Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about it for a long time now, and everytime I see a bike on the DML with a tail-chop, I get that little bit closer to doing it.

Anyone here chopped the tail off their monster?

Any arguements for and against doing it?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooh **** :(
thanks Rob...... something to consider.

my bike has termi race cans on it anyways. do 2 wrongs make a right?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
first primo - i don't like it
second primo - it limits your buyers market should you choose to sell it
third primo - too much "do-it-yourself" work to which i have no talent

...but, whatever makes you happy, mate

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ah, you're going to chop as in cut-the-metal. I'd be sitting next to my bike with hacksaw in hand a long, long time before doing that. If I did, I'd make it into a project bike, and definitely a keeper.

But, your bike, your rules.

·
Registered
446 Posts
pepsduc said:
I've been thinking about it for a long time now, and everytime I see a bike on the DML with a tail-chop, I get that little bit closer to doing it.
Wot bike you got again? ah 620? ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've got 2 monsters (m900 & s2r800) - one for me and one for the missus, so I luv 'em, and don't get me wrong here...

but...

what the FRECK were the designers thinking of with the tail!!! Get your hand off it guys! Plastic is for prophylaxis, not for stamina.

It is the most dysfunctional, crappy, wannabe piece of cosmetic plastic crap.

CUT IT OFF!!!

The beer tray on my m900 disintegrated. The rear indicators on my S2R have both disintegrated from nothing more than normal use.

The only way to rectify these problems is to take control of them and fix the design flaw.

Tail chop.
LED replacement tail light and indicators.

No more problems.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys [thumbsup]

I'm in 2 minds again. After building up the courage to do it, i'm not so sure now.

The look with the tailchop is IMO sooo much better than standard.

:-\

G

·
Pepsduc,

I know what you mean, I was out riding with mmick yesterday, and all I could do is look at his monsters tail chop and think hmmmmmmmm. It definately does look better.

If it were me I would ask myself whether this bike is a transitiion thing, or is it a keeper? Me, I'm not sure the M800 will be a keep forever thing, so hence I hesitate.... Do you yearn for more horses, or are you content with the 620? If the latter, and you can see yourself keeping it, then do it, damn it, and don't forget the pics!

Having said all of that, technically it is not legal, as I believe that Australian design standards state that the rear wheel needs to be covered or something like that. So a cop could give you a hard time over it.. but then again, maybe he'd miss the tail chop cause he's too busy fussing over your race termis, or whatever else..

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey I love the beer tray, I reckon the secret with keeping them in shape is by keeping them moist all the time by liberal applications of a cold frosty can or stubby of mmmmmmmmm, beer.

I'm all for chopping off the stupid plate bracket but I'd never chop the tray off, way too handy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The rule says:

"Rear wheel guard covers wheel from a point vertically above the foremost part of the wheel to an arc rearwards, up to a line through the centre at or less than 45 degree to horizontal"

So, the end of the 'guard' has to be at least on a line at 10.30am, (looking at the right side of the bike), no matter how close it is to the wheel. Mine are bith somewhere between 10.30 and 11am, even with the chops.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah gee pepsduc I'm hearin ya! Mate it took me 18 months to sum up the courage to cut mine off but now that I've done it I reckon its got the cutest arse on any bike around, I like the LED option but I have'nt done that to mine yet just mini indicators, crickey mate my heart was in my mouth when I put the hacksaw to metal, bloody kids took some photos of me doing it.
At the end of the day you gotta do what YOU think is best, I kept my end bit so it could be welded back on if nessesary, I removed the seat lock and cable and I now have just a short cable which you can pull by reaching under the seat, also I fabricated a plate for the number plate to bolt too.
The tail light lense was cut at the bottom and a clear plastic piece was put in to illuminate the number plate, thats about it mate- good luck.

Mmick

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, i'm fancying the tail-chop once again guys.
seems most are in favour [thumbsup]

Most of you would have read about the Cookie1 kit that is available in the US?
I've contacted him and we are working on a kit to suit our Australian plates.

But i've taken on board comments about weather my bike is a keeper or not.
Although its been a great introduction to Ducati Monsters, the 620 leaves a bit to be desired.

So I've decided that I will be selling her soon.

I went and had a look at an '04 1000Sie on Sunday. Not a bad bike. 5000kms. Guy wanted $15K for it....way too much!

No, I've decided a new bike is in order. Have never owned a brand new bike.
Am thinking the S2R800. I like the black with red stripe.

Or should I just go for the S2R1000?

This bike will be the keeper!
i need to get my decision right.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
GeoffB said:
...and not a water pump?
Having owned both 2-valver and 4-valver engines, I say go with the Testastretta/Desmoquattro. There's so much more passion in that engine. I went from an M620 to an S4R and have never looked back. And with all the O2 sensor problems befalling the S2R1000 I've got even fewer regrets.

Oh, and don't sweat the tail chop. You can keep the whole assembly and put it back on temporarily if you need to prove to the coppers that your bike is legal :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
pepsduc said:
Or should I just go for the S2R1000?

This bike will be the keeper!
i need to get my decision right.
Get the S2r1k as you get more grunt, dry clutch and that DS engine is sweet. (the 02 sensor doesn't seem to be an issue down here). - Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.