Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK My replacement parts are on the way. And I've had a revilation. I'm going to do the whole bike up in flat black. The tank, rear sets, pipes, frame and eventually engine cases will be flat black. I wanted to find out what type of paint would be best. I've thought about high temp barbque pain for the engine cases and exhaust. I just wanted to see if anyone else might have done this.

H

·
0 Posts
Barbque paint won't last too long. On the frame and other parts, PPG DP90(I think) is a 2 part epoxy primer, that is super hard and is satin black. It's easy to shoot and lays down smooth. It'll work on the engine cases, but it will change the thermo dynamics if used on the cylinders. I've seen it used on exhaust parts, but you would be best to get black ceramic coating for the really hot stuff.

I think it's a great idea! :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah, I think that would look sweet. I've seen a few bikes on this board that have gone in that direction, but none that made the full commitment.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my pipes are already black, thanks to strati. I bought another monster tank and will get it painted flat black so I can ride with the dented one, while I wait. As for the frame and engine. It dosen't get cold here in Houston to stop riding so I'll have to get some money together and start tearing the bike down.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Hanjin, I've thought about doing this myself, but don't really have the balls to go through with it. I'd love to see pics when you're done...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing i'm worried about is that I have a lot of shiny CF parts on my bike. I'm going to have my body man prime the tank in flat black and see what it looks like I can alway paint it then.

·
Registered
584 Posts

I used Color-Rite "supposedly" factory-match matte black. NOT. If I had it to do all over, I'd used Krylon flat (on the bodywork) and be done with it. Seriously. Frame and wheels are gloss black powdercoat (to give contrast). Exhaust is high-temp flat black exhaust paint. Engine is flat gray engine enamel, all from your local Autozone/Pep Boys/Checker.

CF parts? Ditch 'em. :p

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.
dion

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dion, How much prep work did you do before painting your pipes? Has it held up? Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Prep? Bah! ;D

Actually, I bought the pipes with crash damage on the left side. I filled in the dent with bondo, reshaped it, did some very light sanding on the hole can and shot it with rattle can. It sticks very, very well. Been on for nearly a year now.
Dion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts