3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=67364.0

This is a thread about the whole

"Us" vs. "them"

Monster vs. SBK owner’s attitudes

It made me wonder about my own snobbery

Some of you know that I have an issue with low mileage bikes

Not so much an elitist thing, I just think a bike that is 2-3 years old with less than 1000 miles is a real tragedy

But you will notice from the comments in the thread that the issue with "Chicken Strips" comes up

I hate that phrase

Mainly because I have them

This brings around another question in relation to Elitists vs. Poseurs

I feel that the only thing keeping me off the pace with M and E is mainly a lack of HP

(note also if you will they are both faired bike owners...Hhmm)

Yet I have Chicken Strips

So, can you be considered a competent rider and still posses these badges of cowardess?

I would like to think so

but

Obviously I am biased

At the same time I have seen riders with less than a 1000 miles under there belt running street tread that looks as though they spent a day at the track

Serious gumballs and no wear in the centers

These guys seem to be able to handle there machines

and

Ride them at the edge of the envelope

and yet

They have little to no actual experience when it comes to saddle time on the street

Meaning, they would be more likely to get creamed by that left-turning-no-signaling-minivan

So I guess the ultimate question is

Are Chicken Strips and actual indicator of rider competence?

or

Is it just another way to create division amongst an already small community?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Do I have to remind you of the road up to Price Canyon Campground in Utah?

I think riding to the edge of tires on the street is a bit foolish, but I still do it sometimes.
Having a properly set up bike probably has more to do with the ability to abolish chicken strips than riding skill. Also, having some corners the allow such lean angles is nice, and there aren't that many here in western oregon.

I read the first 8 or so posts on that thread, and thought to myself "so ****in what, who cares."

I like riding my DR because there is no aura of speed or elitism that I have to respond to every time I get gas. I'm also spoiled by having luggage on it.

My back hurts this morning.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
toolfan said:
Do I have to remind you of the road up to Price Canyon Campground in Utah?

My back hurts this morning.
Ouch

price canyon, true dat

paved or not, wrong road for a monster

OH how I want my YZ400 back

Maybe I should stop all my grand schemes for toys and save up the duckit for a WR

I would like to street a 400 or a 426 or even a 450 but I don't think oregon will let you plate it unless it came factory street legal

although, it didn't stop me last time

I didn't have chicken strips on the YZ

or

tank dents

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
if you'z gots those chicken strips, you'z gots no skeelz.

I have chicken strips on my grey bike tires even after 2 track days. I switched from Michelin to Pirelli and the tires are shaped slightly differently or something, but I used to wear the michelins right down to the edge, the pirelli's have a deeper side to them, or something.

Personally, ride how you want to ride, not how someone else wants you to ride, else you be a crashed mofo.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
desmosome said:
[thumbsup]

What about thoes ape owners? ;)

Whatcha all doing this weekend?
I need to run up to the mountain and see my uncle for a little while Saturday, its his 60th b-day. :) Then, I may, and I stress may, stop by the ducati pacifica x-mass party if some of you go. I also need to work at 3AM Saturday night/Sunday morning so I wont be out late Saturday.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm a no go on the Ducati Pacifica x-mas party, I already have plans for that evening.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Badges of cowardness? Interesting comment.

I've had chicken-strips on all the miles I've been riding (started riding in '92 and have racked up about 45K miles or so in the saddle) up until a track-day in October of this year. I spooned on some Pilot-Powers (160/60 and 120/60) onto my Cafe-Racer and pulled all street-equipment for this day. Never been to a track-day before, never rode that hard, & NEVER had that much fun in the saddle. Chicken strips are gone!

But, now that I know what it takes to work off a set of C-strips...it's really not for the street. For me, there are way too many variables that come into play on the street. Traffic, debris, state-funded road repairs (not 100% attentive to details in the pavement), and of course...idiots in cages.

I don't think they're badges of cowardness at all. Having any bike with less the 5K miles on it (assuming you haven't just built or bought it) is a real badge of cowardness IMHO...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Duck-Stew said:
I don't think they're badges of cowardness at all. Having any bike with less the 5K miles on it (assuming you haven't just built or bought it) is a real badge of cowardness IMHO...
Spoken like Mother. [clap]

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Yeah, stuart and jacob are going to get along just fine.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I think so, maybe, yes?!?

I like to ride. Any time, any weather (ok, almost any weather), any place... is a good time and place to ride.

Just as a misc. factoid: My wife (Patricia and I) will be in Portland from December 26th to the 31st. PM me and I'll give out my cell phone # so y'all can contact me while we're in town.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Visolara said:
iMichelin to Pirelli and the tires are shaped slightly differently or something . . . the pirelli's have a deeper side to them, or something.
Yah, I switched from the stock Dunlops to Pirelli when the 205s were done and the tire shapes aer completely different. I can turn wtih 1/4 the lean on the Pirellis! Almost dumped the bike first turn leaving Motocorsa because I did my normal mode and leaned and the bike went WAY further into the turn then I wanted. I too now have chicken strips.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
toolfan said:
see, now there is all this stress of expectation

what if he doesn't like me and you guys slated it to be all roses and orange flavored cupcakes

what then huh?

I mean seriously

I totally forgot to send him my copy of the finder

and toolfan had to pick-up my slack

and what about the whole...

I don't know, the something

You guys stress me out

Im going to have to go back to work to

unwind

unwinde

is

wind

spelled like wind

or is it spelled winde

winde doesn't look right

anyway

I have to go un-something

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Calm down big fella, it'll all work out.

Stuart, I'll pm you my cell, and you can call whenever you guys get settled or ready or whatever.

Or, you can call one of these other dorks and they can rally the troops.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Duck-Stew said:
Chill Mother!

We cool Baby! ;D

Just a quick question though.... Where are Juggs and Speed? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]
Hahahahahahahaha

My two crooks in crime(roomates)

One got hurt and moved to new mexico to become a plumber

and the other one fell in love and got domesticated

That is a great movie, haven't seen it in forever

I'll have to tell them their new nicknames

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Yah, rally the troops!

My schedule's pretty free and I'm not covering anyone for the holidays so I just might be able to make it. Well, if I'm cool enough to hang wit y'all.

What about Labella? Haven't heard nuthin from her in a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts