Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short and sweet question/answer I hope.

I've got a brand spanking new 2002 750D Monster. Only mod (so far) is a side stand mod to allow me to warm up the bike with the side stand down.

My biggest complaint so far is the clutch. I've only got 20 miles or so on the bike so I'm hoping that this is more break-in related. There seems to be absolutly no fiction zone, it's as if the clutch is a on/off switch. I've ordered some adjustable levers to see if anything improves.

So some specific questions..

Will the clutch friction zone improve with more break in time?
Should I expect a bit better performance from the adjustable levers?
Is a aftermarket clutch cylinder a good next step?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Will the clutch friction zone improve with more break in time?
probably not, but you will get used to it and think it did

Should I expect a bit better performance from the adjustable levers?
if the lever is yoo far a reach, the better reach will give you better controll

Is a aftermarket clutch cylinder a good next step?
up to you. if and when i need one, i will go aftermarket.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>Will the clutch friction zone improve with more break in time?
>probably not, but you will get used to it and think it did

yeah i fear that answer but i guess I am getting use to it.

>Should I expect a bit better performance from the adjustable >levers? if the lever is yoo far a reach, the better reach will give >you better controll

yeah its the last little bit of letting out the clutch that it seems to start to grab. Pulling this in a bit might help. I shall see if UPS actually delievers my levers.

>Is a aftermarket clutch cylinder a good next step?
>up to you. if and when i need one, i will go aftermarket.

Okay but will a cylinder improve the clutch action or is this more a failure of the clutch design? A lot of the bikes i've ridden in the past (R6, CBR, sportster) you can take off in 1st from a dead stop with no throttle and just clutch it. This damn duc is a "monster" to get moving. (pun intended).

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My only addition to what Howie told you is that the aftermarket slave cylinders do widen the engagement zone, as well as make the pull easier. It's nothing magic, it's just the physics of a larger piston on the slave cylinder.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One problem you might be having is that the gearing is so tall stock.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
xlemming is correct about changing gearing. i only did 1 tooth in the rear, as i didn't want to give up top speed. small difference, but makes lane splitting and slow second gear corners possible.

as usual, Speeddog is right on the money. the aftermarket cylinders reduce effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts