Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was referred here by a guy on my Honda s2000 car site. Anyways, I am considering my first street bike and a few guys recommended the 620 Monster to me. I was wondering if anyone in the OC/Costa Mesa area would have some time this weekend to meet up for about an hour and educate me on the bike. I also want to know whether I should buy new and how much I can expect to pay. I'm willing to meet somewhere or drop by your residence. Whichever is most convenient.

tks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi tks.

Off hand I think only Kevin and I own 620 monsters. I live in Valencia and he lives in Pasadena somewhere (i think?). If you want to drive this weekend we'll be at Newcombs at 10ish on Saturday morning. Newcombs is on Angeles Crest Hwy.(the 2) about 25 minutes up the road from the 210. I'll be there, along with other Monster owners who can give you their 2 cents. If not there's the Long Beach Motorcycle show on 12-12 throught 12-14. You can get the full scoop from the ducati factory reps.

It's my first bike and I love every second of riding it. It has so much more soul than anything that Japan puts out.

The new '04 620's come with two things my bike doesn't have and that I want: a slipper clutch and a sixth gear. I could use both big time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skekoam, congrats on your descision to get a duc! As a 620 owner I feel obligated to point this out. You won't regret buying the 620 except that you might start wishing you had more oomph! If you ride by yourself or with folks on lesser bikes you'll be fine. If you intend on riding with people on faster bikes you may start to feel a bit slow! Think about the 800 or the 1000 if money isn't a problem. You can make the 620 faster but you would spend considerable money to do so and may be better off getting the bigger cubed bike.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
There is a new Duc Special, the 620 Capirex (sp?) that looks pretty sweeeeeet.

Go pick one of those up and enjoy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kev, you're right on the money reg. the road type. I've had no problem keeping up with riders on bigger bore sport bikes(that's as long as they have the same experience as I do). I concur with posts in the past that state ,"the number one performance mod is the rider!" I also know that when you start catching up to your bikes limits, you begin to get power envy in a bad way! The 620 is cheaper to buy, insure, maintain and less likely to get you into trouble! Another cool part of owning a duc; Most people who don't own a bike think it's faster than anything else on the planet!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
On the tighter roads, the small Monsters can keep up, and more!

I've ridden with David/Supafly in the tight stuff, and had to twist my S4's tail pretty hard to keep up.

I've ridden with Matt/mrg2k, down the tight side of Palomar. I was attempting to keep up with Chad/SoCalSar on his S4, so I was pushing hard. Matt was behind me on his (I'm pretty sure) 620, and he got balked by a car that I got lucky passing easily. He caught back up to me plenty quick, even though I was out of sight. I've seen the video from the camera mounted on his bike........

A 620 would be a good first bike, for sure.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The 620 is an excellent first bike. I would buy used (you ARE going to drop it, and be it in your garage), and if lack of power ever becomes an issue you can turn it around with no or minimal loss and get something bigger.

I will be in Costa Mesa next week to pick up my tank from the painter. We can meet up there and talk a bit if you want.

-R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts