Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At around 3000 to 4500 rpm at a steady speed I have a hic-up or a miss that is consitant but without a pattern. The bike now has 25k is a 2000 M900ie with an open airbox, highpipes, Powercommader, and 11.5:1 compression pistons.

I have done the valves, Dyno'ed the bike to ensure the Air/fuel mix is right (clean at 83 hp), changed the plugs, cleaned all of the elec conections, cleaned the air filter, changed the plug wires (the old ones checked out ok) and check the plug caps (4.99 ohms). :p

I am clueless where to go from here except to start looking for a loose ingnition ground somewhere. PLEASE HELP FIX MY BABY!! :'( ???

O

·
0 Posts
no experiance with the pcIII, is it easy to change the mapping? try different one. sounds like it might be a lean spot, depending if there is much of load on the engine.

R

·
0 Posts
Interesting......well I have the same bike..w/leo's. open airbox, can you explain better the hicup? Do you have the dyno run to look at? Does it stutter or hesitate?
I'm curious since I'm trying to get rid of the same thing possibly?
It's a cough/stumble through the airbox and a sometimes a hesitant throttle response?
If it sounds like the same thing to you let me know.
I am working the issue out with Doug Lofgren and Manley cycle.
If it is the same I have some more info then for you that may be relevant, and maybe we can compare notes on resolving it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have run it on the dyno and made very sure that I was not lean/rich. The Dyno I used has a build in gas anylizer. The stock map (which is leaner) does run better but I can still feel the problem. I make about 6 more hp with the map that shows the hic-up. It sounds like our problems may be different but I would love to here how things go for you... you never know what will help.

My hic-up is at a steady throttle only. I have good response and no hesitation. You sound like you have a fuel/air mix issue. I would suspect that you may be lean if you have not modified your map with your other mods.

Interesting......well I have the same bike..w/leo's. open airbox, can you explain better the hicup? Do you have the dyno run to look at? Does it stutter or hesitate?
I'm curious since I'm trying to get rid of the same thing possibly?
It's a cough/stumble through the airbox and a sometimes a hesitant throttle response?
If it sounds like the same thing to you let me know.
I am working the issue out with Doug Lofgren and Manley cycle.
If it is the same I have some more info then for you that may be relevant, and maybe we can compare notes on resolving it.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
have you had a careful TPS setup done to your bike? fuelie ducatis like it when this is all done correctly. otherwise, you could be telling it to open 10 degrees, but the TPS sensor is adjusted wrong and tellign the ECU you want 8 degrees of throttle opening. this makes for an overall OK running bike, but catches up with you during "cruise" mode at steady throttle.

good luck,
chris

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you done a TPS adjustment? It looks like I need either special equiptment or to have the Dealer do it? (it will be a first if they work on my bike)

R

·
0 Posts
Okay I did a little digging so I am changing my post......
First of all I like the TPS suggestion.....That is what Manley did first on mine and they found after doing mine a lot of 900's were off.....coincidence perhaps....I guess you need a multimeter,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be on to something about the TPS being bad since the bike seams to run between 10-20% throttle at 3000-4500 rpm most of the time. did you have the CO for the injection set when they did the other adjustments?

My bike has about 23K on it... doesn't seem like it should be worn out, but then again it is italian. ::)

R

·
0 Posts
the tps was the first attempt at getting rid of the hicup....now I need to backtrack everything as I do not know for sure if they balanced the throttle bodies, I assume they did, I need to go back to Doug on the dyno work also, which as I said will be hard to do right now...... :( but knowing Doug he did everything right....he really is an amazing tuner.....But I digress....I am going in tomorrow to quiz them on everything if I learn something I will post it here.
The last portion of previous post was a cut and paste I think from Bruce at BCM....about a differnt rpm range problem than what we have but I thought it could be relevant...anyway I am going to try to get me an edumication 'cuz ifin' I can get rid of the hicup and smooth out the lean spots I will be in monster nirvanna.......and I am so close. oh so very close.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main reason to balance the throttlebodies is to smooth out your idle and off idle response. If they are WAAAYYY out it can effect your normal running but a small deviation will not effect your riding performance. I hope you find the fix cuzz it is really starting to bug me. I know it is going to be even more pronounced when I put my new clutch/clutch basket in. It is just sitting here staring at me!! ;)

the tps was the first attempt at getting rid of the hicup....now I need to backtrack everything as I do not know for sure if they balanced the throttle bodies, I assume they did, I need to go back to Doug on the dyno work also, which as I said will be hard to do right now...... :(

R

·
0 Posts
Ducpilot...apparently due to my aggressive riding nature I have somehow wore out my fork cartridges... ;D
So as Manley is moving and their dyno is down and I am forkless and knowing you, like me, want to promptly resolve the hicup I am thinking perhaps you would like to call Doug Lofgren at Manley, as I will not be able to resolve this for another couple of weeks. I did talk to Doug and he wants to attack it on the dyno.
So he may have some good suggestions for you on your end.
Although he would look at the tps he did not feel that was the root cause. In fact once again in talking to him I get so much info that my head hurts............hopefully and it sounds like it by your posts
your brain can absorb larger quantities of tuner speak...... :)
I mentioned to him that there were more hicups like mine, and feel free if you do call to mention kevin sent you.

http://www.manleycycle.com/

again if you resolve da hicup please advise...thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts