Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As mentioned in the title, I have experienced cases where the gears fail to engage when riding.

For example, i'm riding on the freeway and want to shift up to x gear. Clutch in, kick the lever, clutch out. This is where i experience "loss of power" in the sense where the engine revs when i twist the throttle but nothing actually happens. I'm just sort of coasting, for the lack of a better term.

I then kick back down to reengage the gear and thank the lord that i wasn't tailgated at that point. Only happens when i shift up, not down. Doesn't have a pattern either. Just happens whenever it wants to happen.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I ride a M620. Really old bike that my friend practically gave to me. He says he has done the regular checks and services, and i'm inclined to believe him.

I'm not mechanically adept with bikes as this is my first "proper" bike. But i'm not a complete imbecile around tools either. So is there anything that i should be checking?

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Step 1, easiest to check -- technique. Are you shifting firmly, and moving the shift lever to the end of its travel? Do you need to adjust the lever down so that you get better leverage with your toe?

Step 2, if it's not how you're shifting, then you'll have to start checking in the transmission for bent, worn, or damaged parts.

PhilB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil. I hadn't really considered the human element in this. I've always shifted to the end of its travel- or so i'd like to think. I say that because shifting seems like second nature and hadn't really considered the actual travel. I'll really force this over the next few days and see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try pre loading the shifter ( light pressure on the shifter) and make sure you are using more than the end of your foot. I had the same issue when I first got mine and it took care of it. How many miles are on your bike? Mine started getting a lot smoother after 800 miles

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
False neutrals is what we call them. Google it. You'll see people complain about it on every motorcycle ever made. Generally a rider error.

I admit on just about every ride I'll have a missed shift at some point. Something like running up an entrance to a highway around 70mph, check mirror, look over shoulder, at the same time shift while trying to quickly merge only to hear my engine rev wildly. Pull in clutch quickly and really mash that gear lever up hard, let out clutch and power away.

If you feel that you are having to force the lever to find a gear, or it snaps up a gear but spits itself back out, then you have a mechanical failure that needs immediate attention.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@TRK

Never tried that technique before. Let me get my shifting squared away before trying something that i have not done before.

It's quite the old girl - over 50,000 kilometers. Been regularly serviced.

@caferacermike

I think you just nailed it. Thank you for mentioning that term. Like Phil mentioned, it does seem to be a rider error so far - haven't experienced when i have been really paying attention to all my shifts.

I have not experienced that. There is no extra force that is needed, and it does not pop out. So far nothing that points to a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Kinda suspected something like that. :smile

Your shifting will most likely improve if you try something more substantial. Best case is a pair of boots from any one of the specialty manufacturers such as AlpineStars, Sidi, TourMaster etc. They provide more positive shifts along with improved foot and ankle protection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@oldndumb

I know i should be moving to get the riding boots. Just haven't gotten round to it. Not that that should be an excuse for my lack of safe riding gear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used to miss shifts , usually 5th or 6th. I also wore tennis shoes. i bought some actual riding boots and i was surprised that my shifting got a lot better. i believe this is due to stiffer sole and toe not flexing as I shift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@Duc96cr

After having her for a month now, i can confirm that 95% of the false neutrals were due to bad shifting on my part. With "bad" (read: sneakers) shoes, i do have to concentrate on firmly shifting. Proper riding boots, or anything with stiff construction at the toe region will be better for shifting.

The other 5%....I don't think the clutch and gears have worn out been damaged...but well, nothing is perfect is it?

The fuel economy is terrible(10-12 KPL), but that's its own topic by itself and i shall start a thread for it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
While technique and proper boots will help, Duc's have never been known as the smoothest shifters. Make damn sure your clutch hydraulics are well bled. This made an incredible difference on my 620 and will be transferred over to the 1000 when I do the swap. Not too expensive and an easy install.

http://motowheels.com/i-11779860-factory-pro-hybrid-ceramic-shift-kit-ducati.html

I would certainly like to read more comments and reviews about this Factory Pro Shift Kit.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can track down Vaughn Pham and ask her how she shifts her 899 and motard wearing the adidas wing sneakers :)
I usually fly to sin to buy my riding gear as Vietnam is still way behind on that part.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would certainly like to read more comments and reviews about this Factory Pro Shift Kit.
No free lunch. Factory Pro Shift Kit reduces lever travel but increases force needed. I have used them on other bikes and liked them, but have never felt I needed one on a Duc. YMMV :smile

·
Registered
491 Posts
Totally right about the hydraulics. Even if they aren't leaking, bleed them until clean. Paint missing around slave usually means a leak. Also, shifter adjustment and condition of the heim joints. Moving the shifter down can help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If any of you are having difficulty with changing gears or false neutrals (either upshift or downshift ) It is most likely that the gearchange mechanism has been damaged or kicked out of adjustment.
An easy way to spot his is too look at the shift lever end (if it has grind marks or slightly bent ) then this is a sign that the mechanism is off center or the limit forks are spread apart too wide.
Another symptom to check is to have the transmission in neutral - with one finger lightly depress the shifter both up and down and feel for a slight spring effect when releasing the lever in either direction ( both up and down should be precise with no spring effect ). if one direction feels different from the other then there is a problem with the mechanism and would need to be either changed or repaired.
This is a common problem on all models except the Panigale. The transmission should be precise and easy to shift while wearing sneakers or boots.

If you fall with the bike on the left side and then the shifter lever is bent then it is guarantied that the mechanism is damaged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts