Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my wife a 2000 monster 750, great little bike, but would like to make it stand out a bit more, one thing i dont like is the skinny rear tyre (160) having a 190 on my TL1000 makes the duc's look horrible, I did read somewhere that you can replace the 750 (5.5") rim with one from a 900 (6.5").
However the color is different.
Has anyone here done this mod? I dont think the stock rim could handle anything bigger than a 160.
Appreciated. ??? ???

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can put on a 170 on the back with out new rims. I upped both my back tire and front tire by one size when I replaced them. Went with Metzlers M1 sportech. I think they are 170/60/17 rear and a 120/70/17 front.

They look great but my chicken strips now look bigger because of the bigger tire.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a before (160) and after (170) picture on the same rim?
My dealer had told me that you won't see much difference because the tire will just curl up more into the rim and you'll end up with worse handling because of the altered shape of the tire.
I'd love to have a fatter tire in the back though!!!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Your 750 rim is 4.5', the 900 comes with a 5.5" rim. You can comfortably run up to a 170 on the rim you have now, & a 180 on the larger rim (although I have seen a 190 squeezed on). Color is dependant on year more than model, you can use any SS or Monster rim expept from a CR, which has the same rime you have now.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I need a new rear tyre on my M900 very soon and i have been thinking of maybe switch to one size bigger. The one on now is 170/60-17 but i want to fit 180/55-17. Anyone who have done this and can tell me if there is anything negative about it ??

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Narrower tires always handle a little better, but it's not a big factor, most people run a 180 rear on their 900s. Not a problem.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be interested in purchasing a wider rear wheel (5.5" Brembo) for my '03 620 if the price is right.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I just did it... went with a Diablo 180. Didn't really notice much of a difference on the few rides I've taken since the change.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you go a bigger rim? or just a bigger tyre on your existing rim?

has anyone actually put a bigger rim on their monster???

Any issues with clearance? i.e hugger?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts