Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The adjuster (Progressive) mailed me a check yesterday for the damage to the M620.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i say go with your heart...which to me, it sounds like an upgrade.

best of luck on the decision!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
KTM would be my pick. I'm not a fan of the Multi. I find it is over-priced and heavy. Just what you want a crossdresser not to be.

Like my 620 but I think it will disapear at years end. I'm inclined to go with a superbike of sorts but after jumping the 620 off a curb this week (had to get around a bus backing up into an intersection) and the two other times this week the suspension bottomed out, I'm thinking supermoto - i.e. one of the KTM beasts. The wife does like the 749 so it will be a hard choice.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Don,

No mention of the M1000. That suggests the "less than stellar" performance of the M620 has been related to factors other than power.

Care to elaborate? What kind of riding do you do that favors an MS or KTM? I understood that you do long tours, but crap roads, gravel or unmainatined, wasn't part of the picture I'd formed. Would something more sport-touring oriented make sense?

I've personally comfortably ridden gravel and [email protected] roads on my M900 with reasonable comfort. I'm not going to do the Al-Can Hiway on it, but for the occasional shortcut it's been fine.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don,

No, it's not about performance. Power and handling are fine.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Have you considered an ST3?

it may be even better suited to your description than the MS. It's seat is more comfortable.
Back to your original question now...
Insurance is meant to restore your vehicle to it's original pre-accident condition, not upgrade it. Let your ethics rule. ;)
That said, since selling it is a possibility, it's often said on here that mods don't necessarily add to the re-sale value of the bike, yet a dented tank will most definetly detract from the value. You need to decide if you're keeping the bike or not. ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao D.

I think the tank dent got to You.

Time to move on, too many negatives aspects from You.

Hopefully You can try Multistrada, but then again, the Luigi has been there....

Good luck with the deal and life is great !

Skier

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm biased because I have one - but the older BMW F 650 "Classic" carbed model is great. It's almost as fast as the M900 up to about 90 and tops out at a little over 100. Great for long trips at 70 all day long. Feels sure footed in the loose sugar sand here in FL. And surprisingly I've found that it will corner almost as fast as I've been throwing the Monster around some curves locally without any scary moments. IMHO it looks better than the KLR and has a lower seat height.

Easy to maintain. Check out the FAQs at f650.com for a wealth of info on every aspect of the bike. I went through mine from end to end when I bought it. No sweat.

And it will survive falling over with almost no damage.

Just to get more riding time (and save on the rising gas costs) I've started using mine with the hard bags mounted for almost all the shopping and errands I used to use the car for.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Go with the Multistrada.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here's what I'm doing. The tank's getting repaired and repainted "Dark." The bent bars are being replaced by DPerf dark bars. The shifter lever is being replaced. I'll buff and Krylon the other bits as appropriate.

I got a deal on the bike and financed it with the Duc 0% interest, so selling it is like giving away money. In addition, if I consider it a consumable rather than capital equipment it makes sense for me to ride it to death. And it is a darling bike.

So after it comes out of the shop in a month I'll decide what to do.

In the mean time my shop is cleared up enough that I finally tackled the VTec valves on the overly complicated VFR last night and got them about half done. To get to the front cylinder bank I have to remove the front wheel and other stuff. THAT is finicky work.

-Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts