Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 1100Evo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking over this question for some time on and off, unfortunately I don’t have access to my bike at the moment I was hoping someone here has been successful on clearing the dashboard lights. (Mainly the maintenance light)

The scoop sofar.
Okay, from what information I have the 2013 Monster 1100 evo,
It is only covered via the M3C9 software and via the 4 pin Can Bus interface. (Supplied by LONLEC)

You can confirm with the software author on the JPDiag :: Index site

Does anyone have the steps to perform the rest?

When I have any other information I will update this post.
Pictures of when I got my bike last year.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Fuel tank

Tire Hand Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
193 Posts
I've used the LONLEC cables, but also have tried a few ebay-special versions. They all seem to work just fine.
For clering the codes, yes, the 4-pin cable you mentioned is the correct one, but you are not restricted to just the M3C9 software.
I've used EOBD-Facile on this same ECU for reading/resetting error codes and getting general engine readings.

Here: OBD2 Car diagnostic software for ELM327 ▷ Free download

It runs on MacOS/Windows and has an iOS and Android version too.
The company supplies their own OBD2 dongle (KlavKarr) which is a little pricey, but the EOBD-Facile software works fine with the generic OBD2 dongles too.
I have used both the KlavKarr dongle and also this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08887TNBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an aside, when I first bought the KlavKarr it didn't support Ducati well at all and I contacted their support with a few bugs/problems.
They were great, and released a revision of the software a few weeks later with pretty good Ducati support.
I'd say if they hear positive feedback form some customers, and/or get some more feature requests/bug-reports, they might continue to improve it.

·
Registered
2013 1100Evo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used the LONLEC cables, but also have tried a few bay-special versions. They all seem to work just fine.
For clering the codes, yes, the 4-pin cable you mentioned is the correct one, but you are not restricted to just the M3C9 software.
I've used EOBD-Facile on this same ECU for reading/resetting error codes and getting general engine readings.

Here: OBD2 Car diagnostic software for ELM327 ▷ Free download

It runs on MacOS/Windows and has an iOS and Android version too.
The company supplies their own OBD2 dongle (KlavKarr) which is a little pricey, but the EOBD-Facile software works fine with the generic OBD2 dongles too.
I have used both the KlavKarr dongle and also this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08887TNBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an aside, when I first bought the KlavKarr it didn't support Ducati well at all and I contacted their support with a few bugs/problems.
They were great, and released a revision of the software a few weeks later with pretty good Ducati support.
I'd say if they hear positive feedback form some customers, and/or get some more feature requests/bug-reports, they might continue to improve it.
This is great information, I’m going to download both and update once’s I get my bike out of storage. Thank you!

·
Registered
2013 1100Evo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is great information, I’m going to download both and update once’s I get my bike out of storage. Thank you!
I am reading the functions and capabilities/comparison list on the KlavKarr website. Which version did you purchase? Basic?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
193 Posts
I am reading the functions and capabilities/comparison list on the KlavKarr website. Which version did you purchase? Basic?
I have the KlavKarr 210 (I think it's called 'expert').
I also use it quite a bit on my Subaru and have used it to help a friend out diagnosing some problems with his Honda.
So I would't hesitate to recommend.

However you might want to be aware of some compatibility issues. There are various versions of the ELM chip that is used in these dongles for OBD2.
Early ones used a chip from a company called "ELM" and had a protocol/interface version number up to 1.4 or 1.5 IIRC.
These are very widely supported by lots of open-source software and freeware.
Newer dongles seem to have higher version numbers, e.g. 2.0 and 2.1. Not all of these are supported by older software.

Just so you are of the combinations that work/don't work - here is what I had last time I tried:

ScannerSoftwareCombatability
KlavKarr 210EOBD-Facile Works OK
KlavKarr 210M3C9Doesn't work
OBD2 ELM 327 V1.4 (from Amazon)EOBD-Facile Works OK
OBD2 ELM 327 V1.4 (from Amazon)M3C9 Works OK

Maybe others can add/comment...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the KlavKarr 210 (I think it's called 'expert').
I also use it quite a bit on my Subaru and have used it to help a friend out diagnosing some problems with his Honda.
So I would't hesitate to recommend.

However you might want to be aware of some compatibility issues. There are various versions of the ELM chip that is used in these dongles for OBD2.
Early ones used a chip from a company called "ELM" and had a protocol/interface version number up to 1.4 or 1.5 IIRC.
These are very widely supported by lots of open-source software and freeware.
Newer dongles seem to have higher version numbers, e.g. 2.0 and 2.1. Not all of these are supported by older software.

Just so you are of the combinations that work/don't work - here is what I had last time I tried:

ScannerSoftwareCombatability
KlavKarr 210EOBD-FacileWorks OK
KlavKarr 210M3C9Doesn't work
OBD2 ELM 327 V1.4 (from Amazon)EOBD-Facile Works OK
OBD2 ELM 327 V1.4 (from Amazon)M3C9Works OK

Maybe others can add/comment...
I was going to buy OBDSTAR iScan Fit for Ducati OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool IMMO Coding. ISCAN for DUCATI is a portable tablet which has super performance and industrial appearance design specialized for DUCATI. It is a new generation of intelligent motorcycle diagnostic equipment tailored for customers. Based on RK3128 quad-core processor and equipped with a 5.0-inch capacitive touch screen, brings customer professional diagnosis experience. 1. Support DUCATI diagnosis and k-ey Coding
2. New android 5.1.1 operation system;
3. Simple and intuitive menu guidance allows you to quickly understand how to use the tablet;
4. Provide complete diagnostic functions including code reading, code clearing, data flow, action test, setting, coding etc;
5. Menu selection is more convenient and quick;
6. Record and play back real-time data streams, quickly and accurately locate sensor and component faults;
7. Wi-Fi connection to the internet, one-click software upgrade;
8. One-click remote help function, OBDSTAR technical staff offer remote assistance.
9. Lightweight and portable, your motorcycle repair helper.
10. Multi-language: English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian,Turkish, Indonesian, Persian and Korean

Advanced function:

1. The first fault guidance, help data, technical bulletin, diag socket, etc. help you diagnose accurately and efficiently;

2. Diversified data stream display modes such as text, waveform diagram and instrument diagram, allowing you to easily analyze faults;

3. Automatic scanning, automatic VIN recognition, control module coding, E-C-U setting, instrument coding, tire pressure monitoring system, maintenance light reset, CO adjustment, idle speed adjustment, A/F value reset, ABS control unit setting, EOL mode, transmission memory reset, clear computer memory etc
It runs $500+ made in China comes with tablet- main cable-Ducati plug. They're on eBay. I'm new to this. I was going to buy it but wanted some advice first. What do you think???? Thanks

·
Registered
2013 1100Evo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to buy OBDSTAR iScan Fit for Ducati OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool IMMO Coding. ISCAN for DUCATI is a portable tablet which has super performance and industrial appearance design specialized for DUCATI. It is a new generation of intelligent motorcycle diagnostic equipment tailored for customers. Based on RK3128 quad-core processor and equipped with a 5.0-inch capacitive touch screen, brings customer professional diagnosis experience. 1. Support DUCATI diagnosis and k-ey Coding
2. New android 5.1.1 operation system;
3. Simple and intuitive menu guidance allows you to quickly understand how to use the tablet;
4. Provide complete diagnostic functions including code reading, code clearing, data flow, action test, setting, coding etc;
5. Menu selection is more convenient and quick;
6. Record and play back real-time data streams, quickly and accurately locate sensor and component faults;
7. Wi-Fi connection to the internet, one-click software upgrade;
8. One-click remote help function, OBDSTAR technical staff offer remote assistance.
9. Lightweight and portable, your motorcycle repair helper.
10. Multi-language: English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian,Turkish, Indonesian, Persian and Korean

Advanced function:

1. The first fault guidance, help data, technical bulletin, diag socket, etc. help you diagnose accurately and efficiently;

2. Diversified data stream display modes such as text, waveform diagram and instrument diagram, allowing you to easily analyze faults;

3. Automatic scanning, automatic VIN recognition, control module coding, E-C-U setting, instrument coding, tire pressure monitoring system, maintenance light reset, CO adjustment, idle speed adjustment, A/F value reset, ABS control unit setting, EOL mode, transmission memory reset, clear computer memory etc
It runs $500+ made in China comes with tablet- main cable-Ducati plug. They're on eBay. I'm new to this. I was going to buy it but wanted some advice first. What do you think???? Thanks
I have not used the OBS STAR Scan tool or know the extent of youre background knowledge.
That being said..The detailed list of descriptions you provided all sounds very good, sounds like it makes for an easy and painless experience.

Please provide feedback on your experience and keep this page updated, also provide details of your bike and hat you used the scanner for, best of luck 👍

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not used the OBS STAR Scan tool or know the extent of youre background knowledge.
That being said..The detailed list of descriptions you provided all sounds very good, sounds like it makes for an easy and painless experience.

Please provide feedback on your experience and keep this page updated, also provide details of your bike and hat you used the scanner for, best of luck 👍
I have ZERO experience in using any diagnostic tool or anything about codes. But someone gave me a 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S mechanics repair manual which is over 1000 pages and shows you literally every screw, bolt, part etc. It shows you how to literally take the bike apart and put in back together. Shows how to work on and how to get to ANYTHING on the bike. It’s a treasure trove of information. Gives you all codes. I mean this PDF can show someone with no mechanical experience how to do. So that’s why I was interested in a scan tool. The OBDSTAR is a little pricey at $500usd. Maybe I should try something like a Bosch scanner that’s around $60. plus a plug and save a lot of money and learn how to first. Any recommendations? And if you have a 2014-2016 1200 and would like the PDF I can hook you up.

·
Registered
2013 1100Evo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice !! With that kind of attitude the sky it the limit. I would recommend trying a less expensive solution prior to spending all that on a scan tool you will probably only use for 1 bike. Something like that for me is not worth it unless I’m working on multiple bikes.
I just came back from a weeks riding I did the Grand Algoma Route in Northern Ontario.. I even did a nice 6 hour route at the North side of Sault Ste-Marie and wrapped around Lake Superior over to Tahquamenon falls.
Anyways, once I have time ill mess around with the LONLEC stuff I have and update this thread.
read the above as some of the guys have a more cost friendly manor of resetting the maintenance lights an reading the diagnostic codes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very nice !! With that kind of attitude the sky it the limit. I would recommend trying a less expensive solution prior to spending all that on a scan tool you will probably only use for 1 bike. Something like that for me is not worth it unless I’m working on multiple bikes. I just came back from a weeks riding I did the Grand Algoma Route in Northern Ontario.. I even did a nice 6 hour route at the North side of Sault Ste-Marie and wrapped around Lake Superior over to Tahquamenon falls. Anyways, once I have time ill mess around with the LONLEC stuff I have and update this thread. read the above as some of the guys have a more cost friendly manor of resetting the maintenance lights an reading the diagnostic codes.
I’m basically new to all this. Not riding. I’ve been riding 35 years. With scanners and codes etc. my cluster dash is not working right. Left hand switch let’s me only scroll up but can’t get into any settings whatsoever. She stuck in sports mode. Odometer is just dashes - - - -. I haven’t a clue and trying to research this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts