Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally signed up for a racing school. I'm really excited but nervous at the same time. Any pointers I should be aware of?

·
Registered
98 Posts
motogpfan said:
So I finally signed up for a racing school. I'm really excited but nervous at the same time. Any pointers I should be aware of?
I have no pointers only envy [thumbsup] My 2007 goal is to do a track day....I must before I die :angel:

CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK [clap]

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well are you going to "racing school" or a keith code type deal? While those schools do help, they aren't really racing schools per se, at least at the entry level. In any case, I recommend just going there with an open mind, a good night's sleep, and well-hydrated. Everything else will follow. Just try to be loose and enjoy it for what it is, if you go there trying to set the world on fire, you will be quickly disappointed...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to Ed Bargys school, they offer a certificate that allows you to participate in ccs and wera events. I think after your first race you get issued some sort of license.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Ok, so it's a new racer school. Usually they teach you more about flags/procedures and such than about actually racing. Not that that's a bad thing mind you. What I stated above is your best bet. I'm sure they'll have plenty of staff to coach you a bit, but there is no one day school that will really prepare you for racing. Getting fast is about getting comfortable going fast and getting lots of seat time. I would just relax and enjoy and make sure your bike is prepped and ready to pass through tech first thing in the morning. And, it's necessary to have someone with you to help you out if you need any little things during the day. If it's anything like my new racer school was, you'll be going nonstop between the classroom and the track and you'll barely have time to eat let alone work out any little bugs your bike might have. Plus, if you wad it up, your partner will be able to help you pack it up and drive you home.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I think he needs to redesign that website, my god I could've put something better together in dreamweaver in about 10 minutes! To the real point, it looks fine, same basic rules as any race school-get undera certain lap time (which isn't that fast usually) and don't crash, pretty easy. He seems to be pretty ambitious about what he teaches though. I don't know that you could thoroughly cover all that material in one day, but I suppose it's a start. Like I said it looks pretty standard and if that's the only way to get your license, then I suppose it'll do. Would I choose that for a school? No, I'd much rather do Keith Code, Schwantz (which I've heard amazing things about BTW), or Freddie Spencer (also heard great things). But, if your primary purpose is to get your license, then I say go for it and get ready to watch your billfold shrink. If it's just to learn to ride/race better, I would opt for a different program.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hey it might be great, kinda hard to say without 1sthand experience. Any way you look at it, track time is good, be it through school, track days whatever. Certainly nothing bad will come of it, so you have nothing to lose, [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Ed Bargy is great! Tony P usually does tech and Ed serves as the race director for WERA SE typically. Faynisha is Tony's wife and usually helps with registration. I take it you are doing school at JGP?? Make sure your bike is prepped befor you get there, get there the evening before the class. Also mount up a real pair of DOT's for the class, you won't have time for tire swaps should it rain etc.

You will learn that there is no gyroscopic effect w/ motorcycling and that you don't counter steer.

And the number 1 thing you will remeber is "When you are going full-tilt-boogey, and you get to your turn point, turn the bike I don't care if you are too fast, too slow, hit a false neutral, are stuck in gear, turn the bike!!" [thumbsup]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xsr71x said:
You will learn that there is no gyroscopic effect w/ motorcycling and that you don't counter steer.

And the number 1 thing you will remeber is "When you are going full-tilt-boogey, and you get to your turn point, turn the bike I don't care if you are too fast, too slow, hit a false neutral, are stuck in gear, turn the bike!!" [thumbsup]
OK, starting to get confused.

I get the turn the bike thing, but the counter steering?

I'm getting nervous again.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
he'll draw a picture of a bus and use a broom to demonstrate!,,, you will be OK, just remeber Ed has some serious physics etc. background.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
tsd345 said:
Umm, go fast..... ::)
Actually, don't fall, speed does not matter at race school!

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Tell us all about it when you're done -- and don't forget to post pics of your new racing license [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
darylbowden said:
I think he needs to redesign that website, my god I could've put something better together in dreamweaver in about 10 minutes! To the real point, it looks fine, same basic rules as any race school-get undera certain lap time (which isn't that fast usually) and don't crash, pretty easy. He seems to be pretty ambitious about what he teaches though. I don't know that you could thoroughly cover all that material in one day, but I suppose it's a start. Like I said it looks pretty standard and if that's the only way to get your license, then I suppose it'll do. Would I choose that for a school? No, I'd much rather do Keith Code, Schwantz (which I've heard amazing things about BTW), or Freddie Spencer (also heard great things). But, if your primary purpose is to get your license, then I say go for it and get ready to watch your billfold shrink. If it's just to learn to ride/race better, I would opt for a different program.
Well which one of the three did you like the best?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts