Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, so be gentle.

Just received my brand new(pre-owned ;D) 2001 750 dark. It has 1300 miles. I had the bike inspected before shipping from a "reputable" Ducati dealewr before it was shipped.

This is my first bike. Only experience is the MSF basic course.

These are my impressions from my first ride, please comment and help me with a few questions.

The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't like to idle, and as soon as I attempt to roll the throttle from idle, it stalls (like if it starvs for gas!).

Finally got it going, however, when I try to recreate the slow manuvers of the MSF course (figure 8, etc) which I manage by just letting the bike cruise at idle, it stalls. However, even worst is that it hesitates, jerks and stalls as I try to roll the throttle to accelerate after cruising at very slow speed.

At speed (maximum tested was 3rd at 40 mph) it seems fine. However, this thing is no cadillac. As I said before, this is my first bike so I don't know what to expect, but this monster is really rough around the edges regarding smothness, vibration and harshness! Is this the way Monster feels! or are this beasts (I mean Monsters ;)) actually very smooth bikes? It does remaind me of my MSF course 125 dual suzuki I used during the course.

I did some slalom and evasive manuvers and it (should I begin calling the Monster "SHE"? 8)) handle them great.

The other detail that bothers me is that the handlebars have several rust spots in its chrome finish! Is this normal? and How can I clean them?

Thank you all for your input

R

·
0 Posts
Re: Impressions on new/pre-owned 2001 750 dark, he

True Chrome should come clean with almost any metal cleaner as long as the damage is not too far gone.
As for your idle roughness, I found when I changed to my first V twin, I had to learn to use the clutch differently. After a few short rides it all came together.
I rode a 750 dark a few weeks ago for around an hour. At first I was feeling alittle like you are now. But once it warmed up and I got it to highway speeds I loved it. It feels real nice at higher RPM's. And hummed right along. In town it was a great change to be able to sit flat footed at lights with even a bend to my knees. The bike is so light compared to my Aprilia Futura. I find the Aprilia's in general to sit a little too high for me(5'11" with short legs I guess). Not that I have problems with a racing position, I had 2 YZF-R1's and loved them. I just didn't like the feel of the Aprilia's. I can't wait to get my S4R next week.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

your bike needs to warm up a bit before it will run well. even then, at very low speeds, use the "friction zone" they told you about at MSF.

if your bike has not been re-jetted , consider doing this, or at least, turn the mixture screws out 1/2 turn. the bike came out of the factory set lean. gearing down will also help. my 750 is 1 more tooth on the rear sprocket, as i didn't want to give up top speed. many folks go 2 teeth.

do you have the service records from the prior owner? your duc might want it's 6k service. even though it onlly has 1.3k miles, it is 2 years old.

best of luck with your purchase

·
Registered
4,533 Posts

I agree it will not run well if not warm. This might be too basic, but if your dealer did not point it out, there is a lever next too the left hand grip that you can set when the bike is cold. It bumps the idle up to apprx 2000rpm. Makes riding easier until the bike is warm.

Good luck.

Mitt

·
Premium Member
279 Posts

even worst is that it hesitates, jerks and stalls as I try to roll the throttle to accelerate after cruising at very slow speed.
Sounds like you need to re-jet or at least play with the mixture screws a little. Are you running the stock cans?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

I found that my girl is only happy above 3 grand when I am riding. It does seem a bit sluggish at low speeds. As far as the idle adjust lever- dont ride with it on. just be patient and let the bike warm up enough to where it wont cut out. I tried to shift from neutral to first with the RPM just a shade over 1,000 RPM and it made the loudest most disgusting clunk. So I NEVER leave the driveway with that switch pulled forward.

·
Registered
206 Posts

same experience here when i got my monster - $27 gets you a smaller front sprocket that makes a world of difference. that tall gearing will make life miserable at speeds below 10mph.

cheers!
steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks to you all.

I did warm the bike, after which it did better.

A friend of mine test rode it, and he believes the carburators might need some cleaning. Would this be too expensive?

What is jetting?, what does it accomplish? How much would it cost?

Thanks again for your replies and comments

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

since you are asking what jetting is, i'm making the assumption you are taking the bike to a shop. if that is the case, you are probably best off discussing this subject with the shop that will be doing the work. if you are not comfortable with the explanation you are at the wrong shop.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Thanks to you all.

I did warm the bike, after which it did better.

A friend of mine test rode it, and he believes the carburators might need some cleaning. Would this be too expensive?

What is jetting?, what does it accomplish? How much would it cost?

Thanks again for your replies and comments
As for getting the carburetors clean, my advice would be to put a couple tanks of good gas through it and see if things improve. In my experience, a surprising number of carb problems will sort themselves out with some use. Failing that, you can open up the carbs and spray them out yourself, or pay a dealer to do it - not a huge job, but in my experience any time you start paying for labor it always ends up hurting, you know?

When you jet a carburetor (in this case a pair of carburetors), you change the sizes of some of the internal passages ("jets") in the carb to alter the air/fuel mixture. In real life, this almost always means setting the thing to run richer, which may or may not make an improvement in maximum power on an otherwise-stock bike, but will usually improve rideability somewhat, at the possible expense of fuel efficiency, spark-plug cleanliness, and piston/cylinder longevity.

M.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I second turning the mixture screws 1/2 turn out. I did this yesterday (drilling the brass plugs out is a pain - not much acces with the drill even after oil cooler removal).

Bike idles better and runs a little smoother at low RPM

Also keep in mind that the bike could be sitting at the dealer for a while. I'd drain the tank and put fresh fuel in. My bike ran like crap after the winter (too lazy to winterize it), so i drained the tank, put new fuel in and all was well

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts