Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
That would be neat.
I used to own a Guzzi Dayton DrJohn (number 17).
The electrics were typical crap Italian for the time, but boy did it handle. I rode it round the Isle of Man a few years back and scared the **** out of my buddy on his GSXR, not to mention the crowds it would gather when parked on the promenade in Douglas. He got so pissed off that everybody was passing by his newly painted and chromed bike to look at the Guzzi that he started parking 20 yds away from me.....

·
Registered
326 Posts
On the Guzzi boards the rumor is KTM is in talks with Aprilia to buy Moto Guzzi. It make sense, adding Moto Guzzi to the line-up would allow KTM to compete with BMW in every market... cruiser, sports, sport touring, and adventure. If there is one thing German manufacturers like to do is one up each other in the race for supremacy.

Personally I would like to see Guzzi stay 100% Italian but, if Aprilia isn't interested in investing anymore into Guzzi then please sell Guzzi to someone who will.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe KTM's Austrian, all the more reason to beat up on those "precision" engineers north of the border...

G

·
Personally I would like to see Guzzi stay 100% Italian but, if Aprilia isn't interested in investing anymore into Guzzi then please sell Guzzi to someone who will.

Errrr... isn't Ducati owned by Texans? Or did the sell it?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Errrr... isn't Ducati owned by Texans? Or did the sell it?
I believe you are correct.

mitt

·
Banned
551 Posts
Texas Pacific Group own less than a 50% share in Ducati (I think it is closer to 30%). I believe the main impetus of their investment was to "turn" Ducati around sell their share to make a profit. They aren't in it to own Ducati per se. Which makes it different than a motorcycle company buying a motorcycle company.

I guess their biggest impact was to try to make Ducati the "lifestyle brand" it is now to increase margins, al la HD. Before anyone flames me, I am not insinuating that Ducati has done that or is anything close to the HD image. But you do have to admit that they have really done some lifestyle marketing by making clothing and putting the bikes in videos / movies.

As far as Ducati buying Guzzi - could be a damn good thing. Wonder how much longer TPG will have to stick around to get the profit they are looking for.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Even if TPG owns less than 50%, or 30%, I imagine they are still the majority owner. I think there are other groups / people / industries that own the other shares, but I don't know if anyone owns that large a chunk.

It would be interesting to know more about the Ducati holding company, but there isn't much out on the internet about it.

mitt

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I think it would be great if Ducati ...>

took over Guzzi. It would enable them to expand their influence into the American cruiser market without "sullying" their name. Think along the lines of BMW and Porsche adding SUVs to their lineups. They were tired of leaving money on the table for the room in the garage. My dealer already carries both brands and the Calif. line are some nice cruiser bikes if you're into that sort of thing. They seem a natural fit, don't forget, MG dominated endurance racing for decades, much like the way Ducati dominates World SBK.

G

·
Well if TPG are selling their stake in Ducati, why don't we pass the hat around the DML and see if we can raise the funds. What would you do if you owned a share of a controlling share of Ducati? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts