3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be the most expensive Helmet I have EVER heard of:
BMW : SportIntegral Carbon
SportIntegral Carbon
Product Code : 7260767925
Take four layers of carbon fibre. Then add one layer of Kevlar
$1,618.92 USD
The production of the extra-light SportIntegral Carbon helmet is particularly complex. Four layers of carbon fibre and one layer of Kevlar are draped carefully one after the other by hand into the right form and then baked in an autoclave, a high-pressure oven at pressure of 350 bar and temperature of 120 degrees for several hours. The impressive result is a helmet shell of unbelievable stability and a thickness of only 1.1 mm!

The SportIntegral Carbon is uncompromising: not only because of its rigorously reduced weight of less than one kilogram but also due to its field of vision which is trimmed to a sporty position. The rear edge of the helmet is cut especially low and offers optimum freedom of movement. The generous ventilation openings on the upper edge and the negative pressure ventilation at the rear ensure maximum air through-flow. This ensures that you keep a cool head on the race track. Reduced weight means increased wear comfort and more active and passive safety. The high-quality interior in DuPont Coolmax and the scratch-proof anti-mist visor also provide greater comfort.

The helmet comes fitted with a clear visor not the dark visor shown fitted to the helmet on our website. Dark visors are available to order online - Check your local legislation as to whether it is legal to ride using a dark visor - Dark visors are not road legal in the UK.

Technical Summary
Outer shell in Carbon Fibre and Kevlar laminate
6-section inner shell made of EPS with optimised damping properties
DuPont Coolmax interior fitting, removable and washable
Chin strap with double-D clasp
High arch cut-out in rear helmet edge
Additional neck strap for increased safety
Exchangeable cheek pads
Die-cast, three-dimensional, scratch-resistant and anti-mist visor (optical quality class 1)
Highly efficient head and visor ventilation
Weight approx. 950 to 1,000 g
Authorised according to European safety standards ECE 22-05

Accessories
Visor, tinted, scratch-resistant, antifog
Cheek pads in various sizes
Breath deflector

Attachments

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
i read about that. yeah, it's supposed to be the lightest and most expensive helmet. at less than 1kg, that's really stinkin' light.

for that kinda money, it had better have interchangeable anatomically-correct pleasure modules in various sizes for men OR women that you can attach as well! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simonster said:
i read about that. yeah, it's supposed to be the lightest and most expensive helmet. at less than 1kg, that's really stinkin' light.

for that kinda money, it had better have interchangeable anatomically-correct pleasure modules in various sizes for men OR women that you can attach as well! ;D
Yeah, I read about this helmet about a year ago & asked the guy at Cross Country BMW (now Ducati dealer as well) to try on the helmet. He just laughed at me. I asked him why, and he said they didn't really sell it in the USA because it is too expensive. He told me it was over a thousand.
:embarassed:

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
at least it looks like it's good quality. the vemar carbon was $900 MSRP, and that thing was poo.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
simonster said:
the vemar carbon was $900 MSRP, and that thing was poo.
What makes you say that? I thought it looked to be leaps and bounds over the HJC one. It looked to be high quality and was very light. What made it unacceptable to you?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Justin Sain said:
What makes you say that? I thought it looked to be leaps and bounds over the HJC one. It looked to be high quality and was very light. What made it unacceptable to you?
i had one. it was a piece of poo. the fit/finish was worse than even $200 helmets, the vents were cheap and flimsy, the visor mechanism/motion/seal was pathetic, and it had a very odd fit (only good for very narrow AND shallow-headed folks). luckily i bought it on closeout at $300, otherwise i would have been PISSED! i subsequently sold it to a guy with a narrow and shallow head. ;D

the carbon itself was pretty, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Good stuff,. thanks. I saw one for the 1st time Sunday and thought it looked decent, but I only gave the outter shell a once over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts