Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The exhaust valve cycles (open-close-open) when turned on. it's checking to make sure the servo motor is working properly but the valve is only really used between 4000 - 7000 rpm roughly...it closes to make the bike pass noise restriction requirements.

Removing the cable by itself shouldn't give you the CEL, its when you disconnect the servo motor wire harness. Your bike doesn't know if the cable is connected or not, it's just testing the motor at start up
Ahhhhhhh, that makes sense :)
Legend :)

As an FYI I tested my bike with the cable disconnected and I can feel the difference at 4000RPM, the bike is smooth in second gear. However with it connected you can feel a push-pull sensation. None of this however corrected the sound I'm hearing (High pitched metal sound - piercing). Oh well. Learned something new either way. Just have to keep listening to music while im riding to hide the noise till the dealer sorts it out.

Thanks again mate, your a legend :)

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Still no CEL.
I'm going to leave it unhooked for now.
will let you know if I run into any problems.
Oh btw I just un-hooked it from the mid pipe not the servo.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I disconnected the cable at the flapper and rode for about 4 hours today. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference, just very slightly. Either way, I'm glad it's open all the time now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I removed the cable from the valve and when I turn the key on I hear the servo turn, albeit slower and longer it seems.
I did get a CEL pretty much straight away and it didn't go away until I reconnected the cable.
It did sound a little louder due to the valve being open and the bottom end did smoothen out slightly but not really that noticable.
My bike is a M795 btw with the 696 chassis and 796 engine.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did not get a CEL either. Here is a picture of what I disconnected . . . You just have to take that cover plate off by removing the one allen screw. Then just rotate the flapper by hand to release the tension on the cable, and it will come right off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ended up disconnecting the cable at the valve as described by scottydoesnt. Didnt even take 5 minutes. Ive commuted all week on the bike and have gone on a couple of longer rides (today was about 130 miles) and have had no issues/CEL. Bike seems to be quite a bit smoother around the 4-5k range, the exhaust note is more consistent, and I dont get that weird hesitation from the valve closing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the pic! I'll be doing this today. It's new to me (1 week) and it's very twitchy from 2-4k. Hoping this will help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It worked! Man! save even the cost of the Duc EE, simply disconnecting that cable made great improvements. Ok, so they may be minor, but they're huge to me bc I've only had it a week. And no Check Engine Light

Results:

Before: Throttle response was very twitchy. On my half hour ride to work, I felt like I had to get to the sweet spot in 3rd which was 4k rpm and around 45mph. First and second were gears to get through, not gears to ride in. Very twitchy up to the 4k mark.

After: First, I couldn't hear my music as well, so it must be louder :) Secondly, 1st was easier to more smoothly (still not perfect, but improved) roll off of at a stop and get to second gear. Second gear is smoothed out fairly tremendously really. I was able to cruise and roll on throttle fairly smoothly from about 2500 rpm through 4k. I specifically noted that this made 2nd gear usable in the 25 and 35 zones.

Great mod and didn't even require buying the Duc EE. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers everyone!

I'm also having this issue for some weeks now (Monster 796 '11).

How do you disconnect that cable? Does it need a special tool?

Do you have the final setup with the cable disconnected? Should it be left there hanging disconnected?

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am so glad I didn't spend $90 to have that kinked cable replaced. Mine is coming off too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
First commute to work and... only the yellow light from the gas tank appeared :D

The bike is much smoother now on lower gears and rpm's. Great for town use.

Engine breaking is less than it used to be, but for me it's ok - not an issue here.

I'll keep the monitoring going :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if anyone still looks at this (lol) but for me it worked :)

On the Ducati dealer they charged 40€ and the problem persisted (go figure :) )

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i recently swapped my exhaust for boomtubes and disconnected the cable but left the servo motor plugged into the harness. i've ridden my bike several times with no issues nor the check engine light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having an issue with my CEL calling up the EXVL. I've gone in and lubed the cables, checked the harness, made sure the servo motor actually works. Every time, the CEL comes on (sometimes) after I've been riding for a while. It's fine at start up. I get the impression that it's a sensitive system. I'm guessing that I just need to make sure the cable is at the right tension? Just for the sake of problem-solving, anybody have any tips or links to sources regarding how to properly adjust and align the servo motor and cable?

2011 Ducati M796
Termi slip-ons

21 - 39 of 39 Posts