Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the DC area have a Stebel air horn installed on their monster? I just received one and I'm excited to give my Monster a serious voice on the street. But I'm a tad nervous about frying the horn switch and I don't know $#% about electrical work. I'd like a local consultant on this one. Anyone feeling helpful and generous with their time?

I've also been meaning to connect with the group for a while, but haven't. Looking forward to some rides in the spring if not mods this winter.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
All you need to do is determine the amperage of the existing horn and amperage of the new horn. As long as they are the same, or the new horn is lower, no problem. If the new horn is higher, you may need to up the fuse amperage and replace the wires to the horn. This information should be in the wiring diagram inside your manual.

Eric

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I dun it this summer.

I don't know if I have my instructions still, but did yours come with a relay and instructions? Mine was fairly easy, but the hardest part was mounting it.

The relay basically means the stock wires won't get fried because the horn switch actually ends up making the relay cut off the stock wires and then puts a current directly from the battery with other wires.

I cliff note versioned that partly to make it simple and partly because I don't think I could really explain it in depth.

I wouldn't be able to help for a couple weeks at least though.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Cycletryst... I'll see if I can dig up the instructions and scan them for you. If nothing else I can get them to you at Rhodeside one wednesday.

We have moved since I installed it, so there is a chance they got lost, but I'll do my darndest to find them.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Greerzilla said:
Cycletryst... I'll see if I can dig up the instructions and scan them for you. If nothing else I can get them to you at Rhodeside one wednesday.

We have moved since I installed it, so there is a chance they got lost, but I'll do my darndest to find them.
put me on that list of wanting the instructions also if you don't mind!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
No problem... now I have pressure to find them.

If someone hasn't got one yet, and wants one, bikerhiway.com is where I got mine and they included the relay and instructions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greez -- thanks pardner. I appreciate the effort. Hope to see you at Rhodeside (never been there, but good intentions...).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Ok, sorry for the delay. I just got back in town not 30 minutes ago so I haven't looked since I last posted. I'll give it a look sometime this week and post the results. Then, we can figure out how I can get the instructions to you guys.

Hope the cold weather is treating everyone well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here's how to install a relay, using one of the spare sockets in your fuse block (taken from an old post of mine on the subject):

"Wiring is pretty straightforward. First, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Hook the original horn wires to terminals 85 and 86 of the (supplied) relay. Use 14-gauge wire for the following connections. Tap into one of the brown wires that are hooked together on the back side of the fuse block, and connect a wire from there to the rear side of one of the spare fuse positions. Connect the front side of that fuse position to terminal 87 on the relay. Connect terminal 30 of the relay to the "+" terminal on the compressor.

Finally, connect the "-" terminal of the compressor to a good ground. Install a 25-amp fuse in the new position, reattach the battery ground wire, and go out and seriously injure someone's hearing."

If you don't want to mess with the fuse block, just hook a 14-gauge wire from the [ositive side of the battery through a stand-alone 25-amp fuse to terminal 87.

You need to watch out that you have plenty of clearance for fork travel. Use ratchet straps to fully compress the forks, and make sure nothing contacts the horn.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Odd Duc said:
If you don't want to mess with the fuse block, just hook a 14-gauge wire from the [ositive side of the battery through a stand-alone 25-amp fuse to terminal 87.
don't you at some point want to run the wire through a circuit that is closed with the bike is off...like the headlight for example?...so you don't have a battery draw off of it when the bike is off?...I know it would only be a few milliamps...but still.

·
Registered
480 Posts
zooom said:
don't you at some point want to run the wire through a circuit that is closed with the bike is off...like the headlight for example?...so you don't have a battery draw off of it when the bike is off?...I know it would only be a few milliamps...but still.
The high-amp side of the relay is open until you hit the horn circuit (which is not energized when the ignition switch is off), so there will be no drain on the battery. But it's always good to consider that when doing electrical mods.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
OK, I think the instructions are with my bike and most of my bike stuff at a friends garage. I'll find out Monday if I'm right.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't checked the list of possible mods for the upcoming tech day at Coleman's WB, but I wonder if enough people would be interested in this mod. I intentionally left the bracket in place that my emissions canister was mounted to specifically for mounting a stebel horn.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Found the instructions that came with the horn. They are BikerHiway specific, but will work if you set yours up the same way.

I'm going to try and post it here.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
OK, that didn't seem to work so well. If you want it, send me a pm with your email address and I'll email the full size attachment. It's definitely legible in full size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts