Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that wheels don't typically strike a rider looking to modify his/her bike as an attractive performance option.

Usually this is for 2 reasons:
1. Aftermarket lightweight wheels are very expensive
2. They don't APPEAR to "make the bike faster".

Of course, the more experienced riders among you can attest to the fact that a good lightweight set of wheels make the bike MUCH (!!) more responsive feeling.

But, here's some data for you "it's not more horsepower" guys:

I have a custom computer program I built to evaluate the effects of gearing, horsepower, and weight changes on the acceleration of a motorcycle or car. Usually, I accumulate data on a specific model, feed it in, and try different "what ifs" revolving around weight reduction, gearing changes, and engine mods.

Today, I read in a Yoyodyne article on Mavic Piuma wheels (sent to me by Strati - thanks, Strati!) that they have been documented to reduce the quarter mile time of a Hayabusa by 0.15 second.

Just for laughs, I fed in increasingly larger percent power increases for my own S4, with already optimized gearing, into the program, to see how much the power would have to be increased to make a 0.15 second reduction in quarter mile time.

The stunning answer was: 6.5 percent.

Think about that. Those of you who know much about the REAL costs of making additional horsepower know that to get 6.5% takes a LOT of work and a LOT of money. And, while it improves straight line acceleration, increased horsepower does nothing for handling and overall (multi-dimensional) responsiveness, whereas lightweight wheels TRANSFORM the motorcycle far more than a 6.5% increase in power does.

Food for thought.

Jim G

·
Registered
796 Posts
You dont have to tell me brother! Ive got PM wheels on my 1994 M900 and they make a HUGE difference, all over the board.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
You're preachin' to the choir reverend! Pass the collection basket for the BST's! hallelujah! ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just mounted my 10-spoke Forged magnesium Machesinis this weekend and it really woke up my S4R. I have done this mod on my past bikes(M900 & 916) and would highly recommend it. They look great as well, whats not to like :)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I agree on the wheels , dollar for dollar 2nd best thing next to FCR's to light up my life. I put em on the 748 as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts