Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience disassembling the instrumet panel for a '05 S2R800?

The bike I have just bought has a crack in the plastic face of the speedometer and although the panel functions fine I know its going to start bugging me. If I can find a instrument panel from a spared bike, im thinking I might be able to swap the moulded plastic case with my internals (hence no issues with the circuity matching ECU etc..).

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
If my memory serves me right:

Disassembly:

1) Remove the gauge housing from the triple clamp.
2) Unplug the gauge housing.
3) Remove all screws from the back of the gauge housing.
4) CAREFULLY remove the center bezel (idiot light cover).
5) Remove the screw(s) from under the the center bezel (idiot light cover).
6) Open it up. (Due to a tight seal, it will require a little muscle to get it off).
7) From there you are on your own. I believe getting to the lenses will require removing the electronics board. I didn't need to go that far to fix my problem.

Note: Gauge housings from earlier monster (e.g. 2003) do not have the screws on the back.

Note: Apply Di-Electric Grease to electrical contacts upon assembly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am currently working on the same thing you are, my gauge housing was damaged and im replacing. Luckily I found a killer deal on a set of S2R gauges that are not working but all the components are in good shape! $35!!!!! Gotta love ebay. I took some pictures for ya of my disassembly, keep in mind I have a 2003 620ie, but Im pretty sure its the same concept. Definately be carefull, I broke a few tabs taking apart my stock gauges.

This little screw once taken out releases the center "idiot light" portion, pry once loose, just pull it up and it comes off easily

Once you get the center piece off, DONT start prying at the gauges, theres still a screw that needs to come out

The center allen screw needs to be removed dont break this because its molded into the back case of the gauges

Once you take the center screw out, you will have to pry up holding the gauge face lifting the whole face and gauge cluster out of the rear assembly. My tabs broke on mine so I am able to pull the gauge face with the lenses off first. But yours will have click tabs on both the left and right side holding the gauge lenses to the cluster itself. Once you get the gauge cluster and lenses out, turn the cluster upside down and you will see 2 click tabs on the left and right, lightly pry both up and out and the lense cover will be removed.

Once the cover housing is off, this will expose the gauges, no matter how much you want to go VROOM VROOM with the Tach, I would advise against it ;D As Im not sure if this will screw up the needle location once its put back together.

To remove the gauge set from the back housing, lightly pull on the rubber lip, do this all the way around the gauges, gingerly pulling up to break the seal from the rear housing, its in there pretty good, and remember all these parts are VERY delicate.

Once the gauges are out, you can remove the rubber weatherstripping around the gauges, they just pull right off.

Once all the guts are out, now you have the rear case which you can replace with a new one or if your old one is good just slap it back together.

[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]
But in your particular case, just remove the top gauge housing and that will accomplish what you are wanting. I will let you know If I can hook you up with some clean lenses as my new gauge cluster should be here in about a week. Hopefully this helps. Be carefull with the parts as they are delicate, and make sure the weather strip is seated and sealed correctly when put back in or water will get in. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Excellent write-up, FLDuke. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
When I took mine apart, the electronics board stayed attached to the gauge housing face.

Since I had access to what I needed, I did not try to pull the board out.

Hey FLDuke,

can you post a pic of the back of the electronics board. I want to see how similar it is to my s2r board.

TIA.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dark StaR said:
When I took mine apart, the electronics board stayed attached to the gauge housing face.

Since I had access to what I needed, I did not try to pull the board out.

Hey FLDuke,

can you post a pic of the back of the electronics board. I want to see how similar it is to my s2r board.

TIA.
My lens cover was able to come out before the gauges because my tabs broke off that were holding the lens cover to the gauge cluster. With a NON broken unit, the lens cover and the gauge cluster come out as one unit, then you have to flip the cluster over and pry up the 2 tabs on the left and right, then the lens cover will come out.
Heres a pic of the back of the cluster. Once I get my donor S2R gauges Im going to try to see if I can transplant the S2R gauge faces onto my gauge board. Or if Im lucky the guy that sold me the S2R gauges screwed something up and I can get the S2R gauges to work! (Fingers crossed). Let me know if you need anymore pics, my cluster is still disassembled in the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is exactly what I am looking for.

I was close to forking out $1000+ to get my speedo fixed up. Spoke to the agent, but they insist on getting the entire gauge cluster changed....which is really rip-off! I chanced upon this thread and the details provided by FLDuke is superb!

When I can spare the time, I will definitely refer to the pointers and fix the speedo problem myself. Thanks, FLDuke!

Rgds,
Bandit2220.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also could use some tips/help...

I have a set of S4R gages, removed from the bike. I took the housing all apart and removed the gauge guts. I need to know how to remove the clear plastic lenses from the black plastic gauge face. Does anyone know how the clear lenses come out without damaging them?

·
Banned
21 Posts
If anyone really wants to know how to work on the guts (board) of the speedo and tac hit me with a PM. I just finished replacing all the orange surface mount LEDs with higher output red LEDs. To be honest the hardest part was getting the needles off, and second would be getting those little sucker tiny as hell LEDs straight on the board while I was soldering. At the end of the day...the red gauges looked pretty groovy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don’t mean to dig up a old thread but this was the only one that really had guidance.
I pulled apart my 2006 S2R 1000 gauge and it was different. This may help someone.

you have to remove all the screws on the back and then separate THE BEZELS off the cluster. DO NOT PRY ON THE IDIOT CLUSTER like other models. Once the bezels are off, you will see a screw that keeps the idiot cluster on.

I dang near snapped my idiot cluster cover in half.

Glasses Magnifying glass Window Vision care Goggles

Bicycle part Finger Bumper Bicycle drivetrain part Fashion accessory

Vision care Light Revolver Eyewear Magnifying glass

1 - 15 of 15 Posts