Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure if this subject has been broached before, so my apologies in advance if it has. i find that lately when i discuss wanting to buy a bike, everyone naturally assumes i'm buying a Harley. then when i say no, they ask what i'm looking at. i say a Ducati. some say, what's that. others say, cool. then i mention i really want a Monster. with about half the folks i then have to explain what a Monster is. the ones who know what it is all say how cool it is.

here's the interesting phenomenon. no matter what the other rider owns, whether it's a Japanese crotch rocket (no bashing, i've owned one before) or a huge cruiser, everyone seems very excited about the Monster. it's generally positively accepted by every type of rider in the know. i always felt the animosity of some cruiser guys, especially Harley riders, towards "rice-burners". and i know lots of sportbike riders who would never consider riding a beast like a Heritage Classic. and yes, i covet other bikes like a Yamaha R1 or a Harley Fatboy. but i'm amazed at how much everyone seems to agree that the Monster is just plain cool. maybe it's the fact that it's a naked bike and is pretty much just all the essential components without the bangles of other bikes. all i know is the more i talk to other riders, the more i realize that buying a Monster is the right choice.

now i just need to make up my mind which one i really want. there are so many great choices. but thanks to the folks here who have provided so much information. it really is a great BB. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
At gas stations I have Harley guys walk over all the time to look at and compliment my bike. The overall reaction from them is awe when looking at the bike's frame. And, then when I start it back up, they love the sound. I had one guy say something like "Man, that things sounds like it just wants to RUN!" Haha

Guys on Japanese bikes, for some reason, I've not met a lot of. Probably because around here about 95% of the bikes are Harleybigdogcustomhugebacktire bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
The Harley guys always say "that sounds healthy"

The GSXXCBRRRKATANABUSA guys always say " sounds like something's broken"

·
Registered
42 Posts
I, no offense, have to disagree.

Been riding for 35 years, and when one says Ducati, everyone thinks bevel drive of the 70's and 916, 996, 998, 999 superbikes. No one thinks Monster. Monster are actually considered a sin by Ducatisti purists. The Monster will even be called a "girly" bike.

The racers, superbike riders and so on do NOT like the Monster in general, and think it looks like a "commuter" daily ride. They will also always mention the lack of reliability of the brand. More on that if you guys want to discuss it with my $16,000 07 S4RS, by the way, which is having a love affair with the dealer's service department.

Harley "doods", just do not appreciate much of anything on two wheels that does not come from the Motor Company. Agin they also usually look at Ducati for its Superbike model excellence and exotic character, but certainly not at the Monster. The Monster is a Ducati anachronism.

If I could afford it, I would buy a Ducati superbike, not a Monster. The superbike is simply a real ducati because it is closely tied to racing.

So I have an 05 RC 51....which is as reliable as they come, racy, a working man's Ducati, and this one loves to be ridden and loves to sleep in my garage. It does not like the dealer at all like my S4RS.

That's my opinion and I'll stick by it.

In Europe, where I am from, Ducati is only respected for its Superbike models. The Monster is considered a "toy", not a real bike.

Phil

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phil, you're entitled to your opinion. i am only recounting what my experience has been, especially lately when discussing my bike purchase choice. it was the reaction of both superbike riders and Harley guys that struck me so much. otherwise i wouldn't have made that observation and posted a thread on it. sounds like you have quite a chip on your shoulder about Monsters specifically and Ducatis in general.

i'm originally from Europe too and Monsters are not considered toys, not from any conversations i've had. but everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's what makes the USA so great. :) and i'm just desrcribing my experiences, so i'm not telling you you're wrong. i'll just make sure if you ever decide to sell your bike, i run the other way. ;) just kidding.

thanks for all the other comments. love the feedback.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Duckmaniac said:
More on that if you guys want to discuss it with my $16,000 07 S4RS, by the way, which is having a love affair with the dealer's service department.
Sometimes that is the price you pay to own a first year bike. The bugs are generally not all worked out. Even though the motor has been in development for a long time along with almost all of the other parts, they haven't been used together until now.

I think the service/reliability issue is really magnified by a few with bad experiences. I know lots of people with Ducati's, including myself, who have never had any issues and only preformed regular maintenance. I've owned 7 so far and ride them year round on the street and track when it is warm enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My S4RS is fixed, now and runs like a scalded cat with its 14 tooth front sprocket. Took many attempts but DNA fixed it perfectly. It is now the ultimate motorcycle.

Yes it is for sale with 1300 miles, it is a pretty pearl and red color.

I need to stick to Japanese crotch rockets. >:D

Cheerios

Phil
(the one with a chip on his shoulder [laugh])

·
Registered
211 Posts
Duckmaniac said:
If I could afford it, I would buy a Ducati superbike, not a Monster. The superbike is simply a real ducati because it is closely tied to racing.

Phil
This is a silly point of view when you consider the 80 year history of Ducati. Scrambler, Pantah, GT 750 are not racebikes. Some people just can't remember anything before the 916...and even if you remember the 851 (a SUPERBIKE that the Monster gets it's frame from), racing is just a PART of the company's history.

I too get the approval from all kinds of riders. It's sport bike for the sport bike guys, but the round headlight and lack of fairings is enough for the cruiser crowd.

Now you'll have to excuse me. I need to go sell my Honda Dream since it's not a superbike and Honda makes superbikes now, thus they are all about racing! How could I have so many bikes that aren't even real!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Maybe less so for Europe, but monsters are rare enough and exotic enough to provoke unusual reactions. The strangest I had came from my father. Admittedly he knows nothing about bikes but he said, 'You don't have to tell me, but did you pay $50,000 for that?'

Slight thread-jack here, but I would never buy a Duc Superbike. They have never appealed to me. Besides I wouldn't pay that much for a bike on principle. The same reason I would never want to drive a BMW or Merc. If I wanted a sportsbike I'd go for Aprilia's latest RS125. Quick, well made and cheap.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duckmaniac said:
My S4RS is fixed, now and runs like a scalded cat with its 14 tooth front sprocket. Took many attempts but DNA fixed it perfectly. It is now the ultimate motorcycle.
for a toy. ;) sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In conversation, as soon as i say "Ducati" the typical response is "Wow, those are expensive." I can only assume they are thinking of the superbikes. My response is "Not really, it's a Monster"....and then i get the blank stare because they have no idea what i'm talking about.

In person, everyone loves the Monster. I always get compliments on the bike. Lots of people like to stand around and just look at it. I get a lot of responses like "The frame is beautiful. This thing looks like fun. This is the kind of bike i would buy." Everyone loves how it sounds as well. It's a much different reaction than i used to get with my CBR600....some people loved it, some people hated it, and quite a few friends who also ride were just completely intimidated by it. I find a lot of car drivers hate the japanese race reps as well....i used to get lots of dirty looks.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
d8ve, i know exactly what you mean. i had a Yamaha FZ600 long ago and would always get more dirty looks than anything else. i used to also hate the Harley guys who wouldn't wave back when meeting on the road, as if my bike wasn't worthy. that's why the response to me mentioning a Ducati Monster to other riders suprised me so much. i expected the same reaction from the Harley guys as before, but didn't get that. i had a Cagiva 650 SS before too, and i mostly just got blank stares. and although i'd love a Ducati Superbike and love the 916, for the same money i still prefer a Monster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's why they made the Monster "City". That blue one, you remember ?. :-\

Have you guys ever been to Bologna ?......Racing there is a religion, just like Ferrari. No real consideration given to Monsters. My father supplied wooden trims for Mr Ferrari's office and factory in the 60's. Mr Enzo only wanted to hear about racing.

As far as not paying so much for a superbike. Take a Duck SBK to a trackday and you will understand why they cost $22,000. Way above the rest. The monster does not come close at the track.

Take a Japanese SBK, add $10,000 of top shelf componentry, and you've got yourself a track weapon in the league of the the Duck or better.

By the way, why are U guys getting so bent out of shape about your Monsters (including mine) being a toy ? It is a toy. Not good enough for racing, and not practical for street use (no storage compartment, no luggage etc....) In Europe people use them to go to work and back. That is why they all ride Monsters 620's (economical). No S4RS's to be reckoned in Europe so much.

The S4RS I have is considered an overpriced piece of undefined 2 wheeled equipment. Just like a toy.

Anyhow, you guys are really defensive about your Monsters and I am not. My point is that among hard core amateur racers, the Monster gets the thumbs down. Among a lot of HD riders, same. And if a lot of riders think 916 when they hear Ducati, it is not out of knowledge but out of ignorance.

Well that was fun. A good provocative lunch break for me.

Phil

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phil, you just seem to spout as gospel your observations from your corner. it reminds me of the joke of the problem of describing an elefant, it depends on which end or side you're standing on. as much as what you're saying is a perfectably acceptable opinion, it is just that, an opinion. my experiences differ from yours, enough said. i think you're making sweeping generalizations and now you're saying we're being defensive. i didn't take any comments as defensive, just others' opinions and experiences.

hopefully you'll find a buyer for your "toy" so you can buy a real bike. good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Duckmaniac said:

Yes it is for sale with 1300 miles, it is a pretty pearl and red color.

I need to stick to Japanese crotch rockets. >:D

Cheerios

Phil
(the one with a chip on his shoulder [laugh])

I have a Jap Rice burner also, but it's just a track bike. It's not really useful for anything else.

I don't understand the crotch rocket envy some monster owners have. I'll match any superbike in the twisties of Nor Cal on my S2R

·
Banned
402 Posts
Back to the original topic (and ignoring Duckmaniac's trolling): I get my bikes inspected at a small independent Harley shop. They bust my chops about the Interceptor but they dig the Monster.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ducatissimo said:
Phil, you just seem to spout as gospel your observations from your corner. it reminds me of the joke of the problem of describing an elefant, it depends on which end or side you're standing on. as much as what you're saying is a perfectably acceptable opinion, it is just that, an opinion. my experiences differ from yours, enough said. i think you're making sweeping generalizations and now you're saying we're being defensive. i didn't take any comments as defensive, just others' opinions and experiences.

hopefully you'll find a buyer for your "toy" so you can buy a real bike. good luck.
+1

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.