Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing a new pressure plate, some questions

so i am about to put a new pretty billet pressure plate in and i was wondering on
the installation and removal of the old one.

never done this before on a ducati.

besides loosening and then tightening them in a cross pattern, what else do i need to know.

i was also wondering on how i compress the springs so i can put the new ones in, what i
mean is, how far does the thread go out and how does one put the new screws and retainers in.
how tight should they be tightened. do i need to compress the springs to install, and if so can it
be done by just pushing on them.

i tried to search the topic but got a database error and as well got that when i tried to put this in the tech forum

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry this got posted more than once...

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back

i kept getting this message... and then i found it had posted them every time... [clap]

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Fixed it for ya.

My advice on the pressure plate is this;

- cross pattern is good.
- compressing the springs is NBD
- use a torque wrench. It's easy to break those little cap head screws (ask me how I know :-[ )
- The back of the pressure plate should have a dot or mark on it. Be sure to line this dot or mark up with the post that has a slot in it.
- check the bearing in the plate to make sure it moves freely and is nice and lubed up. (If you're installing a new plate you may want to just get a new bearing.)

That's all.

·
Registered
876 Posts
also, and i am sure sr. moore simply forgot to mention this important step ... (note: only for non-slipper style dry clutches)

look at the stock pressure plate before you remove it ... there will be a mark (usually a triangle or dot) cast into the outer surface next to one of the spring cups ... you need to install the new pressure plate (which will also have a mark) in the same orientation / location. this is because stock clutches (non-slipper style) are keyed to fit a specific direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts