweden, with a bunch of catching up to do when I got back. Mostly rode the KLR, as it's still my basic transportation.

Out of sight - out of mind. I haven't been riding the Monster much. Won't be for a month or so either, it seems.

-Don

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident Don.
That sucks!

I found out that red firetrucks are prolly switching to yellow.
Apparently some people can't see them either.
Seems the yellow tests most visable on the road.
Maybe that's why no one has pulled a left in front of me.
Although I have seen them start to, and then somehow they always spot me. Maybe it's been the yellow.....

D

·
0 Posts
Hey Don sorry to that man.
Similar thing happened to me many yeras ago in my younger day's and I had the "goodfortune" ?, to put some damage to the offending car after the accident. Similar to yourself I managed to stop by laying the bike down, but the car could not get away as my front wheel was under his bumper.
Anyway to cut a long story short, after I threw my helmet through his windscreen he decided to give me his insurance details. Fortunately it all worked out and he did not press changes and the insurance company fixed my bike.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Most tank dents can be fixed and restored to nearly perfect condition. If it's just a little ding, maybe even a Dent Pro service can do it for under $100. For more serious cases, you can still fix and repaint the tank for a few hundreds. In extreme cases, you can buy a lightly dented tank and get it fixed instead. At the most this option is $750, depends how you go about it. Could be a lot less too. Contact Norm.

Also, Martin (Motowheels) has a CF tank for $800.

What color helmet was it? Did you flash your beams?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
White helmet, black jacket and no time to do anything but grab the brakes. Light was on, of course.

The guy was paying attention to his girlfriend, not the road.

I'll bet putting the helmet through the window felt real good.

-Don

H

·
0 Posts
It disturbs me deeply, that a motorist could be unable to see a motorcycle approaching, with a headlight blazing. I just don't get it. Maybe the thing to do, would be to require ALL drivers, to spend a year or two on a motorcycle before issuing a license to drive a car. At least then they would understand what it's like.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Don, glad to hear you are ok, and still riding, fix that Ducati, to your liking and ride on!! ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. The ones that are not your fault are the worst.

Glad to hear that you are ok.

Sometimes nothing you could have done will have helped. if he was checking out his girlfriend this is that case.

M

·
0 Posts
Speedy recovery (to both you and the Duc).

At least from what they said in the MSF course, most cagers don't "see" bikes (generally, not just M-Darks) like they see cars. And even if they are paying attention, people can't judge the incoming speed of a moto very well.

Insofar as helping establish the other driver's culpability, did you by chance be able to get a police report on the accident, or even photographs of the scene? Alternatively, if it's worth the bother, you might write a letter and threaten to take him to small claims, if the two of you can't reach a cash settlement agreement. Just my $.02...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Know the Feeling Don, mine's at the shop now as well, still havent decided about whether to take the insurance cash and customise it myself.....decisions decisions

1 - 20 of 27 Posts