Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened more than 5 times in a month. Any ideas will be appreciated.
When i turn the ignition key, i can’t hear the fuel pump priming and for sure it won’t start. If i wait for about 5 minutes and try again, sometimes it will prime the fuel pump and start. I tried both original keys and have same issue. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loose fuse or connection?
Fuses are easy to check.
Thanks, i already checked the fuses, all good. If there is/are blown fuses, it shouldn’t start at all. I heard some people found that it’s the fuel pump relay. Anyone knows where is that located? Where to buy spare/ replacement? Thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Lift up the tank....there's a ground wire there that has less than stellar grip strength...give it a squeeze with a set of pliers and see if it improves

·
Registered
627 Posts
You can' miss it...un bolt the back of the tank by the seat...lift it up a bit... it's the first thing that gets tight...if that doesn't do it...the relays are right at the back of the airbox on the left side...there's three...all the same...just swap one for another if the problem goes away and something else goes wonky you should have your answer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can' miss it...un bolt the back of the tank by the seat...lift it up a bit... it's the first thing that gets tight...if that doesn't do it...the relays are right at the back of the airbox on the left side...there's three...all the same...just swap one for another if the problem goes away and something else goes wonky you should have your answer
Thank you very much. I will try the wire under the tank first. If it doesn’t solve it, i will check the relays.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Are they all the same type of relay? I’m not sure about swapping them around. Maybe buy a spare one and replace the fuel pump and see if problem goes away.
Yep....all the same....in lieu of waiting for a spare...they're interchangeable...if you swap out the starter and fuel...it will be pretty clear...fuel pump whirs...but doesn't crank...it's something you can do pretty quickly they just pull out....you should be able to leave the tank installed...just propped up....the relay wires connectors are just pushed into the rubber holder from below

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep....all the same....in lieu of waiting for a spare...they're interchangeable...if you swap out the starter and fuel...it will be pretty clear...fuel pump whirs...but doesn't crank...it's something you can do pretty quickly they just pull out....you should be able to leave the tank installed...just propped up....the relay wires connectors are just pushed into the rubber holder from below
Big help! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
627 Posts
You have to lift the tank...remove the seat....unscrew the lone screw by the tank...pry back the metal clip...lift up...make sure your allen key is all the way at bottom of the screw 4mm if memory serves me else you will strip it...been there ... lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have to lift the tank...remove the seat....unscrew the lone screw by the tank...pry back the metal clip...lift up...make sure your allen key is all the way at bottom of the screw 4mm if memory serves me else you will strip it...been there ... lol
Do i need to empty the fuel tank first?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Your not completely removing it...your going to pivot it up...think of it like a hood...just full of fuel and 10x more expensive...lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts