Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people. I live in Sydney, Australia and am fortunate enough to be coming across to SF on a work junket at the end of April. Cycle parts are so expensive here, we get hit with all sorts of marks-ups. For example, my m800 '03 was $15,000. So I want to do some shopping in SF.

A few questions for the locals:

1. I want to get my hands on some mod parts and gear, maybe some pipes and an ohlins damper. Maybe even some boots. Can anyone suggest a good retailer? The ohlins damper retails for $900 here which kills me, and the price of boots is equally crazy.

2. Was thiking of taking some time off after the conference and hiring a monster for a few days if possible. Anyone know where this can be done?

Thanks a mill

Davey

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
try ordering set up boots online. good stuff.
don't know that you can rent a monster anywhere. I've seen harley rentals but why the hell would anyone want to do that? ::)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
happy with the setup boots, hey? I've seen them advertised in two wheels, and had a look at setupaustralia.com.au. Nice price. I wonder, though...how the hell did the sizing work if you couldn;t try them on first?

Seriously about the damper, do stores in SF keep these in stock or should I pre-order? Here things take 3-4 weeks to arrive, and I just don't got that sort of time.

·
Registered
571 Posts
These guys rent Monsters http://www.sportbikerental.com/ but I think they are LA based.

I know a friend of mine is coming out here to see us in September, and has rented one from them, but, think she may be coming up from LA anyway.

Other than that...looks like its a H*rley.....

::)

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
In SF proper there are a few stores you can try:
Munroe Motors (Duc dealer)- www.munroemotors.com
Desmoto Sport (independent) - www.desmotosport.com
Scuderia West (independent) - www.scuderiawest.com

Munroe's has decent stock and I know has Ohlins stuff in stock, but you'd want to check to be sure they have your part. Won't be really cheap for the US, but in Oz prices might be OK. Desmoto doesn't have a big showroom, but they do have tasty bits, so again, I'd check first. Scuderia is more fun to browse, and they have a nice selection of leathers. Munroe and Scuderia are within a few blocks of each other. When you're done shopping be sure to go across the street from Scuderia to Zeitgeist and have a beer.

If you have a car you can drive down to Redwood City (about 45 min south of SF) to Motostrano (www.motostrano.com). The shop isn't big buy you can order something for pickup. In the same general area is Moto Italiano (www.motoitaliano.com) in San Mateo.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
you can also check out road riders in san jose, lots of moto gear. the aforementioned shops are pretty cool also.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks heaps guys. much appreciated.

PS just got my bike back after a week in the shop, riding around a cb250...........I'm back!

G

·
I'd advise going to the Motostrano Web site (see above post), then ordering online and picking it up where you're out here. Depending on what you're trying to buy, it's likely they won't have it in stock.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
A few questions for the locals:
Well, I'm a Sydney local...

2. Was thiking of taking some time off after the conference and hiring a monster for a few days if possible. Anyone know where this can be done?
There used to be a place in Santa Cruz called Britalia that'd rent you a Monster, wasn't cheap though, $180/day + $2k security from memory... (Still, the Aussie dollar is doing a lot better than the 49 or 50c it was hovering around when I went looking, so maybe its not as bad as I remember)...

(http://www.britalia.com/ doesn't appear to work anymore though... Are they now called Moto Italiano, by any chance?)

When you're in San Francisco, make sure the local hooligans take you to Zeigeist - its a great place to drink beer, talk bikes, and tell lies about how fast you are ;-)

big (the buggers moved _my_ annual junket to Portland...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts