Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this seems to be a very confusing subject.
I have found some links and threads on this subject and what has to be done. What I have found so far, a US dealer will not sell a new Ducati to Canadian, unless he/she owns property in the US. Transport Canada says anythin 2002 and newer you can bring into Canada. I think the kicker which one dealer told me is that Ducati NorthAmerica will NOT issue a recall letter for any Ducati 2008 or newer. So I gather that if a guy bought one, brought it back to Canada, you would not be able to plate it because of this letter. Someone must know a little more on this subject. Let me know. Really want a 2010 Ducati 848D but there is a huge price difference between US and Canada Ducati's. Same bike and close to $3000.00 difference, this does not seem right to me. Anyways pm or reply.
Thanks.
Chad

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder who the extra 3K goes to? One is perhaps the conversion rate, buy my assumption is the Canadian govt, which is why there is red tape in purchasing the bike in the US and legally bringing it to the great white north.

Allow me to rant....
In Illinios we used to be able to get around Cook ( Crook) county taxes by purchasing in another county. Problem is if you live in cook county they were somehow adept enough to figure this out and charge you the difference in tax, but somehow managed to be probably the worst run county in the entire US.
Done ranting.....and thats why I live in DuPage county and purchase nothing in Crook county, not even gas.

Jim

·
Registered
241 Posts
The biggest problem with the new bike is that you will have NO warranty. Dealership agreements prevent a border state dealer selling to a Canadian and even if they did you would not be able to get any service unless you wanted to pay for it. I looked into buying a Duc in Washington state but decided to get it here instead. If I were to be buying used it is a no brainer, but not when new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts