Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mind has been set on getting a M620 since I'm a beginner and feel this would be just perfect for me for a few years without having to keep trading up after every 2000 miles. I've been looking around eBay, cycletraders, bunch dealers as well as private parties. Most of them are around the range of > 5000 miles with an almost new price tag or between 10 to 15k miles. I really didn't want something over that range since I've absolutely no experience with bikes only with cars. With that said, I've found a few bikes that I like. There are a few '04/'05s and a few '02/'03s with the prior being almost $1k more in price of course and almost all these are out of warranty or have around 6 month left. I've read alot of posts and searched the webs on what to look for on a bike, but being a complete noob, the knowledge doesn't really help me sufficiently if I do go by myself to private parties.

If I do buy from a dealer, I will definitely asked them if it was checked and verified to be functioning well. But my question is, how would I know they are telling me the truth? Sure, they can do some cheapo fluid changes, show me it's clean and shinny, but that might be the extent of their superficial services just to show a potential customer that it was carefully scrutinized by them. Let's say I decide on an '02 from a dealer, it would be sold as is. I'm willing to pay more at the dealer for that extra confidence being it's my first bike, and a Ducati none-the-less. I'm just afraid of being screwed. What should I do?

Another fear is the age of lets say an '02. I realize there's tons of riders with absolutely no problem with their Ducks. On the other hand, there are alot of people and it's been generalized that Ducks do have more maintainence problems. Is an '02 considered old? What mileage is considered problematic? And one last question. M620s didn't change anything through it's lifespan did it?

Thanks for listening. Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated since I'm trying to get a Duck in the door by next week.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I don't think an 02' is old. I ride an 01' I which I purchased brand new. However with a 620 I would try to stay under around 8,000 miles. Not that anything over will have problems. Sounds about right though to me. Honestly to keep from being screwed, buy a new bike if you can afford it. Then you will know it's taken care of and have a warranty which I used on mine several times. Buy New!!!!!!!!
If the money allows. Leftovers are good, get an 06', hell an 05' if ones hanging around somewhere.
any more questions I'll be happy to answer with my "expertise"

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought my 06 620 new from the dealer but if I had it to do over again I would buy used low miles in good shape. Just ask around on your local board and find a dealer that has a good reputation and buy from them. I think by the time I'm done with mods most of my warranty will be voided anyway >:D

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the suggestions. It's just so tempting to buy used Ducatis because their price decreases are sometimes over 3k from retail. I never did like used cars and bikes worries me even more. I guess my best bet would be to go with my gut instinct and buy something new. Then at least there would be no buyer's remorse. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are lots of low mileage great condition bikes out there - personally I think it the way to go, expecially if you are a beginner. Depending on where you live you could probably find an 02-03 for around 4k and you'd still save a bundle even if you factor in maint, tires, etc - you can even mod it to suit you with the saved cash ;)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GIR said:
There are lots of low mileage great condition bikes out there - personally I think it the way to go, expecially if you are a beginner. Depending on where you live you could probably find an 02-03 for around 4k and you'd still save a bundle even if you factor in maint, tires, etc - you can even mod it to suit you with the saved cash ;)
Just found a bike or two actually. I've two choices, brand new '06 red 620 negotiable price, but not that much. Or, '01 750 Monster with less than 8k miles and never dropped. For about 6.5k or few hundred less OTD, I can get the '01 with 2 year extended warranty from an authorized Ducati dealer. Gave me much peace of mind and saved me about 1-2k on the price. Currently, I'm leaning towards that. We'll see tomorrow night when I personally go check it out and talk it over. I might just be driving my 1st Ducati tomorrow [thumbsup]

750 I believe had carb engines instead of FI, and I believe it has no tach? Also, it's 5 gear instead of 6, but otherwise, the new 620s and old 750s seems pretty much the same. Any comments on the 750 before I drop a few grand? I understand it's harder to warm up in cool weathers, but not sure about the pros and cons. I'll have a talk with the sales person tomorrow. What would you guys get? ~8.3k or so for '06 620 with standard warranty or ~6.5k for '01 750 with 2 year warranty?

·
Registered
208 Posts
at that price and warranty cover, the smart call has to be the 750. as soon as you start seeing what can be done to a monster and how you can tweak it, you'll be glad to have that extra $1800. And if the dealer offers that kind of warranty, you konw they've checked it over to cover their own arse so it's got to be sweet. You may find the 750 needs new tires pretty soon if they've been on there for a while but apart from that, it's probably pretty sweet! still, you have to go see them, sit on them and follow your gut. i wanted new, but saved so much on buying second-hand it was a no-brainer. sure it's nice to have the latest and fresh from the factory, but for the money i've saved i got a new helmet, paid off my insurance, bought a jacket, and another one, and cyclecat clip-ons, and boots, and a tinted visor, and gloves, and and and.... i still haven't spent what i would have on an 06 620.

i've got an 02 620ie, had 7500kms on the clock, fully serviced with history. no damage to anything. just had to get new tires.

thats my 2 cents. good luck. and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
The M620's have changed over the years. Steel tank or plastic, color of the background on the gauges, side stand switch(for warm-up) front brakes(gold lines or not) one or two disks up front, screen or no screen. depending on the year these things changed.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ducrider45 said:
The M620's have changed over the years. Steel tank or plastic, color of the background on the gauges, side stand switch(for warm-up) front brakes(gold lines or not) one or two disks up front, screen or no screen. depending on the year these things changed.
Don't forget to mention that the single disc bikes had 5 speeds - Dual discs have 6 speeds.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spidey said:
That 750 is way overpriced.
Yeah I understand it's overpriced, but didn't know it was way over :p Since I'm a first time buyer, I was paying more for reassurance I guess. I'm going down tomorrow to check them out so we'll see how it all pans out. This is so damn exciting. Never felt like this buying all my cars or even my first car [cheeky]

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had a few bikes,not as many as someinc an R6, M750, an xr650 and a triumph speed triple but have found my '01 monster s4 the easiest bike to ride that I have ever owned.

I believe that anyone with half a brain can ride this bike just as safely as a M600/620/675 and still have plenty left over in reserve. I've ridden the s2r and s4rs and think thay are just as good and just as safe if you have any common sense at all.

Hey if you twist the cr$p out of your throttle on the 620 or any monster they can hurt you the same. I say buy the best and biggest you can afford, don't lose a bargain etc just bexcause you think it will be too quick etc. after all they only go as quick as you twist.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I checked out Los Angeles Craigslist under "motorcycles for sale" and here is what comes up when you do a search for Ducati: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=ducati There is a 2000 Ducati 900 monster for $5800. And what about looking under Monster for sale on this board? I just found this right under our noses:
Quote:

Hey folks, it's SoCalMonster posting for my friend Gene.

For sale: One, basic, bone-stock red 620 with 3k miles on it. No scratches, dings, marks or mistreatment of the bike. Gene is a very responsible rider (Slow ), so I can vouch that he never abused it. The only history I know about the bike is that it came from Howard Kelly who used to be the editor of Hot Bike Magazine, and the bike was test ridden and photographed for the magazine...yeah, who cares...lol. Gene is asking for 5k, but he's a horrible negotiator and you could probably whittle a few bills off the price.

Gene can be reached at 951 371 2197 if you're interested or have questions.

Best,
SoCalMonster

1 - 18 of 18 Posts