Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instument cluster (panel/guages) compatibility

i was curious as to the compatibility of various instrument clusters on the various models.

basically, what i would like to know is can i put a later 2000+ tach/speedo assembly on a 1999 M900S.

.. or do i have to rewire it in someway to the harness, and if so, how.

also, can i remove the tach from a later model cluster and use it in the performance kit for the pre 2000 m900's

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm sure that someone w/ more skills in this dept. will chime in,but I'll tell you in short. The newer clusters have an immobilizer (which sucks ). The newer clusters are also ran from speed sensors located on the swingarm (older had speedo cables). I'm pretty sure you're gonna need the newer harness and a shitload of new sensors just to try to make the cluster work. Your best bet is to watch on Ebay for a used cluster w/ tach or here thru the classifieds. If it is possible, I'd really like to know how myself. Good luck.
MM

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Monsters in general:

'02 and later clusters require the '02 and later IAW 5.9 ECU to function, as well as most of the sensors.
To fit that to a '01 or earlier bike would require the wiring harness as well.
'02 and later bikes have the electronic speedo, with the sensor on the rear wheel.

'01 S4 has a mechanical/cable speedo, but still requires the IAW 5.9 ECU to function.

'01 and earlier non-S4 bikes I *think* are compatible with your '99, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^- thank you, i almost bought an 02 one, glad i did not... and i guess that may be why it is
hard to find 00 and 01 instruments.

i am going to try to get an 01 or 00... someone also told me i just have to provide and make my
own tach connections, just like the cf kit. ... worse case i wind up with a tach i can put in the cf mod case.

i was also thinking of putting a 916 one on, the 916 speedo part looks sharp and has all the same lights except the kickstand. i know i have to mod the connection or get a female blank connector so i
can use my existing harness and rewire the 916 instrument onto the new blank connector.. do you know if the 916 tach is electronic or mechanical.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I'm 99% sure the 916 tach is electronic, not sure if it gets the signal from the ECU or one of the ignition coils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts