Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard it said that it's a good idea to change your oil when winterizing it. Do you all go with the ducati recommended Shell oil or some other kind (I mean oil is oil right?). Also, where do you get your filters from? I got a non-ducati brand oil filter from Dennis Kirk last year for my old Monster. I might do that again unless you all have a better idea.

Lastly, might it even be better to drain the oil and leave it drained until spring? And obviously putting oil in before attempting to start it in any fashion would be advised.

G

·
Yup, it's a good idea to change oil before storage... Check the tech section for one of the best synopsis' on oil ever conceived... Oil is oil, but not all are created equal, but I can't recall there ever being a case of "are you crazy, don't ever use that brand oil"... How much are the DK filters...? I know the Duc ones cost about $10... There's supposedly a new filter out there for Duc 2V's, made by Amsoil hat is far superior to anything else out there.. Some kind of synthetic element, as opposed to the good ole' reliable paper stuff... I would recommend against draining the oil.. I would advise you get the engine good and hot (with your new oile) before storage, just to burn off any residual moisture... [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You will not find the Shell Ultra 4 in the US. It's A European formulation, not available here, so don't waste your time lookin for it.

I use a Shaeffer 20-50 synthetic blend. Both Silverback and Manley highly recommend that brand.

Lots of folks seem to like the motorcycle specific Mobile synthetics.

Some car oils are NOT good for bikes with wet clutches because they have additives that mess up the clutch plates.

My approach is just use something that has been tested by someone else rather than finding out the hard way.

I get oil and filters from Silverback.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Leaving the sump dry with no oil is inviting corrosion.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
If you have a wet clutch be sure to use oil that is approved for a wet clutch. Otherwise it causes problems :( Don't ask how I know ;D

I use expensive moto specific fully synthetic oil. Figured I wouldn't mess with cheap stuff when it comes to oil, probably the most vital wear component on an air cooled bike.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll be holding off on winterizing it. I was planning on doing some of it this weekend but with the forecast showing mid to upper 50s next week I think I'll wait.

Silverback? Is that a website? Or a 3-D store near by? What's its addy in either case?

I'm pretty sure mine has a dry clutch. I can remove the clutch cover and watch it spin around. So it seems dry to me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts