Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

For those that want small bar end mirror but think $50 is a ridiculous price, there is an option. Check out these mirrors they have at REI, http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=11196231&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1 .

I put a pair on my Monster and they seem to work well so far. I have them mounted so that the mirror is below the bar, no worries about arms being in the way (no pics yet, maybe tonight). They don't appear to be convex, but provide a good view to the side and rear when adjusted right. They get a little blurry at speed, so there is no way to really tell if that's a cop behind you, but unlike the stockers you can see that something is back there.

To mount them, I first hacked off the fingers that grab the inside of the bar. Then I drilled out the bolt hole to accept the stock bar end bolts. That's all I did. A couple quick passes over the file to make sure the hacked end was flat and on they went.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the tip, I think I may have to try that, do you have one or two on? I was looking at bike mirriors before but did like how they were mounted. If somone asks I will say that there soppose to be on a motorcycle!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One note that I forgot to add. My 96 came with the aluminum bars, so even if I took out the internal bits the end weights bolt to, the ID of the bar would still have been too small. At least that's the way to looked to me.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I had the same problem with the ID of my bars when I installed the cheapo Emgo bar end mirrors. I had to file off the tab and mad some washers & grommets to make a compression fitting. As with the REIs, not to clear at speed but at least now I know that there is something back there.

Doc

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
best thing to do is to get the aluminum ones - find a pair of used ones and you'll be quite happy with them

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would these work with the cycle cat clip-ons? Have a 02 750 S been dropped twice now. Once by me once by a friend.. I am tired of repairing and repainting my tank for such a little impact. This is the unluckiest bike I own.. but a blast to ride...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just go mine in today, gona try one with lobbing of the expanding piece and drilling out the screw hold for the stock allen head bolt that holds the bar end. If it doesnt work out I will just put the other on ebay.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at those in the store. The first concern I had about them was that they probably won't fit into the ends of the Al bars on the early Monsters like my 96. The cheapies can be modified to use the existing bar end mounting hardware.

But the real problem I have with those is that they stick straight out the end. This makes the bike unacceptably wide for my use here in SoCal. The cheapies aren't any wider than my elbows which makes it very easy to judge clearances.

Don't me wrong, I am not knocking them outright. They are good mirrors and the real glass would be cool to have.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, those are the same mirrors fitted to mine a couple months ago. They had 'Cateye' in fluro green written on the back so I sanded it off and gave 'em a coat of matt black. Also had to mod the inserts to fit my bars but no real probs.

Mine are fitted with the mirror pointing up, and first couple of times I was knocking them with my glove getting on/off but now its fine. They sit close to the grip but you get used to it.

I'm still after some CRG's but a cycle shop here had these for $6 AUS, can't beat that. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was test-fitting them, I noticed that they were quite close to my hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts