Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for looking at my question.

This is my first Ducati and i am a little hesitant to trust my local biker friends advice.

I just bought a 2000 M900. It had 1500 miles on it and had yet to go in for its first service. My buddy said that ducatis MUST get the first oil change after no more than 800 miles.
That is why i am a little scared...

I did the first oil change no problem.

My buddy also said that it is imperetive to get the 600 mile service done anyway because:
1. they go over the bike and make sure its safe to ride, ect.
2. they tighten all those "magical" bolts to make the bike perform better.
3. And this is important. They adjust the timing belt tensioner.

the last thing is what has me worried. I am scared to ride the bike anymore until i get the tensioner adjusted. I took off the cover for the tensioner and it looks very simple to adjust. It doesnt seem like it would require the MYTHICAL skills that my buddy told me the dealer posseses! I just dont know how much tension should be on the belts.

Is there a good way to approach this without having to go the dealer? I dont want to spend $$$ to do something that i have done many times on other bikes and cars before.

Thanks a 1000000!!!!

Michael

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: i'm new.....

If you are mechanically minded, go out and buy yourself a maintenance book and the info you are looking for will be there. Clymer is a good source and won't cost as much as the duc book.

You most likely have nothing to worry about and will probably find the belt doesn't even need to be adjusted. The first oil change of course should have happened at 600 miles, and then every 3000 or so after that if you ride hard and your model is air cooled.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

There is a specialty tool to adjust the belts correctly, I can't remember its name but good dealerships will have it. I wouldn't worry aboutriding your bike right now, but go get it serviced- it could potentially save you big headaches down the road.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

If it were me, I'd go to the dealer just to make sure everything is A-OK. Why someone would neglect to have a 600 mile service is beyond me. They obviously didn't respect their bike.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml;$sessionid$

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/manuals.jhtml#my2000

Check these links you will find the parts catalogue and manual.
The manual will show you the maintenance intervals and what is checked, replaced, lubed, and adjusted, etc.
Don't worry too much, however I think your friend sounds trustworthy to me.....I also think it would be worth having it checked......

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

First, be afraid... just kidding..

The first service on any vehicle is very important.... Do you want stuff falling off. They should change oil and check everything to make everythings tight and in spec.

peace

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

Here's a link to an article about tensioning belts:
http://www.ducatisuite.com/belttension

I'd go for the service too but only because I don't know enough about Ducs and motorcycles in general to feel comfortable that everything is cool. I do a lot of my own work on my cars-just replaced a drive axle on my SAAB-but I don't have much experience working on MC's to feel confident yet. So I had the service done and rode with peace of mind until my 6K service where I was invited to hang out and watch and learn-very cool and de-mystifying. Your belts need replacing anyway since they are 3 years old (3 years or 12K miles on belts). So maybe have the service done and the belts replaced while they are in there. But after watching the belts get adjusted an seeing the simplicity of the 5mm trick, I supposed I wouldn't be too daunted at doing it myself. Anyway, my vote is for the dealer performed service! Good luck and congrats on the new bike!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

for the belt tension you should be able to slip a 5mm allan wrench between the belt and idler pulley... also you should be able to twist the belt 45 degrees off its plane when properly tensioned... less and it's to tight... more and it's to loose.

get yourself either a factory manual or a haynes manual at least. that'll go a long way to reduce the fear. you can download the parts manuals from ducati.com... that'll help too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts