Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is a similar post today about importing / exporting monsters, I thought I would ask this Q-

Has anyone brought a Euro-spec Ducati into the US. I want to know how difficult & $$ it is before purchasing one here in France. I will return to the US in 6 to 12 months, so I might just have to wait :'(

Has anyone done the "pick it up at the factory & tour Europe" program that Ducati does/did offer?

mitt

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Re: Importing mnstr into the US / Factory delivery

I used to do alot of shipping overseas, and that was a huge pain in the butt. All the different taxes and fees and what not.. I guess it depends on the weather you are going to have over the next 6 months. I dont know where Grenoble is.. I am sure there will be plenty of Monsters in the States when you get back. I'll tell DNA to put one aside for you!
There was a guy that lives in Ireland I think it is that kept his bike registered in the US to keep insurance down. If I have some time, I'll dig around for an importer/exporter for you to talk to. I may still have some contacts in my old rolodex.

·
Banned
551 Posts

Mitt - I checked into it a couple of years ago - but you are probably gonna have to troll some Italian dealers. I was able to find one dealer in Italy (through the Ducati.com site - dealer area) that responded to me in Jan 02 that he could get me a US spec s4 for like 9000 Euro (new) - plus Italian taxes. I don't know if you are going to be able to get a Euro spec bike into the states due to emissions standards.

I don't have many tips for you, but you are gonna have to just try emailing or calling dealers. I don't think Ducati sells US spec bikes directly in Europe (at least I don't think so because they never respond to emails - go figure) - so you are going to have to find a dealer that will do it for you. That includes costs for them - so you might have to look hard. And that US spec bike pickup at the factory plus delivery was seriously for people that had 3-4K to throw away. The cost of the touring, plus the bike and shipping didn't really add up - especially if you can do it yourself.

Good luck - it could really be worth it if you are going to have to bike for a while in Europe and then pay to ship it home. You will have to check with a US embassy on Duty etc. If you have the bike for a certain period, import duty to the US will become smaller to non existent. If you are leaving in 6 mos to a year - taxes / duty and the time it takes you to figure it out, may make it prohibitive.

·
Registered
668 Posts

Ciao Mitt,

lets try to meet next spring,
maybe somewhere in the Alps ?
;D

Anyway,
you should have all the right to buy whatever you like here in Europe and use it as your transportation.
All goodies here should go well as E-approved also in USA.

If you live, work, love here in Europe over certain (?) period, you should be able to carry them home when you go back.
Bicycles, lawnmovers, hairdryers, rubberducks, and italian wine and machinery.

If not, this world is strange and has nothing but envy and hate.

Skier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts