Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably shouldn't blab about this, but I need holes shot in my idea.

On bicycles, racers use a very light weight, ultra vented helmet design. I understand Motorcycles are different and the imapct is greater, the speed is greater etc.

But, why doesn't anyone yet have a motorcycle helmet that has "real" ventilation. When i say "real" i am not talking about big vents in front and in back to let air "circulate". I mean big frigging holes to let heat from your head dissipate. Like a bicycle racing helmet.

I understand that there are specifications to certify a helmet for DOT and SNELL. does anyone know the requirements? I want to make a "summer" helmet. I'll call it "hot head helmets" that is like you are hardly wearing anything...but has full-face helmet protection for the face and mouth. Big, reinforced holes on top an sides of the helmet so you don't bake in the summer time. Maybe some carbon fiber and graphite instdead of plain old foam to make it strong and flexible.

I am not an engineer...but someone tell me why this wouldn't be possible?

Thanks...don't steal my idea.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Something like this, you gotta start by looking at the standards. I believe the "penetration test" would pretty much put the kibash on your holey helmet concept.

Bicycle helmet standards evolved differently. I think impact on a large flat surface is the only test.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Motorcycles generally go a bit faster than bicycles so the vents should be able to run enough air through to cool you down when you're moving. I know my RF-1000 has very good ventilation. I have to shut vents when the air is cold.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Well, I'm an engineer and a plastics one to boot, so here it goes.

Good luck making a motorcyle helmet with through holes. First off you'll have too many stresses created by cutting into the helmet (linear, hoop, etc.), and with the extra speed of a bike, they probably won't be able to handle the impact (if impacted of course). I'm not going to get technical with the molecular area of polymers, but if you change the structure of them after the molded in stresses (good ones in helmets) are set or cured, you'll allow the shell to relax and lose its rigidity. I'll keep you awake and stop there...

You would probably have to make an internal frame to support the outer shell to be extra safe. Or overmold the shell onto a frame, that would be the best.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TJR 178. Exactly. I am thinking out of the box on this one. An internal frame of carbon fiber (or possibly a polymer or graphite)...then build around that. I am not talking about taking a traditional helmet and cutting holes in it.

scott- this would be a strictly "hot climate/summer" helmet

don- the penetration is an issue. the Structural holes would have to have a protection..you are right. I was thinking of carbon fiber woven similar to a wicker chair. It would have huge vent holes...but each of the vent holes would have a structural mesh covering of prevent a puncture or penetration of large particles.

granted...i don't even know if these materials woould do what i am asking them to do...input there? i also think...if it were possible, wouldn't shoei have done it by now?

keep it coming, thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
is that why harley helmets are so small .... because
they don't go any faster than a bicycle?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****, Kevlar...friggin kevlar. i was racing a Yacht this weekend (a J109) for those of you that know sailboats; and the thing had the most amazing sails on it. They were about $10,000 bucks each and made of a mesh Kevlar. strong, flexible, light weight. Why not cover the vent holes with a kevlar mesh with "breather holes" in it.These things are super strong, can take a load like you wouldn't believe, and already exist. surely that is better than the boring foam core of my Shoei?

H

·
0 Posts
is that why harley helmets are so small .... because
they don't go any faster than a bicycle?
I thought it was the small cranium not needing a larger helmet shell...

::)

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
What about debris flying into the helmet if you take a tumble..........Rocks,Sticks,small animals :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
debris and small animals would be protected by a breathable mesh.

Man, this would be one expensive helmet...may i should just stick to being a recruiter. :p

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
hmm.. interesting.. I'm not sure about the DOT/SNEL penetration test..

but why not have 2 layers of carbon/kevlar with holes/vents that are offset? this way a penetration test (assuming it meets the surface of the helmet in a perpendicular fashion) would still impact on CF material.. but air would be able to move through the holes freely ?

so a side cut-away might look like this:

layer1: _ __ __ ___ ___ _
layer2: __ __ __ __ __
foam: xx xx xx xx xx

where layers 1 and 2 are CF or Carbon/Aramid (Kevlar) and the holes don't exactly line up, so objects can't direclty penetrate without having to conform to the path of the air...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
exactly...now were thinking. i really think it coulbd be done. maybe not very cheaply. But, you guys in the south (i am in texas) know what 110 degree can do to a man with a helmet, stopped at a light, with no circulation, no wind, etc.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Like someone said above: it would be loud as hell. I wear a full-face in Phoenix and don't have that many issues with heat.
dion

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doesn't rain in texas...ever. hasn't rained in 15 years ;D

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Kevlar sails undergo different forces than a motorcycle impact would. Sails=distributed loads. Motorcycle=acute, point loads.
I used to race slalom windsurfing. All our sails were reinforced with kevlar. The kevlar is there as a rip-stop measure (that's why you see it as a cross-hatch pattern, not as the primary sail cloth material). Kevlar has absolutely no puncture protection. Take a toothpick to a racing kevlar sail and it'll penetrate it, no problem. It simply finds it's way through the kevlar threads.
I believe bullet proof vests are similar in this capacity. Excellent in distributed loads but fail rather fast in point-loads. It's why they can take a bullet but not a sharp knife.
Tarik

·
Registered
248 Posts
exactly...now were thinking. i really think it coulbd be done. maybe not very cheaply. But, you guys in the south (i am in texas) know what 110 degree can do to a man with a helmet, stopped at a light, with no circulation, no wind, etc.

That still doesnt answer the question of TJR's. what ru going to do with structural integrity. if that is the case maybe u should look in to something else other than the conventional shell material. Also remember rain ;). u r not always riding in the sun :).

C

·
0 Posts
can't you get fans for helmets? That would at least create airflow... and you could probably design a helmet that had a two small batteries and a small computer fan, if you did it right, the fans could turn off at speed, and only run when there was no air moving over them... I think that with an aggressive venting system that allowed air to move over the top and around the sides of your head. It would probably be much easier to get through snell...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts