Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week or so ago I made a trip over to Ducati Charlotte to ride a Sport 1000. As I was leaving I was talking to the sales guy about my monster- more specifically my Arc Fab exhaust. I mentioned that my inspection was about to be up and I would need to bring it in. I was then informed by said salesperson that I would need to replace my aftermarket exhaust with the stock to pass.

Now I could have sworn that this topic was specifically brought up when I took delivery of my bike (different salesman who works very infrequently). Something to the effect of, "We'll pass aftermarket mods for people who buy bikes from us." If I remember correctly he was telling me specifically how I needed to get a set of Arrow or Termi's. I'm going to call the service manager before I take them off, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with this.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
seems strange. they love the sound of my 105db race sils, actually had people in the back room listening to them as a sales pitch when i had some work done.

i've never had a problem on inspection anywhere i've gone. its technically illegal to change any exhaust, but no one seems to care.

also, in NC there is no noise restriction.

·
Registered
396 Posts
forgive the dumb question but how often do you have to have your bike inspected? does this go for cars as well in NC? I'm moving down in two weeks and this is the first I have heard about it. I hope the termies will pass the stock cans are way long gone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inspections, aside from being the biggest waste of time and money ever, are once a year (cars and bikes).

The guy I was talking to was relatively new (from VA I think) and may just not have known. I still have the stock cans so I'm not really worried about it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
They didn't even turn my bike on to see if the lights worked. Just looked at my plate, and license and gave me a new sticker.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
stateprez said:
About a week or so ago I made a trip over to Ducati Charlotte to ride a Sport 1000. As I was leaving I was talking to the sales guy about my monster- more specifically my Arc Fab exhaust. I mentioned that my inspection was about to be up and I would need to bring it in. I was then informed by said salesperson that I would need to replace my aftermarket exhaust with the stock to pass.

Now I could have sworn that this topic was specifically brought up when I took delivery of my bike (different salesman who works very infrequently). Something to the effect of, "We'll pass aftermarket mods for people who buy bikes from us." If I remember correctly he was telling me specifically how I needed to get a set of Arrow or Termi's. I'm going to call the service manager before I take them off, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with this.
If i am not wrong...not in 100% of there defense...but isn't the Arc Fab exhaust almost straight pipes.... and are a bit Loud? That might be the angle they are approaching...

Why not take it to a Honda shop and let them inspect it... They have no clue what a stock or not stock pipe sounds like on a duc ;) hehe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah mine are unbaffled- it still has the cat though. Sounds like running just the cat with a little more resonance.

I know where they're coming from since they're probably too loud. I was just trying to save myself a little trouble.

On a side note: is NCDMV slack on motorcycles? I never received a registration renewal in the mail, or a property tax bill for that matter.

C

·
0 Posts
what's this inspection thingy you fellers speak of? ;D I never worry with it(my inspection sticker is under the seat ;) ;D), what officer? motorcycles have to be inspected? >:D

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
cheapbastard said:
what's this inspection thingy you fellers speak of? ;D I never worry with it(my inspection sticker is under the seat ;) ;D), what officer? motorcycles have to be inspected? >:D
+1

The last time I had mine inspected was never.

stateprez said:
Yeah mine are unbaffled- it still has the cat though. Sounds like running just the cat with a little more resonance.

I know where they're coming from since they're probably too loud. I was just trying to save myself a little trouble.

On a side note: is NCDMV slack on motorcycles? I never received a registration renewal in the mail, or a property tax bill for that matter.
DMV doesn't keep up with it that well. It is not keep in a computer system like your car is. So they don't really know. Only way it matters is when/if you get pulled over and possibly during a license check.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Jobu said:
DMV doesn't keep up with it that well. It is not keep in a computer system like your car is. So they don't really know. Only way it matters is when/if you get pulled over and possibly during a license check.
Jobu and I got pulled over and the cop never noticed that both of us had lapsed inspections.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Rameses said:
Jobu and I got pulled over and the cop never noticed that both of us had lapsed inspections.
That's true. All he noticed was that your tag had just expired and that we were going to fast.

So why get an inspection?

C

·
0 Posts
Uroplatus said:
I got my 75 in a 55 dropped as well Pompetta.... Curse of the 14t!!! Bah!!! But i did get stuck with the Wreckless and Careless... :(
ouch Silas, that's gonna hurt, believe me, I know, been there, done that! :-\

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only time i had m inspection checked was at a license check point. the one cop walked around my bike about three times before i asked what he was looking for. so needless to say but i keep mine current. Its pointless and not worth the money but its also not worth the hassle of getting a ticket. Oh and try going to a Harley shop to get it inspected all of those guys run straight pipes!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
cheapbastard said:
ouch Silas, that's gonna hurt, believe me, I know, been there, done that! :-\
Layer stated that it wouldn't hurt me at all since i don't have any priors other than speeding...

So i don't know, guess we will have to see.

C

·
0 Posts
Uroplatus said:
Layer stated that it wouldn't hurt me at all since i don't have any priors other than speeding...

So i don't know, guess we will have to see.
man Silas, he's feeding you a line of bull man! Careless and wreckless is 4 points and freak'n kills yer insurance! Well, I don't wanna get ya down or nut'n, but put it this way... start saving up fer a huge insurance hike. :(

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
cheapbastard said:
man Silas, he's feeding you a line of bull man! Careless and wreckless is 4 points and freak'n kills yer insurance! Well, I don't wanna get ya down or nut'n, but put it this way... start saving up fer a huge insurance hike. :(
Strange... cuase he got me out of the speeding..and that would have been less points, and said that it was in the best to take the Wreckless and PJC the Speeding... I Have gotten an Insurace bill since then with no hike!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts